Author Topic: 2016 Republican Presidential Primaries  (Read 63323 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
2016 Republican Presidential Primaries
« on: January 27, 2016, 06:09:28 pm »
I think we needed this.

First story: Donald Trump withdraws from a Fox News debate:

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/trump-abruptly-withdraws-fox-debate-iowa-011258535--finance.html

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: 2016 Republican Presidential Primaries
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 06:15:01 pm »
Heh, it's all about his hate-on for Megyn Kelly. Figures.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 06:16:08 pm »
Heh, it's all about his hate-on for Megyn Kelly. Figures.

Never thought I'd be so certain when it came to siding with Kelly...

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 06:31:35 pm »
I think we needed this.

Do we?

I mean, sure, you can make any thread you want, but hardly any of us are Republicans. We're not as interested in the internal workings of a party thoroughly infused with classism, sexism, and racism, as we are about its outward manifestations of hate towards vulnerable groups in society.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 06:43:37 pm »
I think we needed this.

Do we?

I mean, sure, you can make any thread you want, but hardly any of us are Republicans. We're not as interested in the internal workings of a party thoroughly infused with classism, sexism, and racism, as we are about its outward manifestations of hate towards vulnerable groups in society.

In fairness, the Republican contest could actually be interesting this year, since it could well be undecided by the time the convention rolls around.

(Although I hope Michael Bloomberg throws his hat into the ring. Whatever else you might have to say about him, at least he wouldn't have to take any money from anyone to finance his campaign.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 06:48:24 pm »
(Although I hope Michael Bloomberg throws his hat into the ring. Whatever else you might have to say about him, at least he wouldn't have to take any money from anyone to finance his campaign.)

You could say the same thing about Trump, really.

It doesn't avoid the problem of why we don't want a plutocracy financing political campaigns. They aren't taking orders from big money; they are big money.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 08:18:10 pm »

It doesn't avoid the problem of why we don't want a plutocracy financing political campaigns. They aren't taking orders from big money; they are big money.

Except that Bloomberg a) is way richer than Trump, b) didn't inherit his wealth, c) has never filed for bankruptcy, and d) is closer to the centre than Trump. And I'm not necessarily thinking about his going for the Republican nomination--he might just decide to run as an independent. A sane Ross Perot might have a decent shot (or at least do to the Republican candidate what Perot did and lock up the election for the Democratic candidate).
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 08:20:06 pm »

Except that Bloomberg a) is way richer than Trump, b) didn't inherit his wealth, c) has never filed for bankruptcy, and d) is closer to the centre than Trump. And I'm not necessarily thinking about his going for the Republican nomination--he might just decide to run as an independent. A sane Ross Perot might have a decent shot (or at least do to the Republican candidate what Perot did and lock up the election for the Democratic candidate).

You forgot one thing: e) has actual political experience.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 08:23:06 pm »

You forgot one thing: e) has actual political experience.

That too.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 08:39:11 pm »
I think we needed this.

Do we?

The republican primary results are likely to influence the general election results, which I assume we all care about?

Plus I have a lot of virtual money riding on Cruz or Rubio winning and Trump losing
Σא

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 08:49:50 pm »
I know Republican voters like Trump, but I've read that the Republican party hates him worse than the word "government".

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 09:10:00 pm »

Technically, Trump never filed for bankruptcy. One of his sub-corporations did. As much as I hate the guy, there is a difference (bankrupting a sub-corporation can be tactically smart as the law allows the share holders and owners of the sub-corporation limited liability).

And yeah, Bloomberg... The same guy responsible for ordering New York's police force to brutalize occupy protesters.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 09:24:45 pm »

Technically, Trump never filed for bankruptcy. One of his sub-corporations did. As much as I hate the guy, there is a difference (bankrupting a sub-corporation can be tactically smart as the law allows the share holders and owners of the sub-corporation limited liability).

And yeah, Bloomberg... The same guy responsible for ordering New York's police force to brutalize occupy protesters.

Which... means he's probably no worse than the rest of the Republican field?

I think we needed this.

Do we?

The republican primary results are likely to influence the general election results, which I assume we all care about?

Plus I have a lot of virtual money riding on Cruz or Rubio winning and Trump losing

I personally want Bush to win the nomination, if only so that the election can be Clinton vs Bush and I can laugh at Americans who mock other countries for having hereditary monarchies and aristocracies. (Yes, I know Hillary isn't Bill's descendant.)

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 09:58:28 pm »
I think we needed this.

Do we?

Rubio and Cruz are both almost as pestilent as Trump. Chris Christie is probably the only one who isn't shit. Jeb Bush at least isn't probably got a Lawful Neutral alignment which is better than the rest.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 10:43:53 pm »
I think we needed this.

Do we?

Rubio and Cruz are both almost as pestilent as Trump. Chris Christie is probably the only one who isn't shit. Jeb Bush at least isn't probably got a Lawful Neutral alignment which is better than the rest.

Wasn't Christie caught screwing over cities whose mayors disagreed with him?