Author Topic: Austria moving to seize Hitler's birth home  (Read 4604 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Austria moving to seize Hitler's birth home
« on: July 12, 2016, 03:32:19 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hitler-house-austria-1.3674978

Austria's government moved on Tuesday to seize the house where Adolf Hitler was born to prevent it becoming a site of pilgrimage for neo-Nazis, and the country's interior minister said he wanted to tear it down.

Hitler's family lived in the house in Braunau on the Inn for only three years around his birth on April 20, 1889; but the fate of the three-storey building coated in pale yellow paint has long been the subject of controversy.

A spokesman for the interior ministry said the government had agreed on a law to take ownership after the building's landlord, a local woman, had refused to sell it to the state. The bill would now go before parliament.

"The decision is necessary because the republic would like to prevent this house from becoming a 'cult site' for neo-Nazis in any way, which it has been repeatedly in the past, when people gathered there to shout slogans," Interior Minister Wolfgang Sobotka told reporters before the cabinet meeting.

"It is my vision to tear down the house," he added. A commission consisting of 12 members from the fields of politics, administration, academia and civic society will ultimately decide the fate of the building.

I'm torn on this one, honestly. On the one hand, I can see how the government of Austria wouldn't want the house to continue to be a pilgrimage site for neo-Nazis, but on the other hand, for one, Hitler was a major figure in the 20th century and destroying his birthplace would do a grave disservice to future historians wanting to study the period, and for two, I don't think the public good doing this would generate is up to the level of what a railroad or highway generates.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Austria moving to seize Hitler's birth home
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 03:53:15 pm »
......ug.  I am so torn on this you have no idea.

Ironbite-not sure which side I stand on.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 04:44:07 pm »
Why not keep it up, but turn it into a gay bathhouse or something?

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 06:42:37 pm »
The real question is why now?

Answer that question and you will understand why we need to keep that house, turn it into a museum, and plant a big sign outside that says: "on April 20, 1889 an evil man was born here. Fifty years later we willingly followed him to war and millions were slaughtered as a result."

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 01:22:43 am »
Its still going to be a pilgrimage site no matter what the government does.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 01:33:33 am »
Its still going to be a pilgrimage site no matter what the government does.

Of course, which is why they should preserve it for study by future historians than raze it.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 01:54:11 am »
Hitler's bunker was destroyed and the exact location was kept a secret to prevent it becoming such a pilgrimage site. Elsewhere the grave of Rudolph Hess was destroyed because it had become a cult site to neo-Nazis.

...But after doing a little digging it turns out that Germany had plans to rebuild the bunker for the sake of educating people (and because so many damn tourists asked about it and there are ridiculous rumours about it so they hope that an accurate reconstruction and truth will at the very least get rid of Nazi-wankery and claims of 12 level megabunker.)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/hitlers-fuhrerbunker-to-be-reconstructed-in-germany-9966037.html
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 02:31:58 am »
...Hess? Seriously. That's whose grave they go to? That ridiculous old coot?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 02:34:52 am »
The process of elimination means that his grave site was the closest thing to Hitler that they could find. Now he is considered a martyr to the cause.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 06:05:49 am »
If you tear it down, it will just be a black space,neo nazis can make ahything a site. All you have to do expand the horizons, and the town can be a pilgrimage site in itself
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 06:13:04 am »

Better yet, a synagogue.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 06:39:44 am »

Better yet, a synagogue.

Or invite the Romani in to use it as a sanctuary.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 07:11:18 am »

Better yet, a synagogue.

Or invite the Romani in to use it as a sanctuary.

Or the ultimate insult to Hitler and his stupid fanboys turn it into a Holocaust museum that way all three groups can be represented.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 07:26:39 am »
Yeah thats an invitation for a bombing if ive ever heard one

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 07:46:02 am »
So are all the others, at least this one is the largest middle finger to Neo-Nazi's