Author Topic: Anders Brevick insane according to prosecution  (Read 10932 times)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Anders Brevick insane according to prosecution
« on: June 21, 2012, 11:57:32 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18530670
I honestly do not know what to think of this.  Does Norway have lower standards on what constitutes legal insanity since in America it's really hard to get an insanity verdict.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Anders Brevick insane according to prosecution
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:14:36 pm »
First of all this was the prosecutions claim that they believe him to be insane. The court might disagree.

Anyway, this does not mean that he gets released. If declared insane he will be locked up in an institution and the prosecution also said that if it is decided that he is sane they demand 21 year sentence in jail.

In either case he will spend the next few decades locked up.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 04:00:19 pm »
Just because this clearly disturbed individual was declared insane does not mean he's getting off scott free.  Dude's going to be locked up in a mental ward until his doctors say he's fine.

Ironbite-and after what he did...don't expect him to be walking the streets in a year.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 05:11:14 pm »
Just because this clearly disturbed individual was declared insane does not mean he's getting off scott free.  Dude's going to be locked up in a mental ward until his doctors say he's fine.

Ironbite-and after what he did...don't expect him to be walking the streets in a year.
Oh I know but I dunno he would probably be sane by American standards

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 02:10:27 am »
The prosecution is choosing to go the insane route because that is the only way that Brevick will serve a sentence longer than 22 years because he can be locked up in an asylum for as long as they want. it is basically a loophole in their legal system.

Think about it for a minute, if you were the prosecution, and you knew that this man planned and killed 77 people and is completely unrepentant and is even proud of his actions, and you knew that the maximum he could stay in prison if found guilty is a mere 22 years wouldn't you try and pull a loophole to get him locked away for longer? Seriously, 22 years is less than 1/3rd of a year in prison for each victim. The lives of those 77 people is worth less than 1/3rd of a year. That is pathetic.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 02:55:00 am »
It seems to me that the prosecution is revealing it's intentions a little too clearly to the judge, they want this scumbag locked away for life and they are more likely to get that outcome if he is declared insane. That said to win a court case it seems like a bad tactic to say "we are in doubt whether or not the accused is insane, but declare him insane anyway". If you cast doubt on your own legal argument how is that going to work in your favor?

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 10:53:19 am »
The prosecution is choosing to go the insane route because that is the only way that Brevick will serve a sentence longer than 22 years because he can be locked up in an asylum for as long as they want. it is basically a loophole in their legal system.

Think about it for a minute, if you were the prosecution, and you knew that this man planned and killed 77 people and is completely unrepentant and is even proud of his actions, and you knew that the maximum he could stay in prison if found guilty is a mere 22 years wouldn't you try and pull a loophole to get him locked away for longer? Seriously, 22 years is less than 1/3rd of a year in prison for each victim. The lives of those 77 people is worth less than 1/3rd of a year. That is pathetic.
No they can keep him longer if he is found to be a danger

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 12:46:40 pm »
Kefka's got the right of it.  The general sentiment in Norway (and this is straight from a dear friend of mine directly affected by what happened) is that yeah, he's going to be found completely off his nut, and he's going to be in the happy house wearing a love myself jacket for the next 21 years.  But there's no chance in FUCK that he'll be released.  He's exceedingly likely to be found to be a danger to others, and he'll be staying in a nice padded cell for the rest of his existence.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 01:24:06 pm »
Kefka's got the right of it.  The general sentiment in Norway (and this is straight from a dear friend of mine directly affected by what happened) is that yeah, he's going to be found completely off his nut, and he's going to be in the happy house wearing a love myself jacket for the next 21 years.  But there's no chance in FUCK that he'll be released.  He's exceedingly likely to be found to be a danger to others, and he'll be staying in a nice padded cell for the rest of his existence.

So then, this finding of "insanity" is purely a tactical maneuver by the court.  They can keep him locked up indefinitely instead of sentencing him to 21 years, which is what Norway laughably calls a "life" sentence.

The sad thing here is that there are no winners in a case like this.  Breivik believed he could stop the Islamization of Europe by killing a bunch of kids at a retreat.  Now the kids are dead, Breivik is going away for life, and his cause is irrevocably tarnished by his stupid and violent actions.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 02:44:58 pm »
I swear to Odin's Hammer, Fpqxz, if you start going on about how multiculturalism is bad again... She and the rest of Norway have had enough of people like you and Brevik going on about how you must not let anyone emigrate to Europe if they come from a predominantly Islamic country.

Shut the fuck up, and sit down, you GIT!

EDIT:  Removed some phrasing after I let my emotions get the better of me.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:57:15 pm by Priestling »
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 02:49:38 pm »
The bizarre thing here is that HIS lawyers are desperately insisting that he is sane, which would result in him going to hard-time prison for 21 years minimum, and likely more under the extended sentence policy. The PROSECUTION, on the other hand, is arguing that he is insane, which would mean technical acquittal and treatment in a mental institution until such time as he is deemed sane and safe for society.

I know that he has fucked up ideologies that he somehow feels would be de-legitimized if he were declared insane, but I dunno....decades of anal rape vs. treatment in an institution? I know which one I would take and screw the ideology.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 03:05:50 pm »
1. There is a difference between "the prosecution" and "the court."

2. 21 years is a pretty long time to be in jail. In fact Norway does not have a "life-sentence" their maximum sentence is 21 years (it can be extended indefinitely if the criminal poses a danger to society at the end of served time) or they could sentence him to 30 years for terrorism.  In comparison, Finland has a life sentence that has no "written maximum lenght" it only ends if/when the president pardons the prisoner. Usually life sentence lasts about 13 years. (It does have a minimum lenght of 12 years and after that time they can be paroled.)

3. Being locked up in an asylum is not an "get out of jail free card" he would still be isolated from the society (and probably from other patients as well) and kept from harming anyone.

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 03:43:02 pm »
I swear to Odin's Hammer, Fpqxz, if you start going on about how multiculturalism is bad again...

First of all, I have just as much right to my opinion as you have to yours.  The multiculturalism thing wasn't even the central point of my post.

Secondly, what are you going to do, beat me up over the internet?

If you have an actual objection to anything I've posted, you're welcome to go ahead and refute it.  Otherwise follow your own damn advice.

EDIT:  My spelling sux0rz
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:48:51 pm by Fpqxz »

--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 03:47:04 pm »
The bizarre thing here is that HIS lawyers are desperately insisting that he is sane, which would result in him going to hard-time prison for 21 years minimum, and likely more under the extended sentence policy. The PROSECUTION, on the other hand, is arguing that he is insane, which would mean technical acquittal and treatment in a mental institution until such time as he is deemed sane and safe for society.

Ah, my mistake then.  It is a tactical maneuver, nonetheless.

I know that he has fucked up ideologies that he somehow feels would be de-legitimized if he were declared insane, but I dunno....decades of anal rape vs. treatment in an institution? I know which one I would take and screw the ideology.

Please...Scandinavian prisons are easy time compared to prison in the USA or most developing countries.  Besides, just going to prison is in no way a guarantee that he will be sexually abused (admittedly though, it makes it more likely).

And as I mentioned in an earlier post, his actions have already delegitimized his ideologies.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:55:54 pm by Fpqxz »

--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 03:53:42 pm »
The sad thing here is that there are no winners in a case like this.  Breivik believed he could stop the Islamization of Europe by killing a bunch of kids at a retreat.  Now the kids are dead, Breivik is going away for life, and his cause is irrevocably tarnished by his stupid and violent actions.

So what you're saying is that is he was declared insane it would hurt his cult more than being not insane?
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.