Author Topic: Drunk Driver in CO Immune from Prosecution  (Read 1555 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
Drunk Driver in CO Immune from Prosecution
« on: February 01, 2012, 02:58:25 pm »
If this turns out to be true...There is no hope left for America

Under an obscure state law, elected officials making their way between “legislative events” have immunity from prosecution and Bradford was given a cab home..

Bradford told police when she was pulled over at 10:00 pm that she was leaving a legislative event and had to be back at the state capital in the morning, which was reportedly enough to trigger the law — a law of which Bradford now claims to have been unaware. Denver police, however, say that Bradford refused to waive her immunity under the law when asked, since it would have resulted in her being taken into custody for a breath or blood test.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/02/01/colorado-republican-faces-questions-after-claiming-immunity-during-a-dui-stop/

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Drunk Driver in CO Immune from Prosecution
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 03:02:06 pm »
While some states do have this I thought it only applied to minor stuff like lane changes or speeding

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 06:45:59 pm »
Sounds like a case of an old law not keeping up with modern circumstances and an asshole politician exploiting it. I mean, it's not OK by any stretch of the imagination but unless she's just another in a long line of such cases, I imagine it will be corrected soon. Won't help this case, but she did just hand her opponent the perfect attack ad for whenever she's up for re-election.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 06:48:49 pm »
Big surpise; it's a Republican.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 06:58:28 pm »
Did anyone else think of Lethal Weapon when they read this?

Unfortunately if this is the case, and there isn't a new law that negates the law she says covers her, then there is nothing that can be done.  If this is the case, then a new law will probably be passed through, although, one nay vote would probably be guaranteed.