Author Topic: Paradise Papers  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
Paradise Papers
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:15:06 pm »
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Paradise Papers
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 04:19:06 am »
Quote from: George Carlin
It's a big club, and you ain't in it.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 04:23:38 am »
I thought we went through this shit last year with the Panama Papers. It wasn't the least bit surprising then, and it's certainly not surprising now.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 05:27:32 am »
Having tax evasion in the news cycle with concrete examples is still beneficial. The more it is in the public consciousness the more pressure there is to do something about it and the more political capital there is available for politicians who want to try to deal with the problem. There is not going to be any radical change but it's still something.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 05:44:27 am »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 06:28:04 am »
A bit simplistic. Capitalism isn't inherently bad. It only is bad when it isn't properly regulated.

I like capitalism when it produces shoes that fit my feet well, or video games I like to play, or cars that actually work well--when the profit motive doesn't create perverse incentives, and/or when those perverse incentives it does create are regulated away. When the profit motive fosters competition by providing a more desirable product, that's when capitalism works well.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 06:57:35 am »
A bit simplistic. Capitalism isn't inherently bad. It only is bad when it isn't properly regulated.

I like capitalism when it produces shoes that fit my feet well, or video games I like to play, or cars that actually work well--when the profit motive doesn't create perverse incentives, and/or when those perverse incentives it does create are regulated away. When the profit motive fosters competition by providing a more desirable product, that's when capitalism works well.
Look at it this way, if making the best shoes gets you rich, the rich will do that.

If avoiding tax gets you rich...you get the idea!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 01:18:24 pm »

Look at it this way, if making the best shoes gets you rich, the rich will do that.

If avoiding tax gets you rich...you get the idea!

Hence why I talked about the need for regulation.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 08:30:18 pm »
Every society has a ruling elite that controls the majority of all of the wealth and power and will use that power to its fullest to ensure it stays that way. Capitalism isn't exactly unique in that respect.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 11:58:34 pm »
Well, France had one for a while until they all got their heads chopped off.

Kind of wish the ruling elite would have that kind of fear, that if they go too far in opulence that it could lead to the guillotine.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 01:40:36 am »
Well, France had one for a while until they all got their heads chopped off.

Kind of wish the ruling elite would have that kind of fear, that if they go too far in opulence that it could lead to the guillotine.
But their replacements are never any different. Meet the new boss, same and the old boss and all that jazz. In fact, that's exactly why communism doesn't work.