Author Topic: Gunmen attack offices of French satirical magazine  (Read 13604 times)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Gunmen attack offices of French satirical magazine
« on: January 07, 2015, 08:01:38 am »
12 fucking dead. Fuck.  :(

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Gunmen attack offices of French satirical magazine
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 08:11:44 am »
ohhhhh, man this is gonna have a bad chain reaction...
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 09:35:44 am »
As if France's Muslim population didn't have enough shit to deal with.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 09:37:17 am »
Yeah, I'll Ride With You will need to happen there, too.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 10:39:19 am »
The same office had been hit with a firebomb in 2011.

After that attack they published this picture:

But they have made fun of everyone and everything, particularly about the "fundies" and extremists of every cause.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 10:54:37 am »
OSAMA!

...I...I thought we were...special...
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline WatermelonRat

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 12:27:43 pm »
I hope every single cartoon those guys drew gets republished all across Europe. Not just to spite the terrorists, but because it is vital for the continued existence of free speech. Free speech absolutely MUST be exercised in defiance of those wishing to silence it.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 12:32:02 pm »
Well...prepare for a fresh way of terrorism where places of worship, business, and hell homes are targeted by people who are completely stupid.

Ironbite-I'd hate to be a Muslim in France right now.

Offline WatermelonRat

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 01:29:26 pm »
Well...prepare for a fresh way of terrorism where places of worship, business, and hell homes are targeted by people who are completely stupid.

Ironbite-I'd hate to be a Muslim in France right now.
Hell homes?

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 01:34:48 pm »
those bastards scragged charb, cabu and wolinski. three of france's most respected cartoonists. my mom is shocked about this, and i feel a raging hate-on for extremists coming on. did i mention i don't like guns? especially when wrongfully used on people? i'm not gonna call out for violence against extremists. i'm gonna do worse. i call for a general deprogramming of terrorists and extremists. these ideas need to die. all they do is cause harm.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 02:18:07 pm by guizonde »
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 01:39:37 pm »
The Bill O'Reilly's of the world seem to think that the French are weak, despite the fact that a French cartoonist published satire despite threats. And now that the practice of Islam has done this sort of thing, France can make Bill eat his words.

As for the terrorists, I'm surprised it took them so long. Free speech against the Quran tends to get shut down quickly, even by those who usually defend it.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 02:21:09 pm »
The Bill O'Reilly's of the world seem to think that the French are weak, despite the fact that a French cartoonist published satire despite threats. And now that the practice of Islam has done this sort of thing, France can make Bill eat his words.

As for the terrorists, I'm surprised it took them so long. Free speech against the Quran tends to get shut down quickly, even by those who usually defend it.

you have the french secret services to thank for that. they had so many attacks done to them that were stopped that it was a gag in charlie hebdo for being late to work. as for charlie hebdo, they believe that irreverence is the highest form of humor, and so they'll keep going. the president has declared that the flag will be at half-mast for the next 3 days, and tomorrow is a day of grief. shit has hit the fan, it seems. the terrorists hit where it hurt. the manhunt is going on, the idiots responsible are going down. you don't fuck with cartoons.

edit: in support of the journal, i've changed my avatar to the face of the support movement. je suis charlie. nous sommes tous charlie.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:38:02 pm by guizonde »

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 03:28:09 pm »
i call for a general deprogramming of terrorists and extremists. these ideas need to die. all they do is cause harm.

What criteria should there be for being deprogrammed, and who gets to decide who should be deprogrammed?

I agree that there are poisonous cultural attitudes out there, but we have to be careful that an instrument that deals with those doesn't end up being used against civil dissent.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 03:36:44 pm »
i call for a general deprogramming of terrorists and extremists. these ideas need to die. all they do is cause harm.

What criteria should there be for being deprogrammed, and who gets to decide who should be deprogrammed?

I agree that there are poisonous cultural attitudes out there, but we have to be careful that an instrument that deals with those doesn't end up being used against civil dissent.

easy. preaching hatred and religious bigotry, racism to the point of hate speech, and generally violent and intolerant ideas. let's make the world a better place by killing hatred, not by making martyrs. we should all get along and not believe heretical ideas based on iron-age written works that have been bastardized by everyone and their mother.

on a pragmatic note, look at it this way. these guys are brainwashed. if we torture, kill, imprison them, or do them bodily harm, they'll be considered martyrs and serve as incentive for the terrorists to keep going. what would hurt their cause? that ex-members call them out on their bullshit. i'm not talking redemption, i'm talking a full 180 on their beliefs. it's much more powerful. look at how devastated people are when someone goes off the deep end. imagine what it would mean to extremists if someone came back up to the surface, instead of staying at the bottom of their hateful cesspit. it's not the humane solution, but the solution that deals the most damage to the cause of bigotry.

tl;dr: i'm calling for reverse brainwashing, because lobotomies without anaesthetics would augment terrorist tenacity.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 07:52:28 pm »
So, the Catholic League's Bill Donahue is out the gate already...

"Killing in response to insult, no matter how gross, must be unequivocally condemned. That is why what happened in Paris cannot be tolerated," says Donohue. "But neither should we tolerate the kind of intolerance that provoked this violent reaction."

Oh fuck me I hate sharing the same continent with this piece of shit.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.