Author Topic: Indonesian Shia leader may get jail for saying Quran not original text  (Read 3636 times)

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/amnesty-demands-indonesia-drop-blasphemy-charges-against-shiite-leader/512286
http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/lawandorder/fears-of-rough-justice-in-sampang-blasphemy-trial/513824

Rights group Amnesty International demanded on Wednesday that Indonesian authorities drop blasphemy charges against Tajul Muluk, a local Shiite leader displaced from his village in East Java’s Madura Island, who is currently under police detention.

Tajul was displaced with over 300 other Shiite villagers on Dec. 29, when an anti-Shiite mob of some 500 people attacked and burned houses, a boarding school and a Shiite place of worship in Nangkrenang village in Sampang, Madura.

Afterwards most of the Shiite who were displaced by the attack returned to Nangkrenang, but Tajul and about 20 other villagers, including his family, were prevented from returning to the village by the attackers, who reportedly threatened to kill them if they returned, and by police.

On Jan. 1, the Sampang branch of the Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) issued an edict describing Tajul’s teachings as “deviant,” and then two days later his own relative, Rois Al Hukuma, reported him to police for blasphemy.

On March 16, the East Java Police charged Tajul with blasphemy, saying he violated Article 156 of the Criminal Code on blasphemy and Article 335 on “offensive actions.”
Shia is a minority against the majority Sunni religion, and the tension between the two sects is a well known one. Even now there are riots outside the courthouse, and Amnesty is asking the court to move the case off the island to keep attention away.

Again this is not the first case of violence from the Sunni majority to the minority sects; there was a similar case of violence against Ahmadis where the Ahmadi victims were sentenced to jail for fighting back.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
Different Muslim sects treat each other like...well, members of different Christian sects.  The divide between the Sunni and Shia is similar in content to the divide between Catholics and Protestants.  Which I guess would make the Ahmadis kind of like the Jehovah's Witnesses or something.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline starseeker

• God
Different Muslim sects treat each other like...well, members of different Christian sects.  The divide between the Sunni and Shia is similar in content to the divide between Catholics and Protestants.  Which I guess would make the Ahmadis kind of like the Jehovah's Witnesses or something.

I'd say closer to the Mormons than the JWs with the whole extra prophet thing.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
I am not at all surprised by this. The two sects are very similar or equivalent to the schisms of Protestant vs  Catholic. The hate between Shias and Sunnis si very strong, I can't remember the history behind it though.

If I were to get back into Islam, I would like to study Sufism
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast

Hmm, I never thought about it that way before, but I guess you're right.  Parallel evolution, I suppose.   ;)

--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast

It seems to me that Islam is going through the same things that the Christian churches went through in the Middle Ages, so, that's why I think that the schisms between the two are very similar.

Hmm, I never thought about it that way before, but I guess you're right.  Parallel evolution, I suppose.   ;)
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
Since the differences between the two sects began with a disagreement over leadership, parallels can also be drawn between this and the schism between the Roman Catholic Church and the Church of England.  But again, it is not an exact comparison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunni-Shia_relations

--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
We're talking religion.  This is what religions do.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
We're talking religion.  This is what religions do.

Yup

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
I think part of the issue is geographical among other things due to the nature of Indonesia it's hard for Jakarta to control the radicals

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
Re: Indonesian Shia leader may get jail for saying Quran not original text
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 10:34:04 am »
I am not at all surprised by this. The two sects are very similar or equivalent to the schisms of Protestant vs  Catholic. The hate between Shias and Sunnis si very strong, I can't remember the history behind it though.

If I were to get back into Islam, I would like to study Sufism

I agree. IMHO, the only forms of Abrahamic Religion worth Following are the esoteric ones!

Jewish Kabbalah
Esoteric Christianity & ChristoGnosticism
Sufism