Author Topic: If you've ever deleted your browser history...  (Read 2556 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
If you've ever deleted your browser history...
« on: June 09, 2015, 10:56:11 am »
...you could be put away for twenty years.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/clearing-your-browser-history-can-be-deemed-obstruction-of-justice-in-the-u-s-1.3105222

Next week, a 24-year-old man who knew Boston Marathon bombers Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev is scheduled to appear in U.S. Federal Court for sentencing on obstruction of justice charges related to the 2013 attacks.

Khairullozhon Matanov, a former taxi driver, did not participate in or have any prior knowledge of the bombings, according to U.S. authorities.

What could land him 20 more years in prison — where he has been since his arrest — are the charges that he deleted video files from his computer and cleared his browser history in the days following the attacks.

A Grand Jury indictment issued on May 29, 2014, states that Matanov "deleted a large amount of information from his Google Chrome Internet cache" following the bombing, including "references to the video of the suspected bombers [later identified as the Tsarnaevs]," "two of the photographs of the bombers released at approximately the same time," and "a photograph of Officer Sean Collier, who had been allegedly killed by Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev."

This whole thing is due to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, which was supposed to allow charges to be brought against corporations that deleted things like incriminating e-mails or shredded incriminating documents. But now it's being used as a way to bring felony charges against people who otherwise haven't done anything to warrant them.

[Tim Cushing] continued that, under Sabanes-Oxley, "U.S. citizens are almost expected to hold onto everything, just in case... and if you've 'destroyed' any data prior to the examination of your electronic devices, you could face felony charges for performing simple computer maintenance."

Electronic Frontier Foundation senior staff attorney Hanni Fakhoury agreed, telling The Nation that the U.S. government wants and believes it deserves access to all online data for policing purposes.

Speaking about Kernell's case, he said that the government's "underlying theory" is this:

"Don't even think about deleting anything that may be harmful to you, because we may come after you at some point in the future for some unforeseen reason and we want to be able to have access to that data. And if we don't have access to that data, we're going to slap an obstruction charge that has as 20-year maximum on you."

EDIT: Here's the original article from The Nation:

http://m.thenation.com/article/208593-you-can-be-prosecuted-clearing-your-browser-history
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:59:39 am by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: If you've ever deleted your browser history...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 11:14:32 am »
This is... disquieting.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 12:34:11 am »
This seems totalitarian.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 06:06:18 pm »
Σא

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 08:57:45 am »
Superb cartoon, Sigmaleph. Thanks.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 09:01:02 pm »
I'm toast.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 11:12:38 pm »
Private tabs, bitches, gotta love 'em.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 03:10:10 pm »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought even if you deleted stiff and cleared your history, it can all still be got. Clearing a browser history might stop Mrs. Rookie or Mama Rookie (from when I was a kid) from finding out what sick depraved pages I was looking at or who I was talking to. But aren't there people who can go back and dig that all back up? Like if there was a crime
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 03:13:58 pm »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought even if you deleted stiff and cleared your history, it can all still be got. Clearing a browser history might stop Mrs. Rookie or Mama Rookie (from when I was a kid) from finding out what sick depraved pages I was looking at or who I was talking to. But aren't there people who can go back and dig that all back up? Like if there was a crime

One, people are lazy and don't want to do that, and two, it's still destruction of evidence.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 03:32:02 pm »

Sort of? Recovering deleted information is sometimes possible but sometimes not. There's software that can recover deleted files, but that only works if the information was not written over with new data. It's also supposed to be possible to recover even information that was overwritten if you have access to a scanning tunnelling microscope, but as far as I know that's theoretical.
Σא

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 07:37:49 pm »
It depends on the operating system.  On Windows (this goes all the way back to the DOS days, methinks), deleted files are simply marked by the operating system as free space.  Their entries in the file allocation table (or journal, if you're using NTFS) are still there and can still be read, until they're overwritten.  There's also the chance of the actual data the file held being overwritten by normal OS operation and/or defragging.  If you get to a deleted file early enough, yes, you can retrieve it in its entirety, but if its been a while, then the file is likely unrecoverable.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 09:00:12 am »
Ok. My knowledge of this comes from the cop movies where the punk ass  kids are hired by the grizzled crusty old cop. Thanks.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.