Author Topic: No long goodbyes.  (Read 73599 times)

Offline starseeker

• God
Re: No long goodbyes.
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2012, 03:38:39 pm »
He's really gone ;_; I can't get my head round that.

Offline Paradox

• Neonate
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2012, 01:06:53 am »
Aww man, I knew I should have checked in on this forum sooner.  Godspeed Sandman.  Godspeed.
The Man of Galilee, the Carpenter, the workingman who became the revolutionary agitator of his day soon found himself to be an undesirable citizen in the eyes of the ruling knaves and they had him crucified.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2012, 12:46:07 pm »
How... how did I miss this topic? Seriously, I just frickin NOTICED it! I had noticed Sandman hadn't been posting but...

*feels horrible*

RIP Sandman. We'll all miss your wonderful wit, wisdom, and kindness. ;_;

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2012, 06:16:14 pm »
How... how did I miss this topic? Seriously, I just frickin NOTICED it! I had noticed Sandman hadn't been posting but...

*feels horrible*

RIP Sandman. We'll all miss your wonderful wit, wisdom, and kindness. ;_;

Same here. I wondered if this had happened, but since I don't tend to look at the stickies, I didn't see this thread.

I always respected your wit and wisdom. The world lost a great man. RIP Sandman.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2012, 01:30:19 am »
I never really chatted with Sandman enough to call him a friend, but yet, I find myself on the verge of tears after finding this. I feel horrible for missing it, for one, but mostly because Sandman was just such a great guy. Though I don't think I ever talked directly to him, I've always found his posts insightful and I've learned a lot from him it sucks to lose such a guy. Rest in peace, Sandman.
Who needs a signature?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2012, 01:45:11 am »
...I never really chatted with him, and I don't think we ever communicated.

That said, I wish that he has gone to a better place, away from the strife and inanity of politics and daily life. He was a part of the fora as long as I was on here, and someone I will miss.

He was an insightful man, who knew a lot, and he will perhaps continue to inspire us from beyond the grave.

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2012, 11:25:16 pm »
I'm a latecomer here, and spoke with him just a few times, and each time was a nice experience. I wish I had been here much earlier.

Regarding life and death, the best description I've read anywhere to date is a brief description by John Godey, in his book The Taking of Pelham One Two Three... "You live, and you die." Poignant, yet short and sweet, IMHO. Or maybe I progressed enough in philosophy to the point where the concept of death no longer holds a dominant edge that it otherwise would have had. Many in philosophy report similar thoughts. Whatever.
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2012, 10:18:02 pm »
It was a peaceful passing and that brings joy to me. I'm sorry to have missed this announcement earlier.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Julian

• Pope
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2012, 12:25:16 pm »
My apologies, and I thank those who take the time to read the ramblings of an old man who is really just writing to himself, I think.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dH7ZrHWaUE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dH7ZrHWaUE</a>
I think everyone just writes to themselves to a certain extent on the internet... Or at the very least it can uncannily seem like it when there's silence at home.

I also have to say without any doubt, that in my opinion at least, this happened to the least extent I've ever seen with the thoughts and experiences that we were all fortunate enough to have the Sandman share. Some people you scroll straight past. Others you accelerate or close the thread. Much rarer still are the ones you always stop to read. You were often read twice in succession, and so many could've been bookmarked in an offline favourites folder.

You'll be sorely missed, and in no small way because you seemingly enriched the lives of everyone you touched.

(I'm on a two week count-down to a pint of black in Ireland - always an experience in itself, but it's going to be that much more still remembering your presence, impact, insight and clarity. I may not have agreed with every single thing you said, but from someone who is guilty of judging people by their opinions too much, you always had my utmost respect. I also hope to have accomplished a fraction of what you have by the time my turn comes around as a rambly old man.)

In any walk of life, there is a mark of true greatness amongst those that have the time, poise and dignity to help others forward. You had that mark and everyone here loved and respected you for it.

You will be missed, but you will not be gone until the last one here turns out the lights, and you will never be forgotten.

AdiĆ³s.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2013, 09:31:00 pm »
Oh god I only just stumbled onto this.

RIP, good sir. :'(

Offline Traitor1

• Neonate
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2013, 06:48:05 pm »
I am shedding tears right now. I haven't been on this forum forever (I had to reregister) but today I decided to pop by just to lurk, to see who I recognized and how the forum has changed since I was last here. When I first came to FSTDT, I was an angry recent deconvert from fundigelicalism and had all sort of baggage that I was dealing with. Sandman was always very kind to me and gave great advice and encouragement and he, along with everyone else here, helped me through a lot. I am so very, very thankful to him.

I am so sad to see him go.

-Traitor1/Trike

Offline NonProphet

• Apprentice
  • Bowties are cool.
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2013, 03:20:52 pm »
How did I miss this?
I didn't even get to say goodbye.

I never met Sandman in person, but he was always kind to me - even when he was telling me I was being a jerk.

The worst part is that I just found out my grandfather has a similar condition; he just discovered that his body's riddled with cancer (to the point of having cancerous ribs removed). All I can see when I think of Sandman is my grandfather's face.

Goodbye, Sandman. You will be missed.

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2013, 04:44:12 pm »
It would be awesome if this thread could be carried over to the new forum when it is set up, but I don't that is even possible.

Sandman is not someone who should be forgotten, not just because he was an important member of this forum, but also because he was just such a wonderful person in general.

I wish the newer forumites could have had a chance to get to know him.

:(
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Offline Death.

• Neonate
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2013, 11:43:41 am »
I've been away from the forum for years, was a very active member for years and used to post with Sandman.

I'm just so saddened to see that he has gone. : (

He was such a good man.

Damn I'm teary.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2013, 03:52:23 am »
I wish I'd gotten to know him more.