Author Topic: Fandumb  (Read 77565 times)

Offline aebars

• Apprentice
Re: Fandumb
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 09:09:19 am »
I read this story on TV Tropes about this guy who actually trekked to the other side of the country to engage in a fistfight with another guy who'd - get this - said that Magneto was an overrated villain on a forum, and offered his personal details in case anyone wanted to challenge him in person. And here I was thinking that The Simpsons and The Big Bang Theory were only television shows portraying fictional characters and fictional events. What the fuck must it be like inside the heads of these nerds?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 09:12:01 am »
I just thought of one. The positive deification of Ocarina of Time among Zelda fans. It's a very good game, especially for its time, but the Best Game Ever? Hahaha, no.

wrightway

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 09:17:44 am »
I read this story on TV Tropes about this guy who actually trekked to the other side of the country to engage in a fistfight with another guy who'd - get this - said that Magneto was an overrated villain on a forum, and offered his personal details in case anyone wanted to challenge him in person. And here I was thinking that The Simpsons and The Big Bang Theory were only television shows portraying fictional characters and fictional events. What the fuck must it be like inside the heads of these nerds?

What makes that even funnier is that Magneto really hasn't been a villain for about a decade now. He's a troubled anti hero who may or may not be in love with Xavier.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 10:06:06 am »
Because comics, of course, are serious business™. Actually, let's expand that: "Entertainment is serious business™"

More on topic, the Tarja vs. Annette debate is kinda really stupid. Both sides of it would think I'm not a troo Nightwish fan™ because I actually like the different styles of both singers more or less equally. Same with Mike vs. Joel for Mystery Science Theatre 3000. It's fine to have your preference for who is better, but I'm surprised at how angry people can get when you say you prefer the one that they don't.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 10:33:33 am »
I just thought of one. The positive deification of Ocarina of Time among Zelda fans. It's a very good game, especially for its time, but the Best Game Ever? Hahaha, no.
Hmmm. Are you by any change on the WW forums?

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 10:45:44 am »
A few that I've witnessed myself:

1) People railed against Bioshock Infinite because of the racism. They said it was a good game besides the racism. The problem is that the time period makes for it to be a very racist time in our country's history. The developers of BI, unlike other companies, did not just magically wish the racism away in their game. That took balls and you can see why with how people rail against it.

2) Because of people somehow saying ME3 was the worst game in the history of ever, EA was voted worst company in America (twice in a row). I think we can figure out how that is dumb considering the other companies that were on the ballot. EA was never responsible for oil spills, or anything of the sort. EA isn't the greatest publisher out there but they aren't a terribad company who shouldn't be around at all.

3) Game of Thrones is something I'm still catching up on but a lot of my friends are a part of the fandom and thus I learn about it. Apparently people have this odd problem with Sansa Stark and their arguments are ridiculous. If someone on the outskirts thinks it's ridiculous I can't imagine what people deeper in the fandom think.

4) Star Wars. Recently people have started to scream about how EA has dibs on a few new games. And I quote "Well fuck. I was hoping that it might end up in a game developer’s hands who wouldn’t tear everything out of the game just to suck more and more money from the players. Not having your bullshit anymore EA." Not even going into the fact that EA hasn't dev'd a Star Wars game and usually gives it to Bioware which if you take a gander at SWTOR you will note that it is rather successful and has had few to no issues (besides the terribad decision about same-sex romance). Same with the first Knights of the Old Republic. As with Mass Effect, people just have this blind hatred of anything even remotely dealing with EA. It's just not feasible to expect EA to disappear off the face of the Earth especially if the same people bitching are the same people buying. And once again, they'd be the publisher not the developer.

5) Someone else mentioned Walking Dead but I have another: people constantly insulting and actually harassing some of the stars. One of them was Laurie Holden. They bullied her and everything else. Which was absolute bullshit.

6) Star Trek- I have seen a lot of people bitch about it. I have seen people flat out call others stupid for liking Voyager. Not even as Voyager as opposed to ___ but just liking Voyager as it is. I've seen people insult each other about NuTrek. And the Trekkie fandom is usually pretty chill compared to other fandoms I've been in. But some people are just flat out insane about their superiority.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:48:00 am by Booker DeWitt »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 10:52:14 am »
I don't even know what that stands for.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 10:53:36 am »
Wind Waker, I think
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 10:55:31 am »
Wind Waker, I think
Well in that case, no. Though Wind Waker is my favourite Zelda, funnily enough.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 11:10:25 am »

Surely you jest. True Zelda fans prefer a Link to the Past.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 11:18:48 am »

Surely you jest. True Zelda fans prefer a Link to the Past.

Oh sure, it's the only game where you can pause balls by going up stairs.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 11:21:39 am »
Bah Wind Waker and Majoras Mask are the best

Distind

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 11:38:40 am »
2) Because of people somehow saying ME3 was the worst game in the history of ever, EA was voted worst company in America (twice in a row). I think we can figure out how that is dumb considering the other companies that were on the ballot. EA was never responsible for oil spills, or anything of the sort. EA isn't the greatest publisher out there but they aren't a terribad company who shouldn't be around at all.
ME3 was one of the worst dissapointments in the last decade. So much potential rolled into yet another 3rd person shooter and strangled to death by cross promotion. On top of that they some how managed to handle it worse than the companies that caused the oil spills. Those guys at least started pointing fingers at eachother trying to blame anyone but themselves, EA just kinda revels in whatever it has done last.

They nailed the second in a row shortly after the new Sim City was released right? I take it you're aware of how badly that went. Let's play with a few of the other bastardizations,
Dead Space 3, and it's insipid advertising campaign
The sad little thing that was the Syndicate remake. Should have been hard to fuck up in an age where tactical shooters have improved massively, but let's make a suck ass FPS instead.
Recurringly worse Madden games every year.
The god forsaken extra level of DRM they've tossed in with Origin, or the shitty design of Origin all around.

EA is a pretty shitty company, and when you're dealing with obessive fan bases that are active on the internet gaming is the full class of fuck just waiting for a target. It's really hard to be surprised, it isn't like ME 3 is the only thing they've done wrong.

Not that they are the worst in the world, they just seem to get the hackles of the ass end of the internet up just in time for the voting on those polls. I mean, at the very least it's negligence on the part of the companies related to the oil spills, not explicit design.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 11:48:50 am »
I'm not going to debate this once again. And you also ignored the other part where the same people were bitching about EA having rights to publish more Star Wars games despite the acclaim the other SW games have had when given to Bioware.

Once again, I cannot take anyone seriously when they bitch about something but are also still buying from that company despite saying they would never buy from the company again. I have not once run into someone who has never bought another EA game after ME3 came out.

Voting it worst company merely made the fanbase look ridiculous.

Please for the love of everything let's figure out the difference between publisher and developer. Maybe it'll help.

TL;DR- my opinion will not be changed about the insane hatred of EA. examples were asked for, I gave them. Probably should have stuck with the star wars example cause that one is really ridiculous.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:54:19 am by Booker DeWitt »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

wrightway

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 12:08:24 pm »

5) Someone else mentioned Walking Dead but I have another: people constantly insulting and actually harassing some of the stars. One of them was Laurie Holden. They bullied her and everything else. Which was absolute bullshit.

That was a Dixons' Vixens stunt, though other groups did it too. They ran a campaign to send hate mail to Laurie Holden and Melissa McBride. Melissa McBride's website, twitter, and tumblr went silent for months afterwards. The show made a point of having Laurie Holden photographed with some of the other actors she had "wronged" in hopes the crazies would lay off. Going by the "whoreable" meme that's going around I'm guessing it didn't work.