Author Topic: if you don't consume lots of crap you don't need, you hate the poor!  (Read 3595 times)

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
Not sure if we should start a "most idiotic article" found on the internet thread.
Maybe I am even alone for thinking this is deeply stupid.

But a friend has been showing me reason.com articles on FB and this one seemed particularly dumb.

One of the more remarkable results of the rise of industrial capitalism was that, for the first time in human history, the poorest classes of people gained access to luxury goods. Another remarkable result was that wealthier people who claimed to be allies of the poor told them this was bad for them. Recent developments in American popular music demonstrate that this paradox lives on. Last Sunday night, Macklemore and Lorde, artists who have built their careers upon songs attacking the desire for luxuries among African-Americans, received the highest commendations from the music establishment in the form of multiple Grammy awards. Their songs continue a long tradition, rooted in progressivism, of protests against the pleasures of the poor.
……
Like the early progressives, Macklemore believes he knows better than the poor what they should desire, buy, and value. And also like the progressives he believes that the highest value is found not in shopping malls but in places like museums:
…..

and apparently that's a bad thing.

http://reason.com/archives/2014/02/01/that-kind-of-luxe-just-aint-for-us-the-p

Maybe I 'm just missing the point and this article is actually sarcastic or a POE.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: if you don't consume lots of crap you don't need, you hate the poor!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 11:11:30 pm »
I'm not entirely sure what to make of this.   :-\

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 11:15:58 pm »
I can SOMEWHAT see his point in that, rather than people being content to live as they wish and let others do the same, many are actively trying to influence other people's lifestyles.

There's an awful lot of hyperbolic strawmen to wade through to reach that conclusion, though.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 12:30:04 am »
What the fuck did I just read. No, seriously, what was I supposed to take away from that? (Besides a vague sense of "I've written better essays in the study hall before sophomore English")
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 01:03:09 am »
I think I've slammed out more coherent and informative essays the night before they were due.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 02:48:07 am »
I think I've slammed out more coherent and informative essays the night before they were due.

I KNOW I have!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 04:01:39 pm »
Incoherent.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 01:47:36 am »
Isn't part of the problem with society that the poor can only rarely buy luxuries and that the media's representation on it is to discourage the poor from investing all their energy and happiness in the pursuit of luxuries because they know that happiness does not lie there? Hence, happiness can be more easily obtained through knowledge and self growth for example going to a museum?

It really just sounds like the usual double speak of demonizing anything that is not 100% pro-capitalistic squander because poor people who dont spend their pocket change on products hurt the rich peoples profit margins.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 04:50:37 am »
I'm reminded of the Fox News 'report' that if you have a fridge (among other things), that you're not 'poor'.

Yes, because keeping food from spoiling means you're sleeping on piles of money.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 08:47:11 am »
Sounds like the "stuff" equivalent of "Clean your plate, there's starving people in Africa!".

Offline Danarth

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 11:16:34 am »
Again with Macklemoore?

His song Thrift Shop seemed to demonstrate the message that you could find nice things in a thrift shop, I don't get the problem with that.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 12:50:59 pm »
The problem is that anything that doesn't dig you deeper into debt with the price obviously isn't worth having! Duh! [/sarcasm]
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 12:37:10 pm »
lol reason.com

That's a good one. 

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 09:47:48 pm »
One of the more remarkable results of the rise of industrial the kind of capitalism I hate and want to destroy was that, for the first time in human history, the poorest classes of people gained access to luxury goods.

Quite true! A very good reason why glibertarians are wrong to want to destroy it.

Another remarkable result was that wealthier people who claimed to be allies of the poor told them this was bad for them.

Nope! The left is largely made up of the working class everywhere but the US (even in America trade unions used to have quite a lot of power in the left party). In Australia for instance, every left prime minister bar one started poor. Nor is it true that the left "tells" the poor that "what they wanted" was "bad for them". That's just bullshit.

Last Sunday night, Macklemore and Lorde, artists who have built their careers upon songs attacking the desire for luxuries among African-Americans

A deliberate misunderstanding of their music.

Their songs continue a long tradition, rooted in progressivism, of protests against the pleasures of the poor.

Pleasures like "lack of representation in government". Or "low wages". "Crap and dangerous working conditions". "Death". "No access to medicine". Some pleasure! The poor need not worry, these pleasures are aptly defended here at Reason.com!

Like the early progressives, Macklemore believes he knows better than the poor what they should desire, buy, and value.

In the same sense that, say, a book reviewer believes he knows better what the rich and middle class should read.

And also like the progressives he believes that the highest value is found not in shopping malls but in places like museums:
…..

I thought conservatives valued the traditions of the past? Silly me. Conspicuous consumption is what Burke and Oakeshott are all about, I guess.

Again with Macklemoore?

His song Thrift Shop seemed to demonstrate the message that you could find nice things in a thrift shop, I don't get the problem with that.

It's a shockingly bad song. That's what's wrong with it.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 02:34:14 am »
Again with Macklemoore?

It's a shockingly bad song. That's what's wrong with it.

Actually I like the song and I don't' normally like hip hop
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor