Author Topic: A Cartoon About Obedience To Jehovah  (Read 10142 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: A Cartoon About Obedience To Jehovah
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 08:28:42 am »
I got about a minute in before I had the overwhelming urge to punch the monitor.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 08:48:53 am »
I'm gonna take a guess and say she only still calls herself a JW to avoid getting disowned by her family.
I don't know. She's certainly never said that, even when I've asked, but it wouldn't surprise me. Her father's all sorts of asshole (one thing she mentioned that had everyone going "What a fucking asshole" was that he calls her fat, and she had internalized this and was not eating over it, even though she's healthy weight and quite attractive). Thankfully, we pep-talked her out of avoiding food. I'd imagine it's something along the lines of her believing their general doctrine is true, but not giving much fucks about the specifics.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 09:34:43 am »
My dad was similar to the lady in this cartoon when I was little.  It was only when I connected the dots and asked him, "Since Jehovah is magic and he hates magic...why does he hate himself?" that something clicked in his brain and he became less insane regarding his beliefs in general.  He'll still yell at Catholics on the TV, but that's just because he's got a particular...dislike for the Church, due in no small part to his (Catholic) father being a complete, utter lecherous old fucknugget whom no one will miss once he goes six feet under.

Honestly, it depends a LOT on the family and congregation in general.  Mine had a similar distaste for witchcraft and such, but it was more geared toward active witchcraft, like making an altar and trying to cast a curse on someone you hate.  They didn't see much of an issue with weed or booze, from what I recall, only that they really hammered home moderation with that and everything else.  Not all of 'em are insane and/or stupid.  Just like the Catholics, Baptists, Methodists, and other Christian sects, they've got their share of nutballs.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 09:51:43 pm »
The video was stiff and creepy and the characters appeared too damn robotic which I guess would be fitting for a Jehovah's Witness video.

Fortunately I wasn't raised up in a fundamentalist household yet my mom can be very fundamentalist Christian at times that gets on my nerves. That said, she never told me that playing with certain toys or that certain toys were evil and encouraged me to use my imagination, wherever it took me basically.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Jedi Knight

• Neonate
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 01:23:05 pm »
Guilt and emotional blackmail. How classy, mum of the year!

Offline eldritchMortician

• Neonate
  • Waiting for the TARDIS
    • eldritchMortician's Slab
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 06:24:54 am »
Hullo... Raised Jehovah's Witness here...

Guilt and emotional blackmail are pretttttty much par for the course in my experience. You're bad for being human and having human wants and desires and imagination in many cases... and emotional blackmail keeps you tied in like it's the Hotel California, because if you say you disagree you get labeled an apostate and have your whole family and any friends turn their backs on you. Fun for the whole family.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 06:58:34 am »
Well, Caleb...

Now we know how Nathan Fillion's creepiest character got his start. Wonder if mom of the year has heard from him...
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 01:10:10 pm »

Guilt and emotional blackmail are pretttttty much par for the course in my experience. You're bad for being human and having human wants and desires and imagination in many cases... and emotional blackmail keeps you tied in like it's the Hotel California, because if you say you disagree you get labeled an apostate and have your whole family and any friends turn their backs on you. Fun for the whole family.
Damn. Sorry to hear how shitty that is. It won't make things better, but it might make you a little happy, so, have a kittenpile.

What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

• Neonate
  • Waiting for the TARDIS
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 02:18:53 am »

Damn. Sorry to hear how shitty that is. It won't make things better, but it might make you a little happy, so, have a kittenpile.

Thanks! :3 A kittenpile is always a good thing.

And, well, I'm much happier nowadays... still have the whole family thing hanging over my head but I'm a much happier person now that I've quit going to meetings/believing that stuff. It's amazing how much better you feel once you stop letting people and religions make you believe the whole world is an awful place filled with bad people. I've met the best people in the world IMO, particularly the proto-fiance... All pulled from the ranks of evil, evil heathens :3

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 07:47:59 am »
Odd to see how different various pieces of the same group can be so wildly different.  My congregation, in the time I was there, only excommunicated one person, and that was for adultery...which is almost universally considered a Very Bad Thing.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

• Neonate
  • Waiting for the TARDIS
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 04:55:55 pm »
Odd to see how different various pieces of the same group can be so wildly different.  My congregation, in the time I was there, only excommunicated one person, and that was for adultery...which is almost universally considered a Very Bad Thing.
Yeah... unfortunately I was baptized at 13, so once you're dunked... Saying "hey, this isn't working for me" is immediate disfellowshipping and in my case disowning time.

I still haven't told my parents and am going to have to sooner than later, considering the proto-fiance and I are working on upgrading to fiance and housemates...

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 08:39:20 am »
Well, the video has been removed due to "copyright claim" by the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania.  Apparently, considering the comments here, either someone posted the cartoon to reveal their brainwashing efforts or their video was having the opposite reaction than they had intended.  Either way, it's gone.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Leafy

• Radical Radish
  • Pope
  • "My bunny will eat your soul!"
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 11:48:45 am »
I've only ever met one JW, but she was one of the nicest, sweetest, person I've ever met. One of the people who makes sure everyone is included. Although she mentioned not being able to watch fantasy stuff.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2013, 06:52:58 pm »
I've only ever met one JW, but she was one of the nicest, sweetest, person I've ever met. One of the people who makes sure everyone is included. Although she mentioned not being able to watch fantasy stuff.
Ahh, reminds me of the one I know. However, she's a Doctor Who fangirl, a Merlin fangirl, a Sherlock fangirl, plays D&D, plays video games, watches anime and manga and more. Did I mention that she is really damn bad at being a JW?

Offline Leafy

• Radical Radish
  • Pope
  • "My bunny will eat your soul!"
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 07:09:32 pm »
Ahh, reminds me of the one I know. However, she's a Doctor Who fangirl, a Merlin fangirl, a Sherlock fangirl, plays D&D, plays video games, watches anime and manga and more. Did I mention that she is really damn bad at being a JW?
Yeah. The one I know has seen ever Star Trek thing ever, and even went to the midnight premiers on a school night. I thought she was joking when she mentioned being a JW.