Author Topic: Runes  (Read 3098 times)

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
Runes
« on: March 02, 2013, 11:36:06 pm »
As I mentioned in the Confessions thread, I have started studying a Druidic path. My wife encouraged me to make my own set of runes. We have a holly bush growing in the back yard, so I cut a dying branch and turned part of it into a rune set. (Another part is a wand.)

Amazingly, I did not burn my hand while woodburning the runes. I haven't done woodburning since I was about 11, so I wasn't sure how well I would do.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Runes
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 02:00:30 am »
Wow... Eric, those look AWESOME!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 02:38:13 am »
Those are very cool. Great work making them yourself.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 02:43:54 am »
Not to nitpick of course, but runes are norse, not druidic - you could try ogham?  At any rate, good work on them :)

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 04:39:46 am »
Not to nitpick of course, but runes are norse, not druidic - you could try ogham?  At any rate, good work on them :)

I know. However, runes keep coming up in the Celtic books I read. They also mention ogham, which will be a later project.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 01:54:00 pm »
Awesome work.  I don't know why but I have always found runes and Ogham to be extremely interesting.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 02:43:07 pm »
Very nice-looking. I always liked the look that wood-burning produced.

Also, just for your perusal, here's a link on Ogham and its details and history. Personally I think it's interesting just for the designs it could be incorporated into, since it's much easier to write in a circle than some other scripts. Apparently they were written on monuments, like the one pictured in this article. I actually started learning to write in Ogham at one point even though I didn't know Irish, but I stopped because one of the downsides is that it is difficult to read. (The letters look similar when squished close together.)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:46:42 pm by Wykked Wytch »
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 08:15:40 pm »
A big dip in the stock market? I'm runed! Runed, I tell you!
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 11:56:15 am »
Looks nice.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 09:34:28 pm »
Since the runes came out so well, I decided to try more woodburning. I've been wanting a journal to record my rune readings. In looking around on the Web, I saw several woodburned ones, but they were all at least $50. I did not want to spend that much, so found a seller on etsy that sells blank wooden journals for $16.

I found the design I wanted

(click to show/hide)

With the help of trace paper and a couple of Sharpies (for the pentagram and the moon), this was the result:

(click to show/hide)

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 10:32:14 pm »
Very nice!
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter