Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1533493 times)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #180 on: July 07, 2013, 08:17:04 pm »
This is the beauty of implying a relationship but never dealing it out.

Since its implying, the queerbaiting goes into the imagination, and since its the imagination, its subjective and since its subjective its automatically bullshit. So its okay to "erase" the queerness.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 08:20:30 pm by Hofstadter's Tortoise »
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

wrightway

« Reply #181 on: July 07, 2013, 08:37:46 pm »
But did the characters actually identify as gay? There's a difference between a show mocking how two straight people act like a gay couple and a show actually turning two legitimately gay characters straight.

Troy and Abed never self identified as gay. It was just very heavily implied. There are lists dedicated to all the "yeah, they're straight, uh huh" moments in the show because they're just so many of them.

Though, after thinking about it, I could see certain fans calling season four solely out for queer baiting. Some of the more obvious "guy love" moments happen after they've been given girlfriends. The second to last episode had a crazy quilt of destiny, it showed how their paths had crossed prior to the core seven characters becoming friends. Different characters start becoming mad because of the negative effect another group member had on their life. Shirley says someone ruined her marriage. Jeff claims it cost him his job. Troy's major complaint? Abed was out there somewhere and wasn't looking for him. Abed's girlfriend was also seen for exactly one episode and never mentioned again, as if she was just put there to drive home that the character is straight.

TL;DR I don't think it's erasing queer identity, but I see where some might think it.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2013, 09:09:03 pm »
I don't agree that it's erasing queer identity.

But it sure as hell pisses me off, considering that most gay-centric movies/series tend to focus on the "alternative lifestyle" part of gay culture (and these are supposed to be PRO gay) and, apparently for all forms of media, we can't just have a normal story that happens to have a gay male lead.  Nope, it has to entirely revolve around his different sexuality.

For once I'd like to play an RPG where the male lead happens to fancy other men and this is treated exactly the same as any other romance subplot, aside from cultural implications.

Then again I'd like an RPG with a gay male lead period.  Or at least bisexual with a male option that wasn't raised in a prostitution environment.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #183 on: July 07, 2013, 09:14:39 pm »
For once I'd like to play an RPG where the male lead happens to fancy other men and this is treated exactly the same as any other romance subplot, aside from cultural implications.

Then again I'd like an RPG with a gay male lead period.  Or at least bisexual with a male option that wasn't raised in a prostitution environment.

Ever play Bully? Not only does it include the option to make out with boys for health boosts (though fewer boys than girls, which is demographically appropriate), but these are high school age kids. And there's no references to the characters' sexuality beyond that, to the point where anyone who didn't look it up beforehand likely wouldn't know it was even an option without trying.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #184 on: July 07, 2013, 09:16:26 pm »
Well Bully's not exactly RPG enough for me.  Though it is a game I've been curious about so... eh.

I've never played it, though
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #185 on: July 07, 2013, 09:18:47 pm »
Well Bully's not exactly RPG enough for me.  Though it is a game I've been curious about so... eh.

I've never played it, though

I'd give it a try. It's old (even the HD re-release is still almost identical, but has some more bugs), but it's a very interesting game and a fun thing to play through. And it's got the usual Rockstar quality, including great voice acting.

And literally every single character is unique. It means the population of the school and town is smaller than normal, but there's no repetition of characters (though they may seem to teleport) and they don't generate generic NPCs to fill up space.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #186 on: July 07, 2013, 09:38:12 pm »

Try Exalted. It's a pen and paper rpg, but it's a really LGTB-friendly one. To the point that one of the signature character in the new edition is a FTM lone rider swordsman. ^^
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:40:23 pm by LeTipex »

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #187 on: July 07, 2013, 09:38:39 pm »
Bully can best be described as "GTA at a boarding school and the surrounding area"
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

wrightway

« Reply #188 on: July 07, 2013, 09:39:37 pm »

But it sure as hell pisses me off, considering that most gay-centric movies/series tend to focus on the "alternative lifestyle" part of gay culture (and these are supposed to be PRO gay) and, apparently for all forms of media, we can't just have a normal story that happens to have a gay male lead.  Nope, it has to entirely revolve around his different sexuality.

There's hope, with Harmon back at the writers' table, that they'll resolve it in a better way.

Modern Family is doing the best job of portraying a normalish gay couple. Though there's still much to be desired. They're almost completely focused on their daughter and don't get much couple time.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #189 on: July 07, 2013, 11:06:35 pm »

Genderbitch defends necrophilia.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #190 on: July 07, 2013, 11:34:52 pm »
While I agree that necrophilia isn't rape, desecration of the dead frequently goes hand-in-hand with other anti-social behaviors, including sex crimes against live people, violence, etc. Necrophiles who act on their fantasies generally aren't mentally stable people.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2013, 02:03:54 am »

How about Dragon Age? You can romance Zevran, Anders, or Fenris as a male. Mass Effect 3 went the next step and had a male character you can ONLY romance if you're male (Steve Cortez, the shuttle pilot).
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2013, 02:11:04 am »

How about Dragon Age? You can romance Zevran, Anders, or Fenris as a male. Mass Effect 3 went the next step and had a male character you can ONLY romance if you're male (Steve Cortez, the shuttle pilot).

I was actually talking about Dragon Age with the last sentence of my post there.  I'm not a fan of Zevran.

Dragon Age 2... Anders and Fenris are both good choices (I've even heard that Fenris was written specifically with a gay romance in mind) but I don't own Dragon Age 2.  I've played the demo, and I'm actually really sick of all the hate DA2 gets for being different from DA1 (even though, IMO, DA2's gameplay blows DA1's out of the water.  But then, people love DA1 because it reminds them of their precious Baldur's Gate series)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2013, 06:38:58 am »
Hrm. Mass Effect 3 also gives you Kaidan for a bisexual option. But man have I seen a lot of fetishizing homosexuals come from MShenko.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2013, 07:22:54 am »
Hrm. Mass Effect 3 also gives you Kaidan for a bisexual option. But man have I seen a lot of fetishizing homosexuals come from MShenko.

I wonder if I am the only person who is mildly pissed that Kaidan went from being a military veteran with a pessimistic understanding to how the world works into being a whiny overly emotional looser in the 3rd game.

I got the feeling that was for the new bi-sexual relationship options, but it was a serious turn off for me as a female player. It left me feeling like they were going for the effeminate gay stereotype and it bugged me.

Of course I could have misinterpreted it.