Author Topic: Occupy Auckland  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
Occupy Auckland
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:50:47 pm »
It seems that while protestors for Occupy Auckland in New Zealand were being routed by the cops, they ended up catching the cops with their pants down, so to speak.

This is one of the reasons I love knowing that anyone with a cell phone likely has a camera too.

http://news.msn.co.nz//nationalnews/8407827/occupy-auckland-protesters-stand-firm

Some of the protesters were also concerned about reports that three police officers, who supported security guards on Monday morning as they tried to get the group to leave, were wearing identical identification badges.

One said the incident was "very shonky", while another said it was not surprising that it had happened.

A little more looking and I got this:

http://www.infonews.co.nz/news.cfm?l=1&t=145&id=84094

Three police officers are the subject of an employment investigation after they wore matching identification numbers at an Auckland Council lead operation today.

Police Policy is for each officer to wear their own identification number.

An employment procedure has commenced into this breach of policy.

And a bit more searching to find this:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6301469/Auckland-police-probe-after-Occupy-arrests

Three police officers are being investigated for wearing matching identification numbers while helping Auckland Council evict Occupy protesters today.

Protesters claim up to four officers in Aotea Square were wearing the same badge number - Z557 - while police shut down Occupy camps this morning.

Photographic evidence partially backs those claims, with one photograph showing two officers wearing the same number.

Police this evening released a statement confirming the officers were now "subject to an employment investigation" over the incident.

It is police policy for each officer to wear their own identification number.

"An employment procedure has commenced into this breach of policy," Inspector Gary Allcock said.

Police, security guards and council staff today moved to shut down the Occupy camps across Auckland, leading to the arrest of three protesters and frequent scuffles and standoffs between the parties.

Protester Merlin Blackmore, who today claimed four officers were wearing the same number, claims the identical numbers are being used to allow police to act with impunity.

"The police are supposed to have an identification number so you can identify them if they're being naughty.

"That's like having two people with the same driver's licence or passport... One of them was one of the people who was being physically quite brutal whilst arresting a protester and yanking them out of the van."

Blackmore believed police could use this tactic to deny complaints, saying the officer could not be identified.

However, the break-up of the protest and subsequent arrests were carried out in front of a large media contingent and members of the public.

You know, I'm a little surprised that by now law enforcement hasn't picked up on the idea that 8 out of 10 people have a camera in their pockets and wearing a uniform of like having Record Me tattooed on their foreheads.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen