Author Topic: What's wrong with voucher programs?  (Read 6353 times)

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
What's wrong with voucher programs?
« on: July 30, 2013, 04:15:49 am »
As I understand it, it's letting lower-income parents send their kids to private schools free of charge. It seems okay to me, but since it's a Republican idea, I assume there's something wrong with it I'm just not seeing.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
Re: What's wrong with voucher programs?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 04:32:06 am »
Well, That's the official story. However, the real reason is basically to get people to go to religious schools, and to weaken the public school system, and to essentially make education a commodity controlled by business.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 04:43:07 am »
Not only that, the vouchers wouldn't even begin to cover the cost of private schooling. Seriously, private schools are expensive as hell. Lower income kids would have to go to public schools anyway, and public schools would have even less money than they have now.

Vouchers are basically a way to give a big fat check to the 1% with kids and funnel tax money into religious institutions.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:45:56 am by ScrappyB »
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 10:09:49 am »
Erm, not that I'm calling you liars, but...how are they using this to funnel money to religious institutions, exactly?  I'm legitimately curious.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:04:02 am »
said private schools are usually funded by a church.  They really do bankrupt the public school

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 11:29:54 am »
There are almost no secular private schools.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 11:38:25 am »
I didn't think so, just for some reason, my dumbass head wasn't connecting the dots.  Thankee!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 11:46:35 am »
I didn't think so, just for some reason, my dumbass head wasn't connecting the dots.  Thankee!
No problem ^_^
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 11:51:52 am »
Why can't low income parents send their kids to public schools?
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 11:54:45 am »

Let me put it this way. My school is one of the better and well funded public schools in my area.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 11:57:31 am »
All depends on the area. My schools in Florida were so awful my parents homeschooled me for a few years. Up here, the school is really, really weird, but also really good. That said, MadCat, dear non-existent god.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 02:51:09 pm »
The private school voucher idea was dreamed up years ago by ALEC and their legislator droogs. It's just about justifying their scamming of the federal government to "claw back" their corporate and private income taxes...plus another 1000% more money beyond that. Wish there was a way to collate it all and get a real dollar figure on how much these policies net private companies. Notice how the GOP smoke screen is to call 47% of the population dole pigs? But the real fraud is the technically legal gouging of federal aid programs by companies and their rich asshole CEO's, like FL Governor Rick Scott did with Medicare. That made his company billions of dollars.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 04:00:21 pm »

Here's a simplified version. Say the cost to educate one student for one year is $5,000. Right now, a school district gets $5,000 for each school-age child that lives in the area, whether or not that child goes to a public school. If the child is home schooled or private schooled, the public schools still get the money. What this voucher system would do is take that money away from the public schools and give it to private schools, leaving public schools with less funding. It hurts anyone who is forced to use the public school system, which includes low-income families.

The rich families who send their kids to private schools get a nice fat break on their tuition, and the poor families who must rely on public schools anyway get the shaft.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:02:01 pm by ScrappyB »
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 08:01:23 pm »
Keep in mind some students need more then his 5000 dollar amount since the school needs to foot the bill for like aides

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 08:25:31 pm »
Schooling should be equal, and therefore should be public. That's the problem.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR