Author Topic: Broadcasters are now free to show nudity and cussing on TV  (Read 1825 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Broadcasters are now free to show nudity and cussing on TV
« on: June 21, 2012, 05:23:20 pm »
Today the U.S. Supreme Court released a ruling that significantly scales back the FCC's censorship authority.  In the case Federal Communications Commission, et al. v. Fox Television Stations, Inc., et al. the highest court in the land refused to assess the constitutionality of U.S. federal law that prohibits broadcasted obscenities. However, it did deal FCC efforts a blow by finding it illegal for the FCC to fine TV broadcaster who air obscenity or nudity during daytime hours.

http://www.dailytech.com/America+Fk+Yeah+Supreme+Court+Axes+FCCs+TV+Obscenity+Rules/article24991.htm

About FUCKING time!  This was certainly looooooooooooooooooong over due!   I can't wait to see if they will air south park and other shows uncensored now! 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 05:24:55 pm by CaseAgainstFaith »
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Re: Broadcasters are now free to show nudity and cussing on TV
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 05:30:38 pm »
Cue the religious right bitching about lost morals.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Whore of Spamylon

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 07:01:10 pm »

About FUCKING time!  This was certainly looooooooooooooooooong over due!   I can't wait to see if they will air south park and other shows uncensored now!

?

I thought the FCC doesn't have power over cable, but only over things that require a FCC license (such as broadcasting and AM/FM radio).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:03:22 pm by Whore of Spamylon »

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 07:03:02 pm »
Cue the religious right bitching about lost morals.

Fundies are butthurt, and now networks can show boobs on TV.

This is like the best day ever.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 07:27:55 pm »
Fundies are butthurt, and now networks can show boobs on TV.

No, they can't.  The Supreme Court ruling only struck down the fines because the FCC did not provide the networks prior notice that the brief nudity and curse words were not acceptable and that the rules the FCC based it's fines on where to vague.

So the FCC just has to make it's rules more clear.

Here is the court ruling.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/10-1293f3e5.pdf
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth