Author Topic: Creationist visit  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
Creationist visit
« on: June 08, 2015, 09:57:04 pm »
So there's a small creationist museum a few towns away from the museum where I'm working, established basically to compete with ours.

One of my coworkers and I are going to be leading a group from a skepticism society on a tour of our museum this weekend, followed by a trip up to the creationist museum where we'll be discussing the merits of their point of view (he arranged it with them in advance). Afterward, he has invited both the skeptics and the creationists to go looking for fossils with us.

Any ideas on how to get the most out of this experience?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:34:05 am by Random Guy »

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Creationist visit
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 01:02:06 am »
Any ideas on how to get the most out of this experience?

Ride the dinosaurs.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 01:42:55 am »
First and foremost, be calm. The fundamentalist viewpoint thrives on emotion and passion. no matter how stupid of offensive it might get, maintain an attitude of scientific dignity. Don't be afraid to express emotion, of course, but don't let it get the better of you.

I'd also recommend a little research ahead of time. Specifically, what are the primary arguments he'll be using, and how do you defeat them. Preparation and information are the best friends of science.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 09:40:53 am »
Don't assume your opponent will be dumb.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 10:25:16 am »
yeahbutseriously

You guys have already arranged to discuss the merits of the creationist point of view, so you're already giving them too much ground. Any discussion from that starting point is worthless.

Just ride the dinosaurs. If you see something funny post it to r/atheism so I can have a laugh.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 10:39:41 am »
Remember not to take it all too seriously. It's a freaking creationist museum. Go, have fun with the other skeptics. Ask lots of questions. Like almost an uncomfortable amount of questions. See if you and the other skeptics can geta running story line going.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 01:47:37 pm »
Whether they realize it or not (and I genuinely believe many creationists aren't aware of it), a good chunk of fundamentalist apologetics is designed to provoke a reaction out of skeptics so that they can claim "AHA! he really must secretly agree with us/be threatened by us". Be prepared for their questions and most common arguments (the only true way to do this is to basically be a walking encyclopedia).

Finally, I would suggest reading up on the history of science prior to Darwin, to demonstrate to the creationists that evolution/Big Bang Theory/earth not being a few generations old (yes, I know these are different fields of study) is not something that Darwin came up with ex nihilo to attack the Bible, but rather the work of many men for over a century beforehand, with many of these men being Christians who started from a position of the Bible. This is important because many creationists today argue that the only reason science points to an old earth is because scientists start with that assumption (and thus it is ok for creationists to do likewise).
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 06:31:49 pm »
yeahbutseriously

You guys have already arranged to discuss the merits of the creationist point of view, so you're already giving them too much ground. Any discussion from that starting point is worthless.

Just ride the dinosaurs. If you see something funny post it to r/atheism so I can have a laugh.

If one side in a debate decides to turn it into "pigeon chess" then they lose it automatically. Trying to go for an intellectual debate might not work as the Creationists may simply ignore everything you say, but you guys are supposed to be the mature side of the debate so take it seriously.

Maybe someone in the audience will change their mind.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!