Author Topic: Security flaw in IE puts Windows XP users in risk.  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Security flaw in IE puts Windows XP users in risk.
« on: April 28, 2014, 01:52:44 am »
http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/27/5659006/internet-explore-zero-day-security-flaw-affects-all-versions

Well, this is what the XP users were warned about so it is not that suprising. Basically, a new flaw Internet Explorer has been discovered but since Microsoft no longer makes updates for Windows XP those users will not be getting a fix for it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Security flaw in IE puts Windows XP users in risk.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 07:51:35 am »
Not a problem for me, I don't use XP anymore.

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 11:43:22 am »
I've been unable to give up Firefox, especially when I found out about NoScript.  I know every other browser has a JavaScript blocker, but I'm mostly happy with it.  I'll probably be happier once I get a newer compy, however.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 03:15:51 pm »
I know that few people use XP now that every single expert is telling people not to. And that IE is not that popular (though still very important as some companies in particular prefer it.)

But there are people with old computers who haven't changed to new ones. Either because they are ignorant or can't afford a new computer (and don't know how to use Linux or other alternate systems) or simply don't care about the danger.

Also there are companies and organisations that still use XP and haven't updated their computers. (There are factories that use 486's or 386's since their automation programs were designed for those and fuck you if you suggest changing a good and functional system. ...Even if the spare parts are REALLY rare and ridiculously expensive.)

It's not that big of a threat if the computer isn't online and is only used to run the factory automation or something but still.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 04:26:15 pm »
I guess I'm one of those.  I've never handled my finances online and I have since moved my passwords to a post-it since no one in the house is interested in using my online accounts and still has to guess my password to log in to my machine.  There's also this matter of having to do some impressive gymnastics to get most modern PC games to run with WINE (no, ANYTHING involving DirectX) not to mention that Firefox and Chrome chug just as hard on Ubuntu as it does on XP.  That won't matter in late August, when a 16GB i7 is likely to be on sale.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 10:43:37 am »
Extra incentive for all the hold-outs to finally update.