Author Topic: 4Chan's "it's okay to be white" campaign  (Read 15068 times)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: 4Chan's "it's okay to be white" campaign
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2018, 04:51:03 am »
"A Modest Proposal" was clearly ribbing the privileged, racist chan-wankers on the other hand...

And Lana a corporation, government or otherwise, presumably makes policy based on areas of percieved need - which might be one department or it might be the whole thing. That is entirely context dependent. Why is this so hard for you to get your head around it?

What difference does that make?

And I understand that corporations make policies based on perceived need. What I don't understand is why that justifies outright racial discrimination. We're not even talking about AA, we're talking about "no crackers need apply."
Well that's sort of the point, if you have a job area where your diversity policy has identified a distinct lack of non crackers and/or barriers to non crackers getting work. It might not apply to every position description in your entire organisation hence targeting it at scriptwriters for instance. If it already resembles a tin of crackers you aren't going to make it more diverse by pouring more of them in!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2018, 04:23:57 pm »
"A Modest Proposal" was clearly ribbing the privileged, racist chan-wankers on the other hand...

And Lana a corporation, government or otherwise, presumably makes policy based on areas of percieved need - which might be one department or it might be the whole thing. That is entirely context dependent. Why is this so hard for you to get your head around it?

What difference does that make?

And I understand that corporations make policies based on perceived need. What I don't understand is why that justifies outright racial discrimination. We're not even talking about AA, we're talking about "no crackers need apply."
Well that's sort of the point, if you have a job area where your diversity policy has identified a distinct lack of non crackers and/or barriers to non crackers getting work. It might not apply to every position description in your entire organisation hence targeting it at scriptwriters for instance. If it already resembles a tin of crackers you aren't going to make it more diverse by pouring more of them in!

Alright, so you approve of excluding people based on how they were born in order to improve diversity. With that in mind, I have a hypothetical scenario. A company - let's call it X Corp - has announced that its Human Resources department is hiring. Several women come to apply for positions, only to be turned away. Why? Because X Corp wants to correct the department's gender imbalance by hiring more men. Do you think X Corp's discrimination is acceptable?

The thing is that, unlike "cultural Marxism" which is a made up boogeyman "cryptofascism" is actually a real phenomenon.

There are Neo-Nazis and white supremacists who use internet memes and "just joking man" excuse to spread their message. Folks like Richard Spencer have openly said that they are trying to recruit young men by making a "totally not Neo-Nazies" movement out of the Alt-Right and using things like the "Pepe" meme to do so.

By using those same memes and "just joking when I say we should kill all degenerates lol why so serius?" defense the 4Chan trolls are helping Neo-Nazis. Because at sizeable amount of the people using those memes are real Neo-Nazis and some of the others are lured in because they find a group where they can openly be racist and not be punished for it. (Partially because some of the others think that they are just joking about it and partially because some of them really are racist.)

Meanwhile, Queens cannibalism jokes are not helping a pro-cannibalism agenda BECAUSE NO SUCH MOVEMENT REALLY EXISTS!

So... Though a 4Chan troll may have a different motive for harassing people and sending death and rape threats to minorities (mainly, he just thinks that it is fun) than the Neo-Nazis who do it as well, in the end it does not matter. They bolster the Neo-Nazis by making them seem more numerous and cause real harm by spreading hateful messages and threats.

First off, I would like to clarify my stance. I do not think harassment is ever acceptable, no matter the motivations behind it. It doesn't matter if somebody is a white supremacist or just an edgelord, they're still hurting other people. So "jk lol" is not an acceptable defense for harassment. I hope we can at least agree on that.

Now, with that out of the way, I think you're exaggerating the threat posed by these jokes. If they had as much recruiting power as you seem to be claiming, I think the alt-right would be much larger by now.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2018, 12:33:46 am »
I dunno Lana, does X Corporation exist in a world where men are a disadvantaged class-or this one?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2018, 01:18:40 am »
First off, I would like to clarify my stance. I do not think harassment is ever acceptable, no matter the motivations behind it. It doesn't matter if somebody is a white supremacist or just an edgelord, they're still hurting other people. So "jk lol" is not an acceptable defense for harassment. I hope we can at least agree on that.

Now, with that out of the way, I think you're exaggerating the threat posed by these jokes. If they had as much recruiting power as you seem to be claiming, I think the alt-right would be much larger by now.

What is an acceptable amount of Nazis to recruit? If your jokes recruit 25 Nazis is that where you draw the line? How about just one Nazi? How about don't do things that help Nazis at all? If you stand in a crowd of Tiki torch wielders with your white shirt and Kekistan flag is that OK as long as you don't take part in murder?

Actually, direct question: Why do you think that the Alt-right would be much larger if the KEKE-bots helped recruit Nazis? Why would there be any Nazis parading openly if trolls didn't help create an atmosphere where Nazis feel welcome?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:23:35 am by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!