Author Topic: Sick of "moral" people.  (Read 1989 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
Sick of "moral" people.
« on: May 02, 2013, 11:28:16 am »
One of the things I really hate about fundies is how they often try to mask their assholery as some kind of moral virtue.  They justify their hatred of gays as defending traditional marriage.  They justify child abuse because they think it teaches them respect.  They justify threatening people with eternal torment because apparently we deserve it for our sins. 

But it's not just fire and brimstone fundies who are like this, it's people in general.  How often do you hear people complain about how we "coddle" criminals and how prisons should be harsher?  (even though most of the people in prison are in for drug and alcohol related crimes).   How about the people who complain about the welfare system and how it encourages laziness?  Heck, people complain about anyone being given an “easy ride”.  Here’s an idea, how about instead of being upset about people having it easy, why not be upset about the people who have it hard? 

Oh yeah, because when people do, the moral assholes come in to lecture.  They should have been more responsible, don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time, and all kinds of preachy, condescending things that sound like something from some after school special.  I see this all the time, especially on yahoo answers.  They act as if they’re being helpful or teaching some kind of lesson, but they’re really being holier than thou dicks to people who have (at worst) made human errors that anyone could have made.   

I’m saying this as someone who’s pretty straight laced (no drugs/alcohol), but has problems of my own, I’m sick of people and their sense of moral superiority that makes them feel justified in being dicks to others.  Maybe if we stop focus on trying to be more “moral” than everyone else and just being fucking nice for a change, we can make a better world. 

wrightway

Re: Sick of "moral" people.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:39:46 am »
It's a nice thought, too bad most people won't practice it. There are too many risks involved. Telling or showing people you have problems too is a great way to get your advice invalidated.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 03:13:14 pm »
I know how you feel. Sometimes it's like people don't even realize it's not the Victorian Era anymore, and that sanctimonious declarations of moral superiority  are just seen as hypocritical and douchey by a lot of people.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 03:52:14 pm »
Then they take the high road and call you out on getting angry.  Gotta love that.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 06:07:25 pm »
Yeah, I think the term you're looking for is "self-righteous."  I hate these kind of people too.  By the way.

I see this all the time, especially on yahoo answers.

I can't help but think of Yahoo! Answers as nothing more than a troll site.  Maybe they do have legitimate questions and answers, but I've been conditioned to not take it seriously.

Edited:  Derp.  "nothing more" is a bit different than "more."
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:18:07 pm by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 06:16:34 pm »
Yahoo answers does seem to attract a lot of trolls.  Some of the questions asked are lulz worthy. 

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 08:55:00 am »
Let me add to this rant, I'm sick of how these self righteous dicks act like authority figures can do no wrong.  How many times have you heard people say "You did this to yourself" when someone is being unfairy punished?  Even if they did do something wrong, saying "you did this to yourself" is smarmy, condescending, and has some unfortunate implications.  It reminds me of the "you send yourself to hell" stuff fundies say to make their God look like less evil. 

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 04:39:37 pm »
There's also this gem of sanctimonious moralism from WorldNetDaily grand dipshit Joseph Farah:

"The U.S. continues its slide from moral malaise to cultural hedonism that makes the late 1960s look like the 1950s by comparison, as support for "same-sex marriage" grows, the horrors of the "abortion on demand" crusade are revealed in a Philadelphia courtroom sans media coverage and an epidemic of sex abuse against children by schoolteachers, clergy and scoutmasters is not only ignored but results in capitulation by the Boy Scouts of America to the demands of those who would make the citizenry of Sodom and Gomorrah blush."

First of all, the sex abuse epidemic being ignored? What the fuck is he smoking? Second, how is this any different from what the Islamic radicals in Saudi Arabia view from us. What is it with the Religious Right and their puritanical obsession with regulating other people's sex lives?

World Net Daily calls themselves "libertarians," by the way. They apparently are as well informed as to what a libertarian is as they are to what a Marxist is.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/07/chuck-norris-michele-bachmann_n_3230093.html