Author Topic: Conversations with Sharon at home  (Read 12698 times)

Offline Bob J.

• Bishop
Conversations with Sharon at home
« on: July 04, 2017, 03:15:45 pm »
Welcome Sharon,

You recently asked me a question. If I answered that question on that website we both risk being deleted for being off topic. And possibly outright banned.

If you get an account and sign-in here, I can try to answer that question.

Please return to the message containing the link that got you here and give me a “thumbs up”. That will allow me to delete that link. We will not have complete privacy, however, many fewer people will follow.
You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ―Obi-Wan Kenobi

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Conversations with Sharon at home
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 05:07:27 pm »
What in the flying fuck?

Offline BobRumba

• God
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 05:50:16 pm »
What in the flying fuck?

He's trying to continue a conversation with someone on Christian News Network, which he can't do there because of the way the bastards ban people.  So he's bringing it here.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:36:10 am by Jocasta McFucken »
Banana Monster ne répond plus!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 06:35:08 pm »
Ahh I see.

Ironbite-what in the flying fuck?

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 05:58:40 am »
I nearly deleted this thinking it was spam...
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline BobRumba

• God
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 10:36:57 am »

FSTST is "home" for many of us who battle fundies on their turf.  It's our safe space.

Offline Bob J.

• Bishop
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 11:42:49 am »
Before I answer your question, I would like to make some remarks about banning and removing posts on Christian News Network.

Messages are removed and people banned at the other site for various reasons. In my view the number one reason is criticizing the mods.. Even that final paragraph of yours to FoJC may be enough to remove the post. Grace just had several messages remove for complaining about the mods.

Second the site is very anti-Catholic. Any comments that support the Catholic Church gets you extra attention. I think Colin was banned for his pro-Catholic views.

Third, the other website is very much aligned with Amos and the anti-gay folks. My personal fear is that devote evangelical Christians, such as yourself, may well be seen as heretics by the mods.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ―Obi-Wan Kenobi

Offline Bob J.

• Bishop
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 11:43:35 am »
you asked:
“My husband gave me a link today: Archaeologists Just Discovered Rare Artifact That Will Leave Jesus Doubters Feeling Dumb
The article is on the AWM site, but I don't know how reputable the site is,
Do you know if AWM is a reasonable source?”

The website appears to work very much like many websites, that is, they find an article on a different sites and repost the article. AWM appears to be a political conservative, Christian-oriented news source. This is neither good nor bad.

The word “dumb” in the title was a red flag for me. Degrading any group in the title of your article tells me the article is not trying to be objective, but rather is playing to a core audience.

Next I did a google search of the title. This article has been posted at seven different web news sites over the last two months.

Reading the article provides no evidence for the new discovery or why it should make Jesus doubters feel dumb, but instead directs the reader to buy Robert Hutchinson’s book.

Amazon tells me that his book has been out for just about a year. The book has only gotten 47 reviews mostly positive. Yet the “Jesus Doubters” are still around, so the proof is not that compelling. Since the book has been out for a year, it had to have been written before that time. Any great discoveries would be in “Biblical Archeology” and other periodicals for some time.

All this information leads me to conclude that the author has compiled some recent archeological discoveries into a book that will appeal to Christians as a way to justify their faith.

Edited for typos
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 02:08:23 am by Bob J. »

Offline BobRumba

• God
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 12:56:56 pm »
Has Sharon made it over here, Bob?

Offline Bob J.

• Bishop
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 12:57:58 pm »
Sharon,said
"I am not getting my initial email. I can't find a place to ask about it either. Any ideas?"

I had the same problem. After requesting a new email a couple of time. This site just started letting me login. I'll check with others to see if they have more info.

Offline Bob J.

• Bishop
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 12:59:49 pm »
Has Sharon made it over here, Bob?

No. She is trying to get an account but has not gotten the email response. I had the same problem when I opened my account.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:21:48 pm by Bob J. »

Offline Bob J.

• Bishop
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 01:34:05 pm »
Sharon said,
"I am not getting my initial email. I can't find a place to ask about it either. Any ideas?"

You might try sending an email to admin@fstdt.org

Update: If you are seeing these messages, give me a thumbs up anywhere.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:14:50 pm by Bob J. »

Offline Sharon_at_home

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 10:51:40 pm »
Hi Bob, I finally made it! Woohoo! Praise the Lord!
Thank you for looking into that site. You are right, and I should have realized that it would not have called anyone 'dumb' and it was old archeological information.
Amin: Shy, Thank you for all the help you have devoted so much time to this too. God bless!

I'm looking forward to looking around this board. Sounds much better than the other one.
I decided that I needed to rest for a while in my battle with Amos. I've learned a lot about Fundies since I started and it is not a surprise this site exists!

Bob I appreciate your help to understand what was going on on the other site. I guess I'm naive about this kind of thing, because I have always put Christians and "good people" together in my mind, and I have learned that it is not the case in this day and age. Fortunately I can find more of the good people, than of the bad. Praise God!

Blessings@
The Word of God is Truth; if it is not in the Word of God, it is not Truth.
The Gospel is the instructions to be a better Christian and to become more like Christ. This will show our good works, and show a light that will give Glory to God.

Walk daily with the Lord and learn his ways.

We walk by faith, and not by sight.

Offline Ambulance Chaser

• Bishop
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 12:17:23 am »
Welcome Sharon! Yes, you'll be able to breathe a little better here. No one will delete your comments because they fail to toe the party line, or because they would offend Victorian clergy's sense of propriety!

Offline Bob J.

• Bishop
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 01:26:26 am »
I finally made it! Woohoo! Praise the Lord!

A big HELLO and welcome -
Don’t give up your fight over there. This place, like everywhere else, has some strange folks, but it most certainly has better admins and more open conversations.