Author Topic: US opens diplomatic channels in Cuba for first time in over 50 years  (Read 3845 times)

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/world/americas/us-cuba-relations.html?_r=0

Surprised this hasn't been done already. Nice to see a bit of old Cold War insanity start to melt away.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: US opens diplomatic channels in Cuba for first time in over 50 years
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 11:12:45 pm »
Yeah, I saw that earlier. I hope this will mean good things for Cuba.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 11:23:58 pm »
Yeah, I saw that earlier. I hope this will mean good things for Cuba.

I hope so too.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 02:11:57 am »
Russian trolls are going into panic mode over this and watching that has been amusing. (Turns out that this is a direct attack against Russia. Either because Murica is trying NOT to look like the cartoon villain it is or because this means that Murica is afraid that Russia will again bring nukes to Cuba...)

Other than that, this is good, the embargo has been silly for decades.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 03:31:25 am »
Well I wouldn't get your hopes up with the fuck you congress already making noise.

Cynically, I'd call this Obama's 2016 Florida gambit.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 03:39:23 am »
I'd disagree with that. Most Cuban-Americans hate the Cuban government, so this won't win Obama and the Democratic Party any favors among them. If I remember correctly, they're the only minority in America that consistently supports the Republicans.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 04:57:01 am »
I assume it is because of their rabid detest for communism / anything that vaguely smells of it.

And in the process make themselves tools of a group who would love to make their own ideology reign supreme.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:56:31 am »
Mark Rubio is already screaming he won't let any progress be made on this front.

Ironbite-because apparently if you don't go in with bombs and tanks you're not actually spreading peace.

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 06:15:23 pm »
The reaction of Cuban-Americans may not be as cut-and dried as some think, at least according to sources like Reuters

Some Cuban exiles responded with outrage. Others with ecstasy.

<snip>
The reaction in Florida, which is home to about 80 percent of the nation's Cuban-American population, reflects a generational shift in an exile community whose powerful political influence in the United States and steadfast support for the Republican Party helped keep U.S. sanctions on Cuba in place for decades.

But with President Barack Obama's vow to push for "an honest and serious debate" about lifting the United States' long-standing economic embargo against Cuba, many Cuban exiles welcomed the turn, seeing a chance for more engagement with the homeland they left behind.

<snip>
But the diehard anti-Castro generation is aging. And with many younger exiles having arrived since 1980 with no direct memories of life under Castro and many more Cuban-Americans born in the United States, there is a younger generation of Cuban-Americans that is more pragmatic and more influenced by the needs of relatives who remain in Cuba.

This is from Markos Moulitsas, owner of the progressive Daily Kos, so perhaps take it with a grain of salt should you be inclined:

With news that the president has brokered detente with Cuba, expect the crazy right-wing Cuban-American community to lose its head. Marco Rubio has predictably lost his, but Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez's hissy fit this morning has proven that idiocy can certainly be a bipartisan affair.

But here's the thing—the Cuban-American community is not monolithically in favor of keeping the failed embargo strategy alive. Quite the opposite, in fact. The only people left supporting failure are the crusty old fucks who can't get past having lost the war half a century ago.

Every year, Florida International Univerisity polls the Cuban-American community in South Florida. And the results are quite clear:

A slight majority of the Cuban-American community in Miami-Dade County opposes continuing the U.S. embargo of Cuba. Countywide, 52% of the respondents oppose continuing the embargo. This percentage rises among Cuban Americans ages 18-29, 62% of whom oppose continuing the embargo. Similarly, 58% of those arriving since 1995 oppose continuing the embargo.

In other words, like most Republican policies nowadays, the main supporters are aging away, while the younger generations favor a more pragmatic, less dogmatic, approach.

We'll see how this plays out, I guess.
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 07:29:57 pm »
The poll quoted sure seems accurate to me. It really is a generational thing. People still escape Cuba and get refugee status here continuously. And the younger Cuban Americans are actually very concerned about the living conditions which family members back in Cuba deal with, although that in itself does not automatically mean they are against the embargo. I was disappointed in Rubio, because even for a Republican shill, that freakout was showing a very cold shoulder against relatives that he knows are still alive back in Cuba, which is a shithole you would not condemn an enemy to live in.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 09:25:11 pm »
Mark Rubio is already screaming he won't let any progress be made on this front.

Ironbite-because apparently if you don't go in with bombs and tanks you're not actually spreading peace.

And now Rand Paul is openly mocking Mr. Rubio.

http://time.com/3642300/cuba-marco-rubio-rand-paul/

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 11:57:00 am »

;D
Do you ever get the feeling that playing a game of chess with Mr. Obama would be a very humbling experience?

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 03:02:30 pm »

;D
Do you ever get the feeling that playing a game of chess with Mr. Obama would be a very humbling experience?

His actions so far have been give-the-other-side-everything-it-wants. Somehow that doesn't strike me as a strategy worthy of a chess metaphor so much as Obama being as corrupted as the GOP.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 06:42:32 pm »

;D

His actions so far have been give-the-other-side-everything-it-wants. Somehow that doesn't strike me as a strategy worthy of a chess metaphor so much as Obama being as corrupted as the GOP.

Or more likely being corrupted by the party sponsors. Although "corrupted" implies that he was at some point not beholden to them during his presidency.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 05:28:25 am »
Good. Long past time, too.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR