Author Topic: Sonic Fandom Cringe  (Read 16265 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Sonic Fandom Cringe
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 05:38:23 pm »
Sonic still has fans after Sega tried their best to make sure there would be none left?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 07:44:42 pm »
Generations went a long way towards reviving the fanbase a smidge.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 07:57:13 pm »
I know that popular show and movie series tend to attract a fandom following, and the fanbase makes their own fan fiction occasionally utilizing rule 34.  However, I have always been intrigued by the enormously huge Sonic the Hedgehog fanbase and the people Sonic attracts.

Also, I cannot understand how a person can have a crush on a cartoon character.  The character lives in a fictional universe that the person is not a part of, and most importantly, the character itself isn't real.  It can't love you back.

Kinda reminds me of something I put in a fic. A guy finds out his wife used to have a crush on Mendoza from The Mysterious Cities of Gold. He teases her about it and she responds "Like you never had a dirty thought about Jessica Rabbit!"

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 01:23:00 am »
Sonic still has fans after Sega tried their best to make sure there would be none left?

Sega deals a hit to the fandom, and the less dedicated fans leave, but that means that the ones that remain are the most, well, fanatical of fans. And now they are in group with no moderating influence from saner members, so their obsession is self-reinforcing. Repeat enough times, you can end up with a core of people who will never waver in their beliefs.

You observe the same pattern in some cults. Their leader predicts the Apocalypse will come, but it doesn't. The relatively more sceptical members of the cult leave, meaning the average fanaticism of the group has increased.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 10:29:30 am »
Have you guys ever played "[Your name] the Hedgehog" before?

Go to Google, type your name followed by "the hedgehog" and you can bet something comes up, be it fanfiction or a picture.  Go on, try it.

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 04:51:26 pm »
Ugh...I just played it and here's the image page that came up!

https://www.google.com/search?q=melissa+the+hedgehog&biw=1280&bih=882&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Lp_OVNLKKYSsyQSFnoDABA&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Sad thing is, the Amy re-color has my hair color. I AM NOT A HEDGEHOG! I AM A HUMAN BEING!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 04:55:07 pm »
Have you guys ever played "[Your name] the Hedgehog" before?

Go to Google, type your name followed by "the hedgehog" and you can bet something comes up, be it fanfiction or a picture.  Go on, try it.

While I didn't use my name, I did use the first part of your username, know "Ultimate the Hedgehog" would have to get some good results. I was rather disappointed at the lack of shitty fancharacters. I wasn't surprised however at the abundance of Shadow art that turned up. I should probably say that as far as I can tell, only the horridly drawn dark green fan character is actually named "Ultimate the Hedgehog" as far as I can tell.

A few of the female fan characters are a bit NSFW. I mean, what else would you expect? Of course, the artists show their lack of understanding of anatomy as much as they show breasts.

(click to show/hide)

And now, an intermission.

For those of you that don't know, th picture is in reference to people who prominently put thing like "Do Not Steal" and such on their fan characters. The irony being that these are often the people who literally trace and recolor official sonic artwork or even other fan's artwork.

(click to show/hide)

Here's some horrible or weird art of official characters. Most are well drawn, it's more the subject matter of the pictures that raises questions.

(click to show/hide)

Finally, here are a few that are actually decent.

(click to show/hide)
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov