Author Topic: Holy Water Harmful to Health?  (Read 7941 times)

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
Holy Water Harmful to Health?
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:33:29 pm »
Link

Basically, holy water was tested to contain some nasty stuff. Be careful people.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Re: Holy Water Harmful to Health?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 02:12:02 am »
Alright, I am assuming they ran EPA 9221 on this then did a Heterotrophic Plate Count to get those number. Yeah, I mean what did you expect considering how many people touch holy water.

*on a side note, if the coliform tests come out negative it could mean it's safe to drink. Or it could also mean there is too much chlorine. Generally speaking if you sample the water you should also take a residual and total chlorine test before taking the sample, and then when you do take the sample you need to add sodium thiosulfate to eliminate the possibility of a false negative.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 02:41:35 pm »
I'm not much of the church-going type (not at all, actually), so... why would somebody want to drink holy water anyway?  Is there some sort of ritual that requires it?

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:06:42 pm »
Gargle it after forced fellatio on the priest?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:15:06 pm »
It depends on your denomination.  There's your Baptists who insist people have to be immersed completely, but no one will encourage you to take a mouthful.  Wait a minute, there was this scandal about a Catholic Church in Mumbai that was collecting sewer water as "miraculous" because it was dripping out of the feet of a statue of Jesus.

Anyway, I don't think that there are any rituals that involve imbibing holy water, but it's still an awesome vector for spreading disease even if you're not drinking it.  And for the record, that was the best link I could find.  I feel dirty suggesting a link from rd.net. :-\
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 03:16:56 pm »
Baptists don't believe in holy water.  It's basically a Catholic/Episcopalian thing.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 03:27:48 pm »
I found that curious until I realized that they don't bless the water, they just use it for dunking their new recruits.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 04:19:04 pm »
Yep.

In fact they find the concept of holy water to be heretical.

...In fact they find any form of Christian "mysticism" to be heretical.  Which is strange because the Bible is full of humans able to do mystical things because of God's will.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 04:32:35 pm »
The bible also says that any mystics or prophets with "powers" that appear after the birth of Jesus are false prophets.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 04:38:30 pm »
The bible also says that any mystics or prophets with "powers" that appear after the birth of Jesus are false prophets.

Does it?

Dang, I guess Paul, Peter, and the like are false prophets :P

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 04:42:57 pm »
It might have been after his death and resurrectuin then. My memory is a bit hazy.

Besides, the bible says a lot of things.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 04:48:43 pm »
It might have been after his death and resurrectuin then. My memory is a bit hazy.

Besides, the bible says a lot of things.

Indeed it does.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 06:04:10 pm »
I'm not much of the church-going type (not at all, actually), so... why would somebody want to drink holy water anyway?  Is there some sort of ritual that requires it?

Apparently there's a ritual to test whether a woman has committed adultery that involves her drinking holy water. If she becomes barren then she is guilty, if she's able to have children then she is innocent.

Though I don't think it's practised much, nowadays.
Σא

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 06:30:34 pm »
Sounds like something mostly done back in the powdered wig days.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 05:55:48 pm »
A few years ago, my wife and I were vacationing in Rome and we went to the Vatican just to go there and see it.  When we went into Saint Peters Cathedral, we noticed people going over to a basin mounted about 5-1/2 feet up on the wall, reaching up and dipping their hand into, and crossing themselves.  Some were even putting it on their baby's foreheads.  My wife went over so I could take a photo of her beside it and after I took it, she looked into the basin and a look of horror came over her face.  So I went over a looked in and it was filthy.  There was a visible layer of scum on it from where people with hand creams and lotions had been dipping there hands into it.  There was a slight ring of crud around the basin at water level.  It did not look healthy at all.   This is what I thought of as soon as I saw the title of this thread.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.