Author Topic: RIP Aaron Swartz  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
RIP Aaron Swartz
« on: January 13, 2013, 03:58:45 am »
Two thoughts:

What an amazing person. Here's a list of some of the stuff he worked on, in the decade-and-a-bit he was active (he was 26).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/12/aaron-swartz-heroism-suicide1

"At the age of 14, Swartz played a key role in developing the RSS software that is still widely used to enable people to manage what they read on the internet. As a teenager, he also played a vital role in the creation of Reddit...

He became something of a legend in the internet and programming world before he was 18. His path to internet mogul status and the great riches it entails was clear, easy and virtually guaranteed: a path which so many other young internet entrepreneurs have found irresistible, monomaniacally devoting themselves to making more and more money long after they have more than they could ever hope to spend.

But rather obviously, Swartz had little interest in devoting his life to his own material enrichment, despite how easy it would have been for him. As Lessig wrote: "Aaron had literally done nothing in his life 'to make money' . . . Aaron was always and only working for (at least his conception of) the public good."

"...he committed himself to the causes in which he so passionately believed: internet freedom, civil liberties, making information and knowledge as available as possible. Here he is in his May, 2012 keynote address at the Freedom To Connect conference discussing the role he played in stopping SOPA, the movie-industry-demanded legislation that would have vested the government with dangerous censorship powers over the internet."

"In 2008, Swartz targeted Pacer, the online service that provides access to court documents for a per-page fee. What offended Swartz and others was that people were forced to pay for access to public court documents that were created at public expense. Along with a friend, Swartz created a program to download millions of those documents and then, as Doctorow wrote, "spent a small fortune fetching a titanic amount of data and putting it into the public domain." For that act of civil disobedience, he was investigated and harassed by the FBI, but never charged."

Second thought: The FBI should be ashamed. The prosecutor should be ashamed. The judge should be ashamed. MIT should be ashamed for not speaking up. Everyone involved in a legal system that would do this to someone- headhunt them, bully them into suicide for a laughable non-crime, or probably no crime at all- has blood on their hands. Fuck you all. I hope you die before you kill any other good people.

"I get wrong. But I also get proportionality. And if you don’t get both, you don’t deserve to have the power of the United States government behind you."

http://lessig.tumblr.com/post/40347463044/prosecutor-as-bully

And, for once, the comments are worthy and often correct.

"Aaron, Manning, Assange, Kyriakoy, Occupy, all persecuted, hounded, some tortured. For what? For speaking truth to power, for revealing corruption, war crimes. For liberating information.

Meanwhile, Yoo, Addington, Libby, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Gonzales go around signing book covers and giving lectures about national security. The murderers, torturers and torture apologists are celebrated. The whistleblowers crushed."

Once again, the western system of law shows itself to be a bad joke. Lock up the people working to improve humanity; throw away the key. Pardons for the murderers and thieves, if they're even prosecuted at all.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: RIP Aaron Swartz
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 01:20:18 pm »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 02:23:57 pm »
Fred, all I can say is I re-shout everything in your post. The world just lost a beautiful human being, because a bunch of the rest of us can't see past our own ugly, self interested ambitions. I hope the career of every single fuckwit who drove Aaron over the edge grinds to a halt. Think like a human being, not a fucking machine, people. Got it?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 06:12:11 pm »
Oh look, they're dropping the charges!

They already won. They can't really prosecute anymore, can they?

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 06:19:42 pm »
Oh look, they're dropping the charges!

They already won. They can't really prosecute anymore, can they?

I know. How magnanimous of them.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline gomer21xx

• Pope
  • Squick responsibly!
    • RT Gomer Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 07:24:18 pm »
Am I the only one who is almost willing to bet that if he hadn't killed himself, these charges wouldn't be dropped?
I'm looking for patrons!  How can you help?  Check out my Patreon page! =)

As always, you can catch my podcasts and videos at RT Gomer Productions!

Quote from: TheL
I've seen so many tits, they've blended into one enormous mega boob!

Quote from: The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist
Dude, when Vox Day was born, he shot out the hospital window and over an entire tank of sharks.

Offline MrsYoungie

• Neonate
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 07:58:05 pm »
As the mother of 2 boys aged 21 and 27, this entire travesty of a story makes me so angry and sad and frustrated.
My deepest condolences to his family, friends and co-workers.
Let us hope nothing like this ever happens again.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 08:09:06 pm »
Am I the only one who is almost willing to bet that if he hadn't killed himself, these charges wouldn't be dropped?

No, you're not the only one.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 08:24:06 pm »

They'd have gone after him until the day he died.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 10:37:25 am »
This is a petition to remove the person who was prosecuting him. JSTOR didn't want him to be prosecuted apparently.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/remove-united-states-district-attorney-carmen-ortiz-office-overreach-case-aaron-swartz/RQNrG1Ck
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Julian

• Pope
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 03:57:56 pm »
As the mother of 2 boys aged 21 and 27, this entire travesty of a story makes me so angry and sad and frustrated.
My deepest condolences to his family, friends and co-workers.
Let us hope nothing like this ever happens again.
You missed the bit in the original link.

To say that the DOJ's treatment of Swartz was excessive and vindictive is an extreme understatement. When I wrote about Swartz's plight last August, I wrote that he was "being prosecuted by the DOJ with obscene over-zealousness". Timothy Lee wrote the definitive article in 2011 explaining why, even if all the allegations in the indictment are true, the only real crime committed by Swartz was basic trespassing, for which people are punished, at most, with 30 days in jail and a $100 fine, about which Lee wrote: "That seems about right: if he's going to serve prison time, it should be measured in days rather than years."

Nobody knows for sure why federal prosecutors decided to pursue Swartz so vindictively, as though he had committed some sort of major crime that deserved many years in prison and financial ruin. Some theorized that the DOJ hated him for his serial activism and civil disobedience. Others speculated that, as Doctorow put it, "the feds were chasing down all the Cambridge hackers who had any connection to Bradley Manning in the hopes of turning one of them."

Glenn Greenwald writes some really good, thoughtful pieces.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/series/glenn-greenwald-security-liberty

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 07:30:31 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2013/01/17/swartz-us-attorney.html

Apparently the case against Swartz was pursued "reasonably" and "appropriately".

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 11:40:32 pm »
It's heart-breaking that he committed suicide. I wish there was a loved one or somebody who helped him cope. Has it ever crossed his mind that if he killed himself, they would win? Why are are the activists and people who can change the world for good always successfully silenced? Can't they be more cautious or something...watch out for assassins, spies, interlopers & other goons?

I wonder if it was even a suicide.

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 07:59:02 am »
It was a suicide. What would the government gain from killing him?

The government (that's who I assume you mean by they) has in no way won from his suicide. The government has gotten a lot of flack for the method of prosecution they were attempting. Where the government seeks the maximum penalties the law allows in the hope that the defendant will plead guilty to a lesser charge. There's also been an outcry to get our laws modernized.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 07:43:05 pm »
The government creates a deterrence. That's what all law is for. They deterred people from opposing the very tight regulation of the internet.

-FDR