Author Topic: NFL player gives up $37 million contract... to be a farmer  (Read 3337 times)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
NFL player gives up $37 million contract... to be a farmer
« on: November 20, 2014, 06:12:52 pm »
Article here:  http://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-nfl-player-farms-for-good/

Frankly, knowing just how tough it can be to garden, never mind outright farming, this guy gets buckets of my respect and admiration.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: NFL player gives up $37 million contract... to be a farmer
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 07:28:35 pm »
He might end up doing some good for people, and I'd definitely call that a win.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 07:34:45 pm »
I...cannot understand it.

I honestly cannot comprehend why someone would give up so much to do so utterly little. Its really annoying. I'd love to have that golden opportunity he had, to make that much money and have basically celebrity status.

And yet he throws it all away, for what? A bunch of annoying animals?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 07:42:05 pm »
You see a lot of old farmers that are doing alright. Not so much old footballers, unless they go into coaching or sports journalism.

There's the whole "quality of life" thing too that isn't just measured in dollars!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 07:49:09 pm »
I...cannot understand it.

I honestly cannot comprehend why someone would give up so much to do so utterly little. Its really annoying. I'd love to have that golden opportunity he had, to make that much money and have basically celebrity status.

And yet he throws it all away, for what? A bunch of annoying animals?

Is it that difficult to recognize that someone else's wishes could be different from your own? Not everyone wants celebrity status, and I'm sure he's perfectly stable financially. I think it'd be amazing to be able to give that much to foodbanks. Beyond that, some people simply enjoy that type of work.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 08:06:53 pm »
Yes, I suppose I'm unable to see why someone would give up everything to live a meager existence. Part of it is jealousy, and the other part is my own disgust for simple work.

It seems there's a lot of this person's motivation I still need to try to understand.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 08:11:58 pm »
Well, good for him.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 08:17:36 pm »
Yes, I suppose I'm unable to see why someone would give up everything to live a meager existence. Part of it is jealousy, and the other part is my own disgust for simple work.

It seems there's a lot of this person's motivation I still need to try to understand.

Why does simple work disgust you?
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 08:42:18 pm »
Because then you'll never be notable. You won't be remembered for anything, for good or ill. You won't be able to live a grand, comfortable life able to enjoy travel and pleasures.

My greatest nightmare is dying without being widely known.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 08:43:21 pm »
Because then you'll never be notable. You won't be remembered for anything, for good or ill. You won't be able to live a grand, comfortable life able to enjoy travel and pleasures.

If you want to be famous, that's fine.  But fame has its drawbacks.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 09:00:14 pm »

If it's any consolation, many people achieve notoriety for their manner of death. For good or for ill.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 11:19:17 pm »

Think about your sister, the anime fanfuck you've ranted about many a time. Now consider that being famous, you'll have not one but an entire horde of those sorts of people trying their hardest to get your attention, not to mention entertainment media and paparazzi and the like who're only too happy to help them out with their endevour. Considering how much one of those people gets under your skin, I would wager, at minimum, you'd lose your rose tinted view of fame very very quickly should it ever happen for you.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 11:29:59 pm »

Think about your sister, the anime fanfuck you've ranted about many a time. Now consider that being famous, you'll have not one but an entire horde of those sorts of people trying their hardest to get your attention, not to mention entertainment media and paparazzi and the like who're only too happy to help them out with their endevour. Considering how much one of those people gets under your skin, I would wager, at minimum, you'd lose your rose tinted view of fame very very quickly should it ever happen for you.

Indeed.  Fame is overrated.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 11:53:07 pm »
I keep on thinking about all those actors and rock stars who died young, of course not all check out like that but the ones that did haven't given me the impression that fame and adoration is all that's needed for happiness.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 12:03:50 am »
Niam, it may be true he's giving up fame- however, he's also giving up ruined limbs, the chances he will get something ruptured or herniated, and the fairly high likelihood of early dementia due to repeated brain trauma. Most NFL players don't even last a full decade and then spend the rest of their life with chronic medical problems. If fame is so desirable, there are less personally catastrophic means to get it.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.