Author Topic: Mosque Burner says "I only know what I hear on Fox News"  (Read 8787 times)

Offline wrongfrog

• Apprentice
Mosque Burner says "I only know what I hear on Fox News"
« on: December 20, 2012, 02:20:36 pm »
An Indiana man convicted of setting fire to a mosque in Ohio told a judge on Wednesday that he committed the crimes because Fox News and conservative talk radio had convinced him that “most Muslims are terrorists.”

“And I was more sad when Judge [Jack] Zouhary asked him that, ‘Do you know any Muslims or do you know what Islam is?’” one mosque member who attended the hearing recalled to WNWO. “And he said, ‘No, I only know what I hear on Fox News and what I hear on radio.’”

Source.

The story is sad and the guy is a dick, but boy, what a beautifully fitting story.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:33:25 pm by wrongfrog »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Mosque Burner says "I only know what I hear on Fox News"
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 02:43:46 pm »
This sounds mainpage-worthy.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 02:58:05 pm »
"I only know what I hear on Fox News".

Translation: Very little.

I would love to see if / how Fox would handle this...
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Saturn500

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 03:26:44 pm »
Link needs fixing, it seems.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 03:40:10 pm »
Here's a working link.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 03:54:12 pm »

Beam with pride?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline NonProphet

• Apprentice
  • Bowties are cool.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 04:14:16 pm »

Beam with pride?
Bill O'Reilly would probably call this guy a "true American," a "patriot," and/or a "hero."

...Man, they've gotten predictable.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 04:15:59 pm »

Beam with pride?

Call him a liberal plant to make Fox look bad?

Edit:  Dude, fix the link in the OP.  Get rid of the quotes and add a colon after the http!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 04:19:40 pm by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 04:28:59 pm »
B-Man's the closest.  You have to understand, Fox is an industry.  They manufacture fear and paranoia, because it sells well (gets those viewers watching the news and buying gold).  For the most part, they don't care all that much about Muslims.  They probably buy into the narrative at least a little (if only to help themselves sleep better at night), but their primary purpose is to keep making money.  They're going to distance themselves from Linn like he was carrying ebola.  If it was a little less cut and dry, they might try to argue that he's a hero, or even if he hadn't brought up Fox they might try to shift blame to liberals and evil terrorists ("he was so afraid of Al-Qaeda's evil plot that he went a little unhinged, but can you blame him?").  But because he directly implicated Fox News, they have to do some damage control, and that's going to mean discrediting him.  You can expect them to start talking about personal responsibility, liberal lawyers trying to make them look bad, and even false-flag democrats working to destroy the reputation of good, hard-working conservatives.

They can wink and nudge and hint at violence and racism, but they can't afford to go full Klansman and openly advocate without alienating even some of their viewers.  You have to understand, a majority of their viewers honestly don't see themselves as racist or violent.  They rationalize it as innocently as possible.  This lets Fox deal, effectively, with two audiences: one of open racists and assholes, and one in denial.  The ones in denial remain the larger part of the audience, so Fox has to maintain that illusion for them.  Don't tell the kids that Howdy Doody isn't real.  They won't buy their Wonder Bread.  Don't tell the old white people that Fox is racist.  They won't buy their gold and silver.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 05:26:15 pm »
Only listens to Fox News? Guys I think I figured out what his problem is.

Offline wrongfrog

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 09:33:44 pm »
Fixed the link. OOPS!!!!!!

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 10:27:05 pm »
This is exactly why it scares me how many people treat anything FOX says as gospel.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline lazerfrog

• Neonate
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 01:36:17 am »
Fox News is probably going to start talking about the America hating liberals using this guy as an example before they even do it.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 01:46:13 am »
This is actually incredibly sad.
I am amazed that fox news manages to be allowed to remain operational to be honest. It is depressing how they spread blatant lies and propaganda, to the degree that it actively harms people like in this case, and nothing is done about it.
They could at least be forced not to call themselves fox news or something.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 01:48:41 am »
This is actually incredibly sad.
I am amazed that fox news manages to be allowed to remain operational to be honest. It is depressing how they spread blatant lies and propaganda, to the degree that it actively harms people like in this case, and nothing is done about it.
They could at least be forced not to call themselves fox news or something.

As I recall, someone sued over their lies.

They got a ruling that the First Amendment allowed them to lie.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.