Author Topic: Black Friday is a scam  (Read 6279 times)

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
Black Friday is a scam
« on: November 24, 2012, 08:46:43 pm »
From the Wall Street Journal:

Every Black Friday, retailers lure shoppers in the cold, predawn hours to wait in long lines with the promise of one-day-only deals that can't be beat. And every year, shoppers ask themselves, "Is this really worth it?"

The answer, it turns out, often is, "No."

An analysis by pricing research firm Decide Inc. and The Wall Street Journal of this year's most-touted Black Friday deals found that many of the bargains advertised as "doorbusters" were available at lower prices at other times of the year—sometimes even at the same retailer.

Rob Docters, a senior member of McKinsey & Co.'s pricing practice, said retailers are likely counting on consumers to assume that this week's advertised sales are the year's best. "People associate Black Friday with good prices, and that eliminates the need to check price," he said.

The article lists a bunch of examples from Decide's research.  Basically, big retailers are counting on consumers to be a bunch of mindless sheep who don't do their homework.

Never give a sucker an even break.

(To the mods:  I wasn't really sure where to put this, so move it to another forum if you deem it appropriate.)
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Black Friday is a scam
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 12:25:40 am »
Like I've said before:  P. T. Barnum was right.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:04:24 am »
Don't people say that every year? I remember a story like this last year, and the year before. It mentions do your research before shopping. Christmas Eve is still the biggest shopping of the year, so its silly anyways.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 12:03:56 pm »
Really?? Of course it's a scam. It's the dumbest shit ever thought up. Nothing says Happy Holidays like people beating the crap out of everyone else for some crap you don't really need.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 01:39:49 pm »
This is why I'll never understand some of the hardcore Black Friday shoppers. I guess they're that fucking stupid.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 02:10:12 pm »
Even if the prices are lower, I'd rather pay more some other day than to be in that mass of idiots.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 04:16:50 pm »
The aggregate IQ of the Black Friday shoppers is that of a Tootsie Roll.  I love that it's devolving into Gray Thursday.  Pathological greed accommodating pathological greed.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 05:12:07 pm »
Seeing as that weekend their are countless better deals if you know where to look online where you don't have to bite people.....yeah .

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 05:00:44 am »
This is admittedly more speculation than fact, but I think that since the beginning of the financial crisis/recession, Black Friday and its sales have become more important because

1) Retailers will do literally anything to squeeze more money out of consumers before the end of the fiscal year, in order to look good for investors and regulators.

and

2) Those same consumers who wait special deals such as Black Friday to buy things are probably buying on credit and/or have drawn down much of their savings, making them less able to "time" the market for the optimal time for big-ticket purchases.  In other words, these people probably didn't have much money to spend earlier in the year, due to unemployment or some other factor, and now feel that they have to buy stuff for the holidays that they had previously put off getting.

But maybe I'm wrong.  ???
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 11:12:36 am »
Black Friday: Because nothing says "Happy Holidays" like rushing out to buy crap you don't need only hours after giving thanks for everything you have.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 12:11:59 pm »
Black Friday: Because nothing says "Happy Holidays" like rushing out to buy crap you don't need only hours after giving thanks for everything you have.

This has been stated in many forms to the point of being trite.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Whore of Spamylon

• Bishop
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 04:01:13 pm »
NSFW

Dead Babies

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nTTy4RLcFA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nTTy4RLcFA</a>

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 11:55:23 am »
I do my Black Friday shopping online and I generally keep an eye on prices throughout the year so I know if I'm being ripped off or not.

And I've not experienced 'rabid Black Friday shopping' myself.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Whore of Spamylon

• Bishop
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 03:13:16 pm »
I do my Black Friday shopping online and I generally keep an eye on prices throughout the year so I know if I'm being ripped off or not.

Same here.  It is only a scam if you don't do your homework.  I mean, I ended up landing an Assassin's Creed PS Vita bundle for 179.99, and Amazon threw in a game code for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale for free.  I can't think of many other deals for the PS Vita so far that are as good.

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 12:20:02 pm »
This is exactly why I only shop at big box stores when I have to.  I try to go to independent retailers as much as possible.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter