Author Topic: Kid bullies another kid, and bully's parents get a fine? I'm okay with this  (Read 6735 times)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
story link is here:  http://hypervocal.com/news/2013/wisconsin-anti-bullying-ordinance/

In short, Wisconsin's considering anti-bullying legislation that dings the PARENTS if they're shown to be dickweasels.  $114 for the first time, $177 for each SUBSEQUENT bullying incident!

As my roomie put it:  "that'll result in a lot of bullies getting their asses kicked... by their own parents!"
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
Problem: This would first require the school to recognize that bullying was taking place.

In my experience, that's about as common as Fred Phelps saying something intelligent.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
While it sounds like a decent idea at first glance, I would worry about the effects such a thing would have on the family. Kids who bully others at school are often bullied at home, in a low-income household. Taking their money certainly won't help the parents/guardians make improvements to provide a more stable household environment.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
While it sounds like a decent idea at first glance, I would worry about the effects such a thing would have on the family. Kids who bully others at school are often bullied at home, in a low-income household. Taking their money certainly won't help the parents/guardians make improvements to provide a more stable household environment.

This. It sounds like a nice karmic idea, but I think the main thing that permits bullying to take place is the administration's reluctance to deal with the matter and the victims' fear to report it.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
I think laws should tackle both the lazy-assed administrators AND the bullies' parents.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
I'm afraid, as a teacher who used to work in high schools that this will turn even more parental venom onto teachers.

In my experience you'd often find that the parents of Brutus Headbutt were either completely indifferent or outright hostile to you and would often threaten you for getting their kid into trouble. I think if parents of bullies were fined you'd see a LOT more of the latter!

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?

This is actually a myth. I have no doubt that it's true in some cases, but more often it's confident, popular kids asserting their perceived authority over their peers. Not that different from bosses who bully their workers, or Christians who say "we're the majority, we should call all the shots."

http://www.stopbullying.gov/resources-files/myths-about-bullying-tipsheet.pdf
http://www.wecdsb.on.ca/pdf/cyberbullying/ten_myths.pdf
http://bullying.about.com/od/Basics/a/10-Common-Myths-And-Misconceptions-About-Bullying.htm
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
Well, if they want to save money, they can just eat their asshole kids.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Now, if we would get rid of this "Zero Tolerance" bullshit, we'd damn near be home free.  Defending yourself should NOT be a punishable offense.  I'm sure that bullshit rule enables the little bastards, because they know their poor victims will be terrified of getting expelled if they defend themselves.  All it does is empower the wrong...people.

As for fining the fine...I can't find myself giving too much of a shit about the little shit's parents getting a financial whack.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone

This is actually a myth. I have no doubt that it's true in some cases, but more often it's confident, popular kids asserting their perceived authority over their peers. Not that different from bosses who bully their workers, or Christians who say "we're the majority, we should call all the shots."

http://www.stopbullying.gov/resources-files/myths-about-bullying-tipsheet.pdf
http://www.wecdsb.on.ca/pdf/cyberbullying/ten_myths.pdf
http://bullying.about.com/od/Basics/a/10-Common-Myths-And-Misconceptions-About-Bullying.htm

I don't really see anything in those links refuting what I said. I'm not saying that the majority of bullies are from low-income families, just that it's a frequent occurrence. I have no idea what the stats are for bullies and average family income. As for confidence, some are overly egotistical assholes, and others are superficially confident on the outside, while completely lacking self-esteem inside. It just depends on the person and the situation. Abuse cycles through generations, so its occurrence certainly isn't unlikely.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Doesn't even have to come from a low-income family either.  Could be some rich kids dad who hits the sauce all the time and bullies him taking it out on what he considers his inferior and the fine causing the kid's dad to up the beatings.  It's a vicious cycle.

Ironbite-I'm both for and against this.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
Now, if we would get rid of this "Zero Tolerance" bullshit, we'd damn near be home free.  Defending yourself should NOT be a punishable offense.  I'm sure that bullshit rule enables the little bastards, because they know their poor victims will be terrified of getting expelled if they defend themselves.  All it does is empower the wrong...people.

As for fining the fine...I can't find myself giving too much of a shit about the little shit's parents getting a financial whack.

Agreed. Especially since I plan to personally educate my kids in basic self-defense techniques.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot

Agreed. Especially since I plan to personally educate my kids in basic self-defense techniques.

One asshole school admin who tried defending the Zero Tolerance policy about bullying basically said reasons to the effect of, "The school doesn't have the interest, time, or money in investigating he-said-she-said complaints."
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
And I bet that asshole wonders why kids blow their fellow students and/or themselves away when they finally fucking snap.  People have their limits, and if you're stupid enough to break them, you shouldn't be surprised by the consequences.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
I'm on the fence about this. I was bullied in school all the time, kindergarten to 12th grade but I wasn't physically bullied but psychologically. On one hand, I think that parents should be held responsible for their kids' behavior as they are the ones upbringing them. On the other, this kind of rule will most definitely backfire in some way.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman