Author Topic: Who/What Inspires You?  (Read 1206 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Who/What Inspires You?
« on: May 28, 2013, 12:58:56 am »
We've all got our inspirations, be they a band, a real person, a fictional character, or a simple piece of music.  They give us insights we may have never had without them, give us hope, comfort, and the drive to do great things.  I'm curious to see what you guys have to offer!

Rules?  Very few.  Just list out who/what inspires you; it doesn't have to be a person, it doesn't even have to be real, so long as it fits the little description above.  After that, tell us a wee about what makes 'em so powerful for ya!  Let's do me first, shall we?

My girlfriend: My muse if ever there was one.  We can bounce ideas off one another all day long, and nobody's managed to work and mesh as well with me as she has.  Dedicated and loving, she helps drive me toward my goals, and has given me numerous insights into life, relationships, and myself that I've never experienced before.  She's one of the biggest reasons I am who I am today.

Richard Garriott (AKA: Lord British): No game series in the world has had as powerful an effect on me as the Ultima series has, and he's the man who made it all happen.  Intelligent, funny, and charismatic, Lord British is the reason I first looked into making games.  He was my creative catalyst, and my desire to create vast, full, epic worlds and stories is all due, in the end, to him.

Ultima: More specifically, the Eight Virtues of the Avatar.  I like them because they, to me, describe in as simple a manner as you can, what makes a truly good person, and what makes a hero.  Honor, Honesty, Spirituality, Sacrifice, Justice, Compassion, Humility, and Valor.  It may sound a bit stupid, but that's a debate for another thread, but I try to live up to these virtues, myself.  I may not always succeed, but I try, and I always try to better myself and live up to the example of the Avatar.

Bill Gates: Really, the ultimate nerd.  A college dropout, this man managed to turn one single idea into an empire, turned his vision into a globally recognized company, not to mention obscene wealth.  Charitable, nice, and intelligent, he's one of the men I most look up to, and one day, I want to be able to walk up to him and shake his hand.

Armake21/Marc0: He and I may not agree 100% on things, but he and I seem to share a similar idea of what makes a good, solid game.  When I imagine someone reviewing a game of mine, its him.

Those are the only ones I can think of at the moment...what are yours?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:04:11 am by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Who/What Inspires You?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 01:38:46 pm »
Steve Irwin.

He was the guy who taught me that even the most fearsome of animals can be beautiful and even passive in the right conditions, and that even when they are dangerous, it's not that they are evil, but that they're trying to either defend themselves or their territory.

Oddly, his interactions with snakes proved to be the best to me.  Since he wouldn't use special tools to keep their heads away from him, he would simply allow them to slither through his hands so that they didn't feel entirely trapped.  He did get bit a few times but he made a special point to never blame the snake for that.  And, sometimes, he even admired the wound.  That was a man who loved nature.

...Granted he was reckless as fuck and even endangered the life of his kid at one point (I think), so he's not a perfect role model, but while he lived, he was my hero.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:42:24 pm by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 03:06:27 pm »
Dienekes who taught me to see the positive in even the grimmest situations and to be a smart ass while doing it.

My great grandfather (who's name I share) was an atheist who hid Jews in Holland during the war until he got ratted out.

My great grandmother who went right back to doing it after she watched her husband get hauled off to a concentration camp.

My daughter who's admiration of me gives me a reason to try a far better man than I would otherwise be.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 04:55:12 pm »

Mark Martin:
 Yep, the NASCAR driver.  Could have retired a while back but he was at the point in his life that he could do whatever he wanted... and he wanted to race.  To top it off, if nobody (usually a rookie or Juan Pablo Montoya) around him drives like an idiot and spins him or starts a wreck (which his cars seem to be compelled to gravitate toward), he's a contender up there with the young guns. 

Most of the drivers in NASCAR respect the hell out of him mostly because he races clean and is pretty much the NASCAR embodiment of the Golden Rule.
Does it get him in trouble and do people take advantage of that from him on the track?  Oh yeah; quite a few times, but he never points fingers.  Just learns and moves on.

Mark Martin is also extremely fit and devoted to remaining so to squeeze as many years out of his body as he can.  He's been described as "Only old from the neck up".  Even so, his mind is very sharp and he follows his own drummer.  Where everyone around him is listening to Country or Rock, he's usually listening to rap.  Old school, in general; though Gucci Mane is his fave. (He also likes rock, and country, but since he's a gymrat, he likes to pump iron to rap the best).   The dude does his own thing, that's for sure. 

I've had the privilege of being able to communicate with him a few times.  The man is just an all around nice guy and a good example of humanity and getting past your personal demons (he used to be an alcoholic when he was younger).  Really... If I'd had a father...  If my sperm donor didn't decide to up and leave upon my birth... I would have liked him to be like Mark. 

As it is... he's just a great role model and has given me much information on health and fitness. 
I've lost quite a bit of fat and gained quite a bit of muscle thanks to his advice.   

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 05:58:21 pm »
My great grandmother Pearl: This woman lived through segregation, the depression, World War Two and all sorts of other things and yet she still manages to be upbeat and happy about life. She takes no ones bull shit and is still respectful to anyone she comes across and she is the coolest great grandparent a girl could have. I hope that I can get a recording or write down her life's story so that my children and my children's children can learn about their badass grandmother Pearl.