Author Topic: Monsanto’s incompetence spreads genetically altered GM wheat.  (Read 2512 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-

Some 15 investigators have been dispatched to Oregon to find out how GM wheat seeds arrived in what was supposed to be a fallow field in the eastern part of the state. Monsanto had carried out field trials of the GM wheat in Oregon and 15 other states between 1998 and 2005, but abandoned efforts to market the strain.

Half of America's wheat is exported, and buyers in Asia and Europe were opposed to GM products. The last field trials in Oregon were grown about a decade ago. The company has not entirely given up on GM wheat, however. Monsanto has applications pending to test new strains of GM wheat at fields in North Dakota.

How and why this was discovered was quite funny:
Resistance to glyphosate, a key ingredient in weed killers such as Roundup. The presence of Monsanto’s Roundup Ready gene (CP4) was the first clue as to whom the wheat belonged to. This is a specific indicator of the MON* series of crops, in this case MON71800.

American farmers have not raised GM wheat on a commercial basis. The major export markers of Europe and Asia do not want GM wheat due to reservations about genetic engineering. “Our customers have zero-tolerance for GM wheat,” said Wally Powell, president of the Oregon Wheat Growers League.

Monsanto currently blames sabotage by unknown Ecoterrorists. I call bullshit, someone did a improper disposal. In fact, the article ‘GM/non-GM wheat co-existence in Canada: Roundup Ready® wheat as a case study’ demonstrates such.

TL:DR version, GM genetic traits will contaminate other crops covertly. New herbicides, methodology and additional finical resources are required to prevent such.
(click to show/hide)
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
Re: Monsanto’s incompetence spreads genetically altered GM wheat.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 03:04:00 am »
Monsanto needs to cough up the dosh to do the necessary cleanup. Treat it little differently than an oil spill (at least animals will be relatively unharmed), with increased precautions to prevent further contamination.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Crystal-King

• Neonate
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 07:56:41 am »
Poor, poor Mansanto. All that wheat, and no one to sue.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 12:19:37 pm »

Their spout about eco-terrorists might be a clue. Use a SLAPP* suit to waste time and resources of any eco organization that continues to fight them.

(*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation)
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 04:09:54 pm »

Their spout about eco-terrorists might be a clue. Use a SLAPP* suit to waste time and resources of any eco organization that continues to fight them.

(*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation)

I'm beginning to wonder if some of the conspiracy theories about them are true.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 04:13:14 pm »
CT's damn sure don't help anybody, but Monsanto does have that ice cold corporate hubris thing going on...in bucketfuls.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 09:45:30 pm »
Of all the mutant crops that I could be eating, they chose to create one that resisted plant killing chemicals that I would likely ingest.

Had they created wheat that used less water and yield more per acre, then I would have at least a bit of upside to smile for.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 01:20:14 am »
That's the problem with Monsanto; they do modify for crop yield and efficiency, too, but they are so hung up on their exceedingly profitable, repeating cyclic sales model ->roundup ready mod->sell roundup->sell roundup ready mod. Other gene mod agri companies are not that obsessive, since they don't have a "roundup"-like co-dependent product.