Author Topic: Comedian facing tribunal over a joke  (Read 39419 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Comedian facing tribunal over a joke
« Reply #210 on: March 24, 2016, 12:05:52 pm »
So in two weeks you found that the most serious flaw in the Canadian free speech laws is no elected judges?

...Which is a good thing.

Honestly, the way USA elects law enforcement officers and judges is scary and leads to horrible, HORRIBLE results.

It made sense maybe way back when the country was all small settlements and "cities" were really just large towns, and people knew who the fuck they were voting to be a judge or a sheriff. Now, it's very often a case of: "Who? Okay, well he is a (Dem, or GOP), so I'll mark their box." And if the candidates are vying for a strictly non-partisan seat, it's still up to mostly clueless voters.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #211 on: March 24, 2016, 12:09:24 pm »
Also it has been proven that the elected officials prepare for election year by being extra rough on crime to gain some more votes and avoid doing anything that might risk those votes.

...In other words, if you commit a crime on a certain year you get a heavier punishment than normally and you are also more likely to be wrongly imprisoned.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #212 on: March 24, 2016, 01:49:20 pm »
District attorney's are by far the worst offenders in those scenarios. Just egregious miscarriages of justice during many election years.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #213 on: March 24, 2016, 01:58:54 pm »
DISTRIC ATTORNEYS! That's the thing I was trying to remember. Unless Hollywood and TV shows have lied to me (again) 23% of all murder cases where the charges are dropped in USA are because it is an election year and "the DA ain't gonna take the chance of losing a case."

...Luckily in most cases some loose cannon cop is going to leave his badge home and go shoot the murderer while saying some cheesy one-liner. (Just as the founding fathers of USA intended.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #214 on: March 24, 2016, 03:34:20 pm »
District attorney's are by far the worst offenders in those scenarios. Just egregious miscarriages of justice during many election years.

I think sheriff Arpaio might be a challenger to the title of worst offender.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #215 on: March 24, 2016, 04:43:36 pm »
As a one man band, yep, he wins hands down.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #216 on: March 25, 2016, 01:42:46 am »
Also it has been proven that the elected officials prepare for election year by being extra rough on crime to gain some more votes and avoid doing anything that might risk those votes.

...In other words, if you commit a crime on a certain year you get a heavier punishment than normally and you are also more likely to be wrongly imprisoned.
Sometimes being "extra tough on crime" means "convicting people whether they're guilty or not when you damn well know they aren't".

To a non-American like me it looks like a glaring fault in your system when your prosecutors have an incentive to commit perjury to keep their jobs come election time.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #217 on: March 25, 2016, 05:17:28 pm »

Sometimes being "extra tough on crime" means "convicting people whether they're guilty or not when you damn well know they aren't".

To a non-American like me it looks like a glaring fault in your system when your prosecutors have an incentive to commit perjury to keep their jobs come election time.

As a person with a bit more experience in American law than most, the American Criminal Justice system is about as amoral as it gets. IDK enough about other country's laws to say that theirs would be better (and I don't care to read law in my spare time from law), but take it for what it's worth.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?