Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1463064 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #6930 on: May 28, 2017, 01:10:42 am »
Eh. He drove someone to attempting suicide. He deserves the title. Just sayin.

Ah I see you met Shit Coach.

I too have been playing Persona 5. About Level 29, have just beat Kaneshiro.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6931 on: May 28, 2017, 01:39:20 am »
Protip: hang around doing nothing in Mementos when its flu season.  Eight levels in one fight and I did great fuck all.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #6932 on: May 28, 2017, 11:14:03 am »
Eh. He drove someone to attempting suicide. He deserves the title. Just sayin.

Don't forget the (spoiler and trigger warning)
(click to show/hide)

Right. There's that, too.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #6933 on: May 29, 2017, 01:04:38 am »
Sooo, I decided to skip Persona 3 and instead watch the Persona 3 movies. The result:

MMMMM, that's some good existentialism.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #6934 on: May 29, 2017, 09:46:07 am »
It sure is. Best existentialism I've ever tasted.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6935 on: May 30, 2017, 12:52:11 am »
I just came up with a theory about Phoenix Wright. Basically, the game takes place in an alternate post-WWII Japan where the US never developed the Manhattan Project, and therefore never nuked Japan. Instead, Japan was steadily subdued with sustained conventional bombing of its major cities that went on for years, before troops were eventually sent in. By this point, every major Japanese city was reduced to almost nothing, the imperialist government has long since ceased to function on even the most basic level and only the tiniest fraction of their former inhabitants not dead or fled, though rural areas were relatively untouched. Without even the remnants of a functional state and industrialised economy, and the US wanting a strong and capable ally and platform in Northern Asia in the inevitable conflict with the USSR, Japan was annexed directly, and massive amounts of resources were directed not only to rebuilding their shattered economy, but also to encouraging American families to relocate to Japan in order to restore their urban population.

By the mid 2000's, we see the results of these efforts to rebuild the country in America's image. Large, highly Americanised cities with an overwhelming majority of Caucasian inhabitants with a strong American cultural identity, though a significant Japanese influence can still be seen if one knows where to look, with the surrounding countryside still inhabited with an ethnic Japanese majority who, though they retain a good deal more of their original culture than their urban counterparts, have nonetheless been every heavily Americanised over the past half century.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #6936 on: May 30, 2017, 01:04:00 am »
So what you're saying is that Phoenix Wright takes place in the Code Geass universe.
Who needs a signature?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6937 on: May 30, 2017, 01:10:28 am »
A bit like that, though with less overt oppression of the (big enough to warrant organised oppression) population and more (more or less) peaceful assimilation what little of it is left.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:34:10 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #6938 on: May 30, 2017, 03:52:00 pm »
Injustice 2 - Brainiac is voiced by Jeffrey Combs, which makes it the greatest game ever made.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #6939 on: June 03, 2017, 12:37:51 am »
Tekken 7: Or how NOT to write a fighting game story.

Seriously, this game's story mode is hilariously inept.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #6940 on: June 03, 2017, 05:13:25 am »
Tekken 7: Or how NOT to write a fighting game story.

Seriously, this game's story mode is hilariously inept.

Wasn't Tekken's story always stupid and inept though? Isn't that half the charm?  Or is this one gone too far?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6941 on: June 03, 2017, 05:58:08 am »
I've only played Tekken 2 and 3 and those plots were stupid. There were like a few storylines that are serious and then there's stuff like "velociraptor with boxing gloves," "series of cyborg warriors that just want to have friends and protect a little girl and they all are killed for disobeying direct orders," "Johhny-American-Karateman challenges aliens to a street fight because he has already beaten magical monsters on Earth" or "We took a character from a semi-popular manga and have him guest star in our game. It's a farting, fighthing mini-dinosaur."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #6942 on: June 03, 2017, 07:52:59 pm »
Well, yeah, Tekken's story has always been crap. It's batshit insane and if I didn't know better, I might think it was intentional because that would almost make sense. I imagine that there isn't any regular Tekken player that has any illusion that this series has a good story.

However, with Tekken 7, the dev team decided to take a page from Netherrealms' book and made a story mode in the same vein as Mortal Kombat or Injustice. However, what they forgot was that Netherrealms had good writing on its side. Instead, we get non-sequitur cutscenes, ANOTHER reiteration of Heihachi throwing Kazuya off a cliff, some bizarre plot of two giant megacorporations starting World War III or something and Heihachi taking control of the Mishima Zaibatsu because Jin is nowhere to be seen (how Jin got control of the Mishima Zaibatsu in the first place, I have no idea) and he just showed up to the Zaibatsu's headquarters and told Nina he was in charge again. Not to mention Jin somehow ending up in the desert for no apparent reason and Lars showing up to help him.

Add to all of that some hilariously bad voice acting, characters speaking their native language at all times (so you'll have a conversation with Heihachi speaking Japanese, Nina speaking English and Claudio speaking Italian with no one blinking an eye at it) and a completely pointless framing device of some journalist telling the story and this is one of the most unintentionally funny things I've ever seen.

Of course, the fighting system is as fantastic as ever, so the important part is still there.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 07:56:47 pm by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #6943 on: June 06, 2017, 02:50:23 pm »
So Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon are a thing. And people are whining about it... based on less than a minute of footage.
Who needs a signature?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6944 on: June 06, 2017, 04:57:12 pm »
Because they wanted Stars man.