Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 117961 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: What Are You Reading?
« Reply #450 on: January 29, 2017, 12:54:55 pm »
Just finished the original Mistborn trilogy. I have to say, I'm extremely impressed. I really enjoyed the way the lore slowly unfolds over the course of the series, and every last seemingly insignificant detail comes together at the very end to tie up the story.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #451 on: February 01, 2017, 07:49:26 am »
Just finished The Dollmaker by Justin Robinson, about a guy who makes life-sized dolls and uses his own blood to bring them to life.  I was expecting creepy and got that.  However I wasn't expecting an erotic horror story (The dolls like to be intimate, all the time, with the maker and each other), though I'm far from complaining.  The last 100 or so pages go full horror, revealing how scary the dolls can be.

Overall I enjoyed it.

Just started Zastrozzi, and I already think I found my role model!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #452 on: April 19, 2017, 09:37:19 am »
I just finished Red Sister, the latest novel from Mark Lawrence.  It's pretty different from his earlier books, but it's quite good on its own merits.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:55:54 am by chad sexington »

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #453 on: May 14, 2017, 04:43:36 am »
he City of Dreaming Books, by Walter Moers. A lighthearted fantasy about an intelligent dinosaur searching the city of Bookholm for a mysterious author. The city itself is filled with writers, professional readers, reviewers, critics (who get paid by writers to slam the competition), book merchants, performers and more. Booksellers sell everything from popular recent titles to rare novels, while book hunters don armor, grab their weapons, and explore the catacombs beneath the city, risking life and limb for those super-rare tomes.

Lots of fun so far and I can see this becoming part of my permanent collection.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #454 on: May 14, 2017, 04:55:17 am »
Just finished Unseen Academicals. Hadn't touched it so far because I'm not into football but it was better than expected.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #455 on: May 14, 2017, 05:20:29 am »
Just finished with Carpe Jugulum. Love me some Discworld
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Art Vandelay

« Reply #456 on: May 14, 2017, 05:32:58 am »
Almost finished the The Dictator's Handbook. Suddenly, politics makes sense.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #457 on: May 19, 2017, 05:48:45 pm »
Just finished Chapterhouse: Dune.

It's longer on moralising and shorter on plot than I remember the first time round, it's been a couple of decades since I last read the whole series.

Now reading: The Player of Games by Iain M Banks.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #458 on: June 30, 2017, 09:20:18 pm »
I have finished reading the saga of Boatmurdered.  HOLY FUCK.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #459 on: July 01, 2017, 12:15:27 pm »
I'm currently working my way through Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. For something with such a generic title, it's pretty fucking great.