Author Topic: Judge orders man to call himself a bully  (Read 7439 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Judge orders man to call himself a bully
« on: April 14, 2014, 09:15:59 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/judge-orders-ohio-man-to-wear-i-am-a-bully-sign-1.2608931

I AM A BULLY! I pick on children that are disabled, and I am intolerant of those that are different from myself. My actions do not reflect an appreciation for the diverse South Euclid community that I live in.

Yep, a judge ordered a 62-year-old man in Ohio to hang around a street corner displaying that sign for five hours the other day.

He now says that it's ruined his life.

Here's what he apparently did:

Aviv has feuded with his neighbour Sandra Prugh for the past 15 years, court records show. The most recent case stemmed from Aviv being annoyed at the smell coming from Prugh's dryer vent when she did laundry, according to the records. In retaliation, Aviv hooked up kerosene to a fan, which blew the smell onto Pugh's property, the records said.

Prugh has two adult adopted children with developmental disabilities, cerebral palsy and epilepsy. Her husband has dementia, and her son is paralyzed.

Prugh said in a letter to the court that Aviv had called her an ethnic slur while she was holding her adopted black children, spit on her several times, regularly threw dog feces on her son's car windshield, and once smeared feces on a wheelchair ramp.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Judge orders man to call himself a bully
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 09:38:56 pm »
If this is true, it's better than he deserves.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 09:57:53 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/judge-orders-ohio-man-to-wear-i-am-a-bully-sign-1.2608931

I AM A BULLY! I pick on children that are disabled, and I am intolerant of those that are different from myself. My actions do not reflect an appreciation for the diverse South Euclid community that I live in.

Yep, a judge ordered a 62-year-old man in Ohio to hang around a street corner displaying that sign for five hours the other day.

He now says that it's ruined his life.

Here's what he apparently did:

Aviv has feuded with his neighbour Sandra Prugh for the past 15 years, court records show. The most recent case stemmed from Aviv being annoyed at the smell coming from Prugh's dryer vent when she did laundry, according to the records. In retaliation, Aviv hooked up kerosene to a fan, which blew the smell onto Pugh's property, the records said.

Prugh has two adult adopted children with developmental disabilities, cerebral palsy and epilepsy. Her husband has dementia, and her son is paralyzed.

Prugh said in a letter to the court that Aviv had called her an ethnic slur while she was holding her adopted black children, spit on her several times, regularly threw dog feces on her son's car windshield, and once smeared feces on a wheelchair ramp.
More punishments should be like this.

I'm also guessing the judge did this for the guys own good.

I'm pretty sure if the inmates found out what he had done he would be looking at getting beaten nigh-constantly.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:00:10 pm by I am lizard »

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:58:21 pm »
I doubt this accomplished anything other than possibly making him even more of an asshole out of spite.
Σא

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 10:14:18 pm »
Hope so.  Because the next step is jail.

Ironbite-and they don't like people who fuck with kids in jail.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:28:34 pm »
I doubt this accomplished anything other than possibly making him even more of an asshole out of spite.

Then he'll get himself in more trouble and this time wish that his punishment was being dog-shamed.

"Natural selection": the legal way.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 10:59:49 pm »

Then he'll get himself in more trouble and this time wish that his punishment was being dog-shamed.

I wonder if he's as scared of jail as he should be.

You could be in some gang prison in LA and the inmates would think bullying adopted kids is low.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 11:13:40 pm »

I thought punishments like that were unconstitutional per the Eighth Amendment.

Unless it's the usual circumstance to force people to stand on street corners with those signs, which sounds kind of fucked up.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 11:17:27 pm »

Unless it's the usual circumstance to force people to stand on street corners with those signs, which sounds kind of fucked up.
I think the reason is because he's old and the other inmates would eat him, a 26 year old would get screwed up (possibly literally) by the other inmates, he would most likely end up trying to kill himself or something.

But yeah, this isn't exactly the kind of things judges should be doing, and they could have just had him perform a bajillion hours community service.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 11:23:17 pm by I am lizard »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 11:21:21 pm »

I think the reason is because he's old and the other inmates would eat him, and I mean it's not like they ordered him to the shackles.
Considering all the shit he could be charged with this is basically getting of easy.

Yeah, but it may have been some sort of plea deal, as he did plead no contest.

Here's another source on the matter:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/04/accused_bully_says_judge_who_s.html
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 11:23:57 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 11:26:09 pm »
You know, it's nice to see a new story involving a judge without words like "Asking for it" and "Affluenza".

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 01:38:09 am »
Normally, I'm against these type of punishments, but what an asshole!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 01:56:31 am »
Were I the judge, I would've also made him shout loudly; "I am also a very big fan of dog shit!"
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 05:49:12 am »

I wonder if he's as scared of jail as he should be.

You could be in some gang prison in LA and the inmates would think bullying adopted kids is low.

Especially disabled ones!

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 06:16:09 am »
Eeeeh, it might backfire, sure, but it might also actually work. A lot of bigots and bullies are about societal order; they justify their attacks against others because they perceive them as being 'not normal'. If this sort of public shaming gets to him, if he feels the disapproval, there's a chance he'll care a lot more about whether he fits in his community than whatever sentence some judge he doesn't know and an abstract legal system give out to him.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.