Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 387673 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #585 on: February 04, 2017, 03:31:54 pm »
Or at least an attempt at one anyways.

Ironbite-not sure the Orange Piss Pot'll be in power long enough.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #586 on: February 04, 2017, 04:00:20 pm »
According to an article I saw on a news website, Jared Lushner and Ivanka Trump stopped Trump from going after LGBT rights more than he has already.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/ivanka-trump-jared-kushner-lgbt-order-234617
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #587 on: February 04, 2017, 05:58:09 pm »
Well la de da for them!

Ironbite-don't care.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #588 on: February 04, 2017, 10:51:54 pm »
Effects of repealing the ACA:

1. Twenty to thirty million people will lose health insurance.

2. At least forty thousand more people will die each year.

3. Well over a million jobs will be lost as people have to save money against hospital bills and for prescription medications rather than spending that money in the economy.

4. A few hundred ridiculously rich families will get a massive tax cut.

I'm glad to see where the Republicans' priorities are.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #589 on: February 05, 2017, 12:07:28 am »
Assuming that the 2018 elections are legitimate, they're sacrificing their future for ...nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #590 on: February 05, 2017, 12:46:50 am »
Here's the thing.

The Democratic Party has been focused on presidential years, not midterm years, of late. (Observe that they made mild gains in Congress in 2012 and 2016, and took huge hits in 2010 and 2014.) So already the Republicans have this edge on them in 2018 unless they can seriously reverse course.

Thanks to that disastrous showing in 2010, the House is gerrymandered all to hell against the Democrats. I can't really see them making up 30 seats they'd need for a majority there.

Nearly half of their Senate caucus is up for re-election in 2018, who came in on the back of Obama's 2012 win and the one midterm election of late where the Dems did well, in 2006 (because Dean actually had a fifty-state strategy, unlike Wasserman Schultz who was just a good fundraiser and had to raise tons of money to pay off the campaign debt Obama dumped on the DNC). When the 2008 group, who also rode Obama's coattails, came up in 2014, the Dems got hammered. 10 of the Democratic Senators up for re-election are from states Trump won, and not only that, but in the meantime the Voting Rights Act has been emasculated and Republicans, who control many of those states, have enacted tough voter suppression laws. So I can't see them picking up another three Senate seats--in fact, I think it's more likely they'd retake the House than the Senate, and I think the Republicans will actually extend their Senate majority.

So the VRA won't get updated, the voter suppression laws won't get struck down, the House maps will largely remain in effect for 2020, and it'll take something really, really special for the Dems to make big gains there. They could well beat Trumpelthinskin, or the religious fundamentalist who would replace him if he were impeached, but they've dug themselves a deep, deep hole and it will take a big change in the party to get themselves out of it any time soon.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #591 on: February 05, 2017, 02:17:52 am »
Basically, when the Democrats aren't specifically helping the Republicans across the party lines they are merely incompetent and the main two reasons to vote for them are a) at least they aren't Republicans and b) the de-facto two-party system in USA means that voting a third party is just useless.

EDIT: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/documents-confirm-trump-still-benefiting-from-his-business/2017/02/04/848fdd5a-eae0-11e6-bf6f-301b6b443624_story.html?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.e72c827ddf63

Wasn't there some clause or law or something that Trump was supposed to follow? And does this mean that someone can do something about it?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 04:48:35 am by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #592 on: February 06, 2017, 02:24:37 am »
As far as I know, so long as the President isn't profiting off of foreign interests, they are allowed to own businesses. It is, however, my understanding that tradition has had every previous President cut ties with any business interests they have, partly to prevent a violation of the Title of Nobility Clause, partly so they can focus on the job and partly to prevent any conflict of interest that would directly impact their ability to perform the job of the President fairly to the people.

Now, seeing as Trump is so lazy that he reportedly didn't even read the order to put Bannon on the NSC, he obviously doesn't care about his ability to do his job. Because his motivations in anything he does are his ego and his wallet, he obviously doesn't care about any conflicts of interest if they benefit him, regardless of how they hurt everyone else. And because he has numerous business interests around the world, he is probably in violation of the Title of Nobility Clause and will most definitely be in violation of it when foreign diplomats inevitably show preference to his hotels to try to gain his favor.
Who needs a signature?

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #593 on: February 06, 2017, 05:49:57 pm »
Man the Trump tranision was such a rousing success but I think it might've been a bit rushed.  I mean besides not having time to give the Orange Piss Pot a crash course in basic civics, Obama forgot to show Trump where the light switch is and where the exit doors are.

Aides confer in the dark because they cannot figure out how to operate the light switches in the cabinet room. Visitors conclude their meetings and then wander around, testing doorknobs until finding one that leads to an exit. In a darkened, mostly empty West Wing, Mr. Trump’s provocative chief strategist, Stephen K. Bannon, finishes another 16-hour day planning new lines of attack.

Ironbite-uh......really guys?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #594 on: February 06, 2017, 06:48:54 pm »
Bannon: They will never see it coming. I'll be king, King of my own country, and that fat ignoramus will be as my court jester! MUAHA! MUAHA! HAHAHA!

Staffer: Steve? Are you okay in there?

Bannon: I mean huhuhu...I was just coughing from all the dust!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #595 on: February 07, 2017, 04:19:16 am »
Fun fact for today, Trump doesn't believe in global warming unless it threatens his golf properties.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #596 on: February 07, 2017, 03:18:23 pm »
Fucking Betsy Devos was confirmed for a position she is unqualified for.
Here are the senators up for re election in 2018 that voted for this woman.

Dean Heller (NV)
Jeff Flake (AZ)
Deb Fischer (NE)
Bob Corker (TN)
Ted Cruz (TX)
Roger Wicker (MS)
John Barrasso (WY)
Orrin Hatch (UT)

We have to get these assholes out of office.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #597 on: February 07, 2017, 03:33:04 pm »
I could maybe see Nevada going, but I can't see any of the other seats switching, and as I've noted previously, I think the Republican majority in the Senate will grow.

I think the Dems have a chance if they go populist left (which includes booting out some sitting Democratic Senators in primaries), rather than wishy-washy corporatist "Third Way" centrism (which actually is pretty right-wing compared to the public), but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #598 on: February 07, 2017, 03:36:17 pm »
It'll probably happen sooner rather then later but I want McCain gone now.

Ironbite-man has no spine despite being a "maverick".

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #599 on: February 07, 2017, 03:39:51 pm »
It'll probably happen sooner rather then later but I want McCain gone now.

Ironbite-man has no spine despite being a "maverick".

He was a "maverick" two decades ago. Then he saw all the money to go Bush in 2000, which was a major factor in his Presidential primary loss, and his voting record got a lot more conservative after that.