Author Topic: Dave On Wheels exposed as a hoax  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
Dave On Wheels exposed as a hoax
« on: October 15, 2012, 11:50:40 pm »
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/dave-wheels-exposed-hoax-canadian-blogger-210544206.html

This was my first time hearing about this guy... Apparently he used a fake picture and claimed to be a sufferer of cerebral palsy. He had garnered a great deal of attention, but always refused donations offered to him. He claims that his 'inspirational' last post caused people considering suicide to thank him for causing them to change their minds.

Now, as far as hoaxes go, this one is pretty harmless. He wasn't looking for money or gifts and didn't even respond to people offering them. But on the other hand, what about people who truly DO suffer from such ailments, and who might ask for donations to help pay for treatments? Stories such as this one almost seems to undermine those who are suffering from cerebral palsy and similar ailments. While I certainly don't think he had an malicious intent in mind, this could cause problems for people who truly are suffering and blogging about it as the validity of their illnesses are questioned or (lets hope this isn't the case) mocked.

Has anyone heard about this guy? Any thoughts about this?

PS: I wasn't sure where I should put this, but if the mods feel it should be in another section, please feel free to move it. :)

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
Re: Dave On Wheels exposed as a hoax
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 01:54:38 am »
Asking for donations on the internet is always a bit suspicious, so this doesn't really change anything.  Considering that his inspirational last post has saved people from suicide, there's no question it was an overall good thing.