Author Topic: 40% of homeless youths are LGBT  (Read 5510 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
40% of homeless youths are LGBT
« on: July 14, 2012, 01:33:58 pm »
I knew that a large portion of the homeless community was LGBT. Now I have the numbers:

As many as 40 percent of homeless youth identify as LGBT, and a new Williams Institute study of youth shelters confirms this estimate. Between October 2011 and March 2012, 354 agencies completed surveys about their clients and found that about 40 percent of their homeless and non-homeless clients were LGBT (9 percent of whom identified as bisexual). About 30 percent of clients using housing-related services (like emergency shelter and transitional living programs) were LGBT.

And the main reason they are homeless is rejection by family:

And guess what's causing this!

It’s all too easy to see LGBT homeless youth as an invisible population, but there is a very visible onslaught of anti-gay and anti-trans propaganda specifically targeting parents to raise their fears of the LGBT community. Rather than protecting children, the anti-gay efforts led by conservative evangelical Christians may very well be causing the exact kinds of child abuse that they blame LGBT people for.

Yup it's "family values"! "Family value" apparently means throwing out your children, subjecting them to violence and poverty, and fucking their futures. You can have your "family values", I'd rather be a decent human being.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
Re: 40% of homeless youths are LGBT
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 01:55:39 pm »
Facts have a well-known liberal bias.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 01:56:55 pm »
I wish I could say I'm surprised, but... well, I'm not.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 05:43:18 pm »
A few years ago, I was asked why I was so hung up about the rights of "affluent gay people" by a fundie. The idea that poor LGBT people even existed seemed to have never crossed his mind for some reason.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:45:06 pm by Random Guy »

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 06:08:56 pm »
And guess what's causing this!

It’s all too easy to see LGBT homeless youth as an invisible population, but there is a very visible onslaught of anti-gay and anti-trans propaganda specifically targeting parents to raise their fears of the LGBT community. Rather than protecting children, the anti-gay efforts led by conservative evangelical Christians may very well be causing the exact kinds of child abuse that they blame LGBT people for.

Yup it's "family values"! "Family value" apparently means throwing out your children, subjecting them to violence and poverty, and fucking their futures. You can have your "family values", I'd rather be a decent human being.

You have to understand that when you hear conservative or libertarian commentators bitching about "social engineering" or "unintended consequences" of policies, they are talking about things promoted by the Left.  They honestly don't believe that any of that applies to the policies they promote, which are often just as bad if not worse.

PROTIP:  Every action of government, or any other large institution (such as a corporation or non-profit) will have unintended consequences.  OP's example just happens to be a very negative one.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 06:10:37 pm by Fpqxz »
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 07:13:55 pm »
Wow that's a disturbing statistic.  I often wonder about people who turn on family because they don't turn out as little copies of themselves.  Now I know what they do.

Ironbite-and it angers me.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 07:59:57 pm »
I would say that this is fundies not realizing the damage that they're doing to people, but then I realized that they probably just don't care.  Doesn't make it any less horrible though.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 08:15:18 pm »
I think that the punishment for kicking your child out of your home should be that they get their inheritance immediately - namely, they get everything.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 10:09:14 pm »
I'd like to see one of the anti gay marriage crowd try and explain how this shows that straight marriage is always better for the children!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 11:35:22 pm »
Hopefully this study will make a difference somehow, and people may do the decent thing and not treat their kid like shit because of who they are.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 11:39:50 pm »
Hopefully this study will make a difference somehow, and people may do the decent thing and not treat their kid like shit because of who they are.
And maybe my anus will dispense diamond-encrusted gold ingots.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 12:28:30 am »

Wishful thinking.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 12:55:14 am »
Yeah, it's is more or less wishful thinking, but that's not say a few might change their attitudes. Some times people do grow up.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 03:41:21 pm »
I'm no theist, but I just have to throw out a few Bible verses that seem relevant to loving your children unconditionally.

1 John 3:20--"There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love."

1 Corinthians 13:4-7-- "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

John 15:12-- "“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you."

Even if the parents do believe that homosexuality is a sin, don't these sentiments mean anything?
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 11:04:57 pm »
Even if the parents do believe that homosexuality is a sin, don't these sentiments mean anything?

Not as much as “Man shall not lie with man as with woman, it is an abomination,” with no regard for what the word translated as “abomination” actually meant, of course. ::)
-A Pen Name