Author Topic: Canada lacks free trade between provinces  (Read 895 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Canada lacks free trade between provinces
« on: July 24, 2017, 01:14:25 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/provincial-trade-barriers-1.4175314

This was complete news to me but if a Canadian, living in Canada buy something from one place, in Canada, and then moves with his purchase to another place, in Canada, he may in fact violate laws?

As in, you buy a case of beer in one province then cross the border to another province and you will be punished?

For an EU member who is getting used to free trade between several countries this system seems kinda ancient and honestly ...silly.

Any Canadian who wants to do business in any province must still register separately in that province, hire a representative, pay a fee and submit paperwork. Regulations on, for example, trucking, are not harmonized.

Protectionist unions see to it that workers from one province cannot cross over and work in another. An Ontario doctor's prescription will almost certainly be rejected in a Quebec pharmacy.

And of course government-overseen cartels called marketing boards set prices we pay for dairy, poultry and maple syrup.

Municipalities tell you what taxis you can or cannot summon to your home.

This, we are told, is all for our own good. And police – gun-carrying agents of the state charged with protecting us – are ultimately used as enforcers. See the Comeau case.

Canada? I thought you guys were better than this.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Canada lacks free trade between provinces
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 01:20:33 pm »
It's because sales taxes are a major source of revenue for the provinces, so they don't want you buying stuff in one province (paying sales tax there) and bringing it into another.

Never mind that this is completely unconstitutional:

All Articles of the Growth, Produce, or Manufacture of any one of the Provinces shall, from and after the Union, be admitted free into each of the other Provinces.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
Re: Canada lacks free trade between provinces
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 09:12:10 pm »
This is weird to me as an American because I know its a common thing to go from the state I live to the one down south to by things like TV sets or Cars down there because we have a pretty big sales tax and Oregon has no sales tax because they cover all their expenses with income taxes and the like.