Author Topic: US declines to say it's not OK to kill gays  (Read 1390 times)

Online dpareja

• The Beast
US declines to say it's not OK to kill gays
« on: October 07, 2017, 06:27:08 pm »
https://theintercept.com/2017/10/03/the-u-s-voted-against-a-u-n-resolution-condemning-death-penalty-for-lgbtq-people/

http://ilga.org/downloads/HRC36_death_penalty_voting_resolution.pdf

On the UN Human Rights Council, the US joined Botswana, Burundi, Egypt, Ethiopia, Bangladesh, China, India, Iraq, Japan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates in voting against a resolution that stated that the death penalty should not be applied to people who consensually perform sexual activities with others of the same sex.

But then, this isn't surprising, since the US regularly votes against resolutions condemning the death penalty.

https://www.amnestyusa.org/files/act500012014en.pdf

In fact, in 2013, the US was only one of nine countries to have executed someone in each of the last five years, alongside Bangladesh, China, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, and Yemen.

EDIT: https://documents-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/LTD/G17/276/68/PDF/G1727668.pdf?OpenElement

The resolution in question.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:40:14 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: US declines to say it's not OK to kill gays
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 06:56:41 pm »
BUT HER FUCKING EMAILS AMIRIGHT!?

Online dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 07:09:45 pm »
BUT HER FUCKING EMAILS AMIRIGHT!?

The US regularly votes against condemning the death penalty. Last December (you know, when Obama was still President) the US voted against a resolution condemning the death penalty being applied to people with mental or intellectual disabilities, minors (at the time of commission of the crime), and pregnant women. (Which was also included in this resolution.)

I don't see any reason that would have changed under Clinton. It's a systemic issue with US policy, not either party.

The resolution also condemned the use of the death penalty as punishment for adultery, apostasy, and blasphemy.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Sharon_at_home

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 10:48:40 pm »
Any thought that includes the killing of anyone is disgusting but why kill gays? isn't there a new thing for them to hate yet?

I guess it's true about Governments. The people who want to be President have something to prove in the ahem, well, you know! like drivers of porches or trucks with huge wheels on them. I can't remember lol how to put it nicely.

Ok how about they have to prove the size of their package? :D how about that.

Sorry I just do think it's disgusting to agree to kill someone who had done no real harm to anyone at all, unless someone somewhere couldn't suck it up and fainted when she heard what their sin was. SMH It's no one business in the first place unless the person themselves choose to inform someone they want to tell. Love between two is just that, between two.

I find it hard to agree to people who are proven to be the murder. Even God said they should be put to death for murder.

I know you aren't all necessarily religious but that was kind of a stab at those who agree that anyone but these should be killed for their crimes - with Christians thinking of them as sins - that have a death penalty in the bible, but it isn't true. Jesus took most commandments away and told us to use the commandment to love everyone as he loves us, instead of punishing others for their sins. Leave punishment to later, let them know (salvation), leave them alone. It's in the scriptures.
Most people just don't see it the way I do I guess. I read the scriptures and it sure does sound like what he was saying.
But the US government has Trump at the helm, and he's pushing Christianity so this fact that they won't say either way apparently, means that he isn't a Christian follower of Jesus. Otherwise he would /should love everyone and treat everyone the way he wants to be treated. If this is the way Trump wants to be treated, no, it can't be, so he needs to be shaken not stirred and rebooted with a thumb in the port to put a different person in charge of the country. or of Trump. one or the other.
Anything to change how this world is going without enough love in it.
Hope you don't mind me posting!
Hi Ironbite! I smile when I see your name on the boards. You gave me a very nice welcome to this board. It's nice to see you again. so to speak.
I believe I have seen your name on the boards and recognize it from them. Hi dpareja. I try to keep my faith strong but it's not hard when I believe it's more about love than hate of the sin. My friends call me a reasonable Christian. It's nice to share with you! Blessings!
The Word of God is Truth; if it is not in the Word of God, it is not Truth.
The Gospel is the instructions to be a better Christian and to become more like Christ. This will show our good works, and show a light that will give Glory to God.

Walk daily with the Lord and learn his ways.

We walk by faith, and not by sight.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 01:45:36 am »
I was explained to that USA had a reason for this vote that had nothing to do with executing people for being gay.

The same resolution would have banned executing children and mentally deficient people. And USA has states that would revolt if they were told that they have to stop doing that.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 01:56:49 am »
I was explained to that USA had a reason for this vote that had nothing to do with executing people for being gay.

The same resolution would have banned executing children and mentally deficient people. And USA has states that would revolt if they were told that they have to stop doing that.

I mean... that doesn't make it any better.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Online dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 02:15:50 am »
Yes, this resolution included some of the stuff from the resolution the US voted against under Obama.

Roper v. Simmons already banned the use of the death penalty for people under 18 at the time of commission of the crime.

States retain some discretion when it comes to people with mental disabilities, but it's pretty narrow, per Atkins v. Virginia and Hall v. Florida.

EDIT: In other words, the states have already been told to cut that shit out, by something a hell of a lot more binding than a UN Human Rights Council resolution.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:45:03 am by dpareja »