Author Topic: 40% of homeless youths are LGBT  (Read 5528 times)

Saturn500

Re: 40% of homeless youths are LGBT
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 11:57:51 pm »
Even if the parents do believe that homosexuality is a sin, don't these sentiments mean anything?

Not as much as “Man shall not lie with man as with woman, it is an abomination,” with no regard for what the word translated as “abomination” actually meant, of course. ::)

Please tell me what it meant. I need ammunition against fundies.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 12:33:39 am »
Modern translations usually render that word as "detestable," and if I remember correctly, the Bible also refers to pigs as "detestable" using the same word. Of course, this hasn't stopped anyone from enjoying their bacon.

Regarding the "unconditional love" passages, the thing about idolizing the Bible is that you can find a verse to justify almost anything. In this case, a passage in one of Paul's letters to the Corinthians mentions that they should not associate themselves with someone who claims to be a Christian but is sexually immoral (among other sins) and finishes with the line "With such a man do not even eat." I suspect this verse is often cited by parents who disown their children for being LGBT.

EDIT: This page covers the various words translated as "abomination" and the places they occur in the Bible.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:57:08 am by Random Guy »

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 08:29:39 am »
True, but why are there so many people who have been thrown out for being gay and so few for masturbating?

Maybe it's that "love bears all things" except for ... *shudder*... gay!
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 04:21:41 pm »
Talk about unintended consequences.  My wife once got a perm that features very tight curls.  She asked how she looked.  I said she looked like a demented Shirley Temple.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 08:37:30 pm »
Viking,

My testicles hurt just thinking about what would happen if I said something like that to my wife...

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 09:56:58 pm »
Talk about unintended consequences.  My wife once got a perm that features very tight curls.  She asked how she looked.  I said she looked like a demented Shirley Temple.

Did you mean to post that on a different thread?

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 10:22:27 pm »
Viking,

My testicles hurt just thinking about what would happen if I said something like that to my wife...

I don't have a wife, nor do I plan on getting one due to lack of lesbianism on my part, but the mere thought of saying that to someone caused a wife to spontaneously materialize out of thin air to punch me in the stomach.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 10:30:37 pm »
Excellent.  My evil plan to indirectly punch somebody through the internet was successful.