Author Topic: It's just about July 4th, have an ode to the patriots  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
It's just about July 4th, have an ode to the patriots
« on: July 03, 2014, 10:54:27 pm »
Here's to the patriots of the USA.  The people working in the soup kitchens, serving food to the homeless and helpless, to make sure their countrymen can have food and shelter.

Here's to the firemen who will rush into the flames of a burning building to save families, including the pets.  To make sure their countrymen stay safe and feel secure.

Here's to the policemen who stand guard, protecting their countrymen's right to free speech, no matter how unpopular that opinion is.  The ones who put aside their own opinions to protect someone else's.  The ones who rush into danger to stop a violent man, knowing that it could be their last day on earth, to ensure that their countrymen keep on living.

Here's to the doctors who put themselves in immense debt so they can learn how to save lives.  The ones whose skilled hands cut out tumors and put in new organs and pacemakers, so that their countrymen can conquer illness and keep on living.

Here's to the soldiers who died on the battlefield, fighting for a cause that they were told was just.  Here's to the soldiers who died at home, unable to receive the help they needed.  Here's to the soldiers who died inside, and watched as the world forgot them.  Here's to the soldiers who refused to obey an order on the grounds that it was unjust.

Here's to the engineers, the mechanics, the sewer workers, the food service workers, the customer service, the retail workers, the people who form the foundation of our society whether it recognizes them or not, for they are my countrymen and I am proud of them.  Here's to the people who are unable to work, whether it is because they cannot find work, or they are physically unable to work, and have no choice but to rely on that safety net, because they too are of value.

Here's to the people who stand up for what they know is right, even though it means personal injury to themselves.

For all Americans are my countrymen, no matter what country they have immigrated or descended from.

For patriotism is measured by one's love for one country.  And that means the love you have for your countrymen.  Patriots help their countrymen up and out of the dirt.

Patriotism is not about waving a flag around as you watch fireworks, celebrating the accomplishment of your distant ancestors.
Patriotism is not about decking your car and clothing out in the American flag design.
Patriotism is not about screaming at someone for not following your political views.
Patriotism is not about refusing to pay your taxes.
Patriotism is not about snubbing your nose at the service workers, the homeless, and the people on welfare.
Patriotism is not about forcing others to be "patriotic"

Patriotism is not about believing your that your country is superior to others.  Patriotism is about striving to achieve that.  Knowing that they strive for the same goal.  And that that's a good thing.

I am no patriot.  But I know what it is to be one.  So I will strive for that.  That is my decision.

And I will respect anyone who chooses otherwise, because the freedom of choice is one thing I value about any country.

Anyways, enough pretentious crap.  What are your plans for this date that has become a commercialized holiday that preys on people's beliefs that they are patriotic simply because they worship a flag?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: It's just about July 4th, have an ode to the patriots
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:57:50 pm »
I'm probably going to attend a fireworks show with my family.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 10:58:49 pm »

Pack plenty of mosquito repellant
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 11:05:01 pm »

Pack plenty of mosquito repellant
I intend to.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 11:07:35 pm »
I work all day.

MERICA

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 12:27:40 am »
I am going to dismantle some furniture with an axe so that it fits in the trash containers and I'll have room for the new furniture I'm getting.

That might not be the most traditional way to celebrate 4.7. but I'm not really an American.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 12:28:49 am »
I work all day.

MERICA

FINALLY! Someone who shares my pain! *hugs wildly*
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 12:43:52 am »
I am going to dismantle some furniture with an axe so that it fits in the trash containers and I'll have room for the new furniture I'm getting.

That might not be the most traditional way to celebrate 4.7. but I'm not really an American.

That sounds fun, actually XD

@syao and Sirius

That suuuuucks.  I hope you two eventually get a day off to relax.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 03:42:36 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 04:00:54 pm »
Sadly it rained like a bastard today so I didn't venture out to see if there were any celebrations in my neck of the woods (yep, Northern Ireland does have the occassional small scale 4th July celebration dotted about the place, which might sound odd but not nearly as odd as the popularity that country music and line dancing has here...told you we're the rednecks of the UK).  Shame, 'coz last time I did find one somebody was driving about in a '77 Firebird.  I don't know if you've ever had the pleasure of hearing the engine on one of those things but god damn that's one hell of a sound.  It's like a 5000 ton lion having an orgasm or something.

And yes, the Firebird was the exact same colours as the one from Smokey and the Bandit.  Because what other colours are you going to have your '77 Firebird in??

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 04:50:18 pm »
I fixed a water leak in an upstairs apt for my landlord, who gave me the wrong apt number. I walked into the apt just as the lady was walking out of the shower. She didn't mind too much :D The landlord pleaded dyslexia.

I walked out on the breakwater in the rain, the calm before the hurricane or the tropical storm arrives. Back home to watch some Fringe TV shows.

Strictly my own opinion...
About Patriotism... These were Patriots...

These aren't.

Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 08:11:44 am »

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 11:17:31 am »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 07:11:21 am »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.