Author Topic: Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 111298 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #435 on: February 14, 2018, 06:07:48 pm »
Seen on Twitter re: the school shooting in Florida:

I no longer call them mass shootings. I call them second-amendmentings.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/dpjhodges/status/611943312401002496?lang=en

In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate. Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over.

--June 19, 2015
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:55:43 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #436 on: February 15, 2018, 07:25:43 pm »
Bullshit.

That's been true since Columbine, at the very least.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #437 on: February 15, 2018, 08:50:35 pm »
Bullshit.

That's been true since Columbine, at the very least.

Columbine: 1999
Federal assault weapons ban expiry: 2004
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #438 on: February 15, 2018, 09:39:33 pm »
Nonono, I meant when killing kids became bearable.  The victims became afterthoughts within, like, a week.

Also, that was '99?  Fuck, now I feel old.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #439 on: February 15, 2018, 11:32:55 pm »
Ok, so everyone remembers my position on gun control. And I REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want to get into much of a back and forth.

But I do want to bring up what may be a valid point. If you were to take a major US city, a city that a non American might have heard of, and look at the shootings data and compared that to mass shootings, I believe (I haven't checked) that the numbers would show handguns are much more dangerous. Let me explain/ qualify that. I believe a person in a place in the US has a much higher chance of getting shot by a handgun than any kind of rifle. I understand that's not the current conversation. But in a week when this fades, I know I'll turn on the news and see 3 more people shot with handguns just in my fair town.

Oh. And killing kids has been bearable since at the very latest the mid to late 80s. I can't answer for before that because I was young and not paying attention. But that's about the time when I noticed that dealers and bangers and whoever else was going around shooting people would shoot kids here and there. Sometimes it was kids shooting. Anyways, yeah, there would be outrage and calls for action. Then something else would happen and we'd forget the shot kids and pay attention to this now.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #440 on: February 15, 2018, 11:37:44 pm »
Nonono, I meant when killing kids became bearable.  The victims became afterthoughts within, like, a week.

Also, that was '99?  Fuck, now I feel old.

But with Sandy Hook, the kids didn't become afterthoughts... and still nothing was done.

Forgetting about the victims is one thing. Remembering them and still doing nothing is much worse.

EDIT: Also, David Jolly, a former Republican member of the House from Florida, admitted that Republicans will never do anything on gun control because they didn't do anything even after they themselves were shot at during a baseball practice. (And admitted that had it not been for the presence of Steve Scalise, a high-ranking member of the Republican House leadership, entailing the presence of the Capitol Police, all of them at the practice would likely have died.)

His advice? If you care about gun control, flip the House (the more achievable aim in 2018)--in other words, kick his party out of power.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:45:23 pm by dpareja »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #441 on: February 16, 2018, 12:19:42 am »
@dpareja: Fair enough.

Offline Dappler

• Apprentice
« Reply #442 on: February 16, 2018, 03:57:50 am »
But I do want to bring up what may be a valid point. If you were to take a major US city, a city that a non American might have heard of, and look at the shootings data and compared that to mass shootings, I believe (I haven't checked) that the numbers would show handguns are much more dangerous. Let me explain/ qualify that. I believe a person in a place in the US has a much higher chance of getting shot by a handgun than any kind of rifle. I understand that's not the current conversation. But in a week when this fades, I know I'll turn on the news and see 3 more people shot with handguns just in my fair town.
You're right in the fact that there can be legitimate uses for hunting rifles, but hand guns are basically designed for use on people. Sure you can use them only at ranges, and keep them in a safe, but even if you buy one for self defense, your intended target if it ever comes to that --- is a person!!! There's also there pervasity (not a word but makes more sense than pervasiveness) of them.

On the flip side. Apart from the heinousness of it all, the thing is mass shootings with assault weapons (of war) basically turn completely random, very innocent people into nothing but targets, which everyone watching can identify intensely with the victims. That could've been me. I didn't deserve that. They didn't deserve that. Handguns, apart from not being reported, often have a specific target (usually self or dearest and dearest), and sad as it is, and wrong as it is, there is a reason for pulling the trigger and it isn't random target practice. Not saying its right at all, just why, apart from the scale of it all, why mass shootings resonate with everyone (including unfortunately the next fuckwit homicidal maniac).

So not sure if it was clear or not, but agree with what you were saying.

Offline Dappler

• Apprentice
« Reply #443 on: February 16, 2018, 04:39:30 am »
(without even looking at concealed carry, stand your ground, castle doctrine, vigilantism, etc.)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #444 on: February 16, 2018, 03:02:21 pm »
I have to admit, I've gotten more sympathetic towards 2nd Amendment defenders after seeing the 1st come increasingly under fire. While I still wouldn't call myself "pro-gun", I'm definitely more willing to hear them out.

So, with that being said, I'd like to hear what else rookie might have to say.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #445 on: February 16, 2018, 07:58:40 pm »
I strongly disagree with the claim that Sandy Hook proves that America is okay with killing kids.  Remember:

94% of Americans want more gun control
93% of Republicans want more gun control
76% of NRA members want more gun control

In fact the debate really is over, America is not okay with killing kids for the 2nd amendment.  It's just that a small cadre of fanatics has total control of the republican party, and through them gerrymandering, vote suppression and the electoral collage the government.  The second democrats get control back sweeping gun control will likely a top priority and almost all Americans will welcome it.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #446 on: February 16, 2018, 08:07:22 pm »
I strongly disagree with the claim that Sandy Hook proves that America is okay with killing kids.  Remember:

94% of Americans want more gun control
93% of Republicans want more gun control
76% of NRA members want more gun control

In fact the debate really is over, America is not okay with killing kids for the 2nd amendment.  It's just that a small cadre of fanatics has total control of the republican party, and through them gerrymandering, vote suppression and the electoral collage the government.  The second democrats get control back sweeping gun control will likely a top priority and almost all Americans will welcome it.

All of those things can be overcome in a wave election, as might happen in 2018 and 2020. However it will mean getting 60 in the Senate, which is a tall order given how many Democratic incumbents are up in 2018 (ie how few seats the Democrats can actually gain). (I ran the numbers once--if Senators had votes in proportion to their states' populations, the Democrats would have been in control of the Senate continuously since the mid-1980s. Even at their nadir--the Congress elected in 2004--they would still have controlled 50.4 votes to the GOP's 49.6.)

The real problem is the Supreme Court, where the people most likely to leave soon are Ginsburg and Breyer, and not any of the nuts (or even Kennedy). And changing that takes both 67 in the Senate and a complete demolition of the paper-thin facade that the US judiciary is politically neutral.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #447 on: February 17, 2018, 03:25:23 am »
It was pointed out elsewhere that if the 2nd amendment is supposed to protect US citizens from tyranny of the government and if more than 90% of them want tougher gun control laws, then why won't the and amendment supporters use their guns to take down the government and enforce the will of the people?

...Oh that's right, they don't care about the will of the people as long as they get to keep their guns.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #448 on: February 27, 2018, 02:34:27 am »

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #449 on: February 27, 2018, 03:18:31 am »

I would say that Stalin did nothing wrong, but he actually did.

So instead I'll use a different commie. Trotsky did nothing wrong.