Author Topic: Careers thread  (Read 6018 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: Careers thread
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 08:52:35 pm »
Ask your current teachers and see what they have to say about it. I'm sure the results would be far different in places like Massachusetts versus Texas. States always vary in their political tolerance and background checks for teachers, though it's still one of the more scrutinized positions.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 12:04:14 pm »
I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for general career discussion for both people who want to talk about what they currently do, what they plan on doing, or even for people who are undecided and want to talk about their potential choices.  And pointing out downsides to certain careers people have decided on is welcome, but please be respectful when doing so.

So, I'll start off with saying I plan on becoming a History teacher at the high school level. It's a subject I have great interest in, and teaching does seem like a job I would very much enjoy. Contrary to popular belief, salaries are actually fairly decent in many areas (it's subject to your district). And things like competition are dependent on what area you're looking to teach in as well.

Also, as a side thing, I am very motivated to become an LGBT rights activist. I care deeply about progressing towards greater acceptance for queer individuals, and I've never felt comfortable with passive support. One thing I want to focus on is helping to bring the trans* rights movement to the mainstream, and anyone who is aware of the state of transgender equality in this country knows why that's important. I plan on writing books in the future, and I would like to either have my own blog, or write for a website.

My main gripe is that being an activist would jeopardize my teaching job. I don't plan on promoting any kind of viewpoint in the classroom, but I dunno, I have never heard of a high school teacher who also participates in social activism. I can't really tell if this fear is justified or I'm being too paranoid.

Might I suggest trying to get in as a college professor rather than high school?  At the college level, you will be less affected by the whims of any random parent that decides that they don't like you.

As for my career...

I create and administer policies and programs for an ad agency.  Everything from expenses to bill pay to charitable contributions to technology upgrades to mobility has my fingerprints all over it for the last decade or so here.  My current pet is the mobility program.  I have it set up to be a benefit to the employees, rather than the bludgeon that a lot of companies use it as.  For example, my users get the latest and greatest devices and those that wish to combine work and personal phones have considerable cost savings over carrying separate lines.  We also take the privacy of our users very seriously, and we don't really care what you are doing on the device as long as it won't blow back on the company (calling your pot dealer is fine, running a meth lab is not, for example).

Offline wrongfrog

• Apprentice
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 07:28:43 pm »
Might I suggest trying to get in as a college professor rather than high school?  At the college level, you will be less affected by the whims of any random parent that decides that they don't like you.
I mean, I've certainly considered that, but I'm not sure if I want to be assed to get a Ph.D. Unless I am totally wrong about the qualifications needed to teach colleges.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 07:38:53 pm »
I'm pretty sure you'd need a Ph.D., but it's also important to consider the differences between a college professor and a high school teacher (not dealing with parents, administration, and a lot more general freedom). Not that I want to change your mind or anything, I just want to ensure that you'll be doing what you want and have the information to make the best choice.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 12:03:21 pm »
I mean, I've certainly considered that, but I'm not sure if I want to be assed to get a Ph.D. Unless I am totally wrong about the qualifications needed to teach colleges.

Well, JuCo teachers only generally need an Associates, and I am fairly sure that 4 year instructors generally only need a 4 year (I should not have put professor)