Author Topic: Intelligent Drones  (Read 3192 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Intelligent Drones
« on: June 26, 2015, 07:35:18 pm »
DARPA has been saying for a while that Intelligent Drones, capable of making decisions who to kill on their own, are all but a reality. They even made one already, reportedly.

Stephen Hawking has said that this is dangerous, that killer robots might prove a danger to humanity.

Well, as long as we keep that one drone we have now as far away from Pinocchio songs as possible, we should be fine.

https://www.hackread.com/killer-drones-robots-warfare/

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30290540
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
Re: Intelligent Drones
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 07:47:14 pm »
"hey, you know what could be cool? smart bombs."

"uh, we got that already."

"no, i mean give bombs the ability to think on their own."

"what half-baked idiocy will you think of next? sentient killbots?"

"now that's a great idea! let's do that too!"

a normal day at darpa? i hope not. anybody there ever read asimov, clarke, or seen terminator? warhammer 40k (lords of unsubtle dangerous weapons) have as canonic fact that killer androids are too dangerous and were destroyed. coming from a civilization who's got mountain-sized walking tanks capable of eating planets like donuts at a cop rally.

... if warhammer 40k thinks it's too dangerous, it probably is.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 07:53:50 pm »
Stephen Hawking has said that this is dangerous, that killer robots might prove a danger to humanity.

History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 11:56:23 pm »
DARPA has been saying for a while that Intelligent Drones, capable of making decisions who to kill on their own, are all but a reality. They even made one already, reportedly.

Well, as long as we keep that one drone we have now as far away from Pinocchio songs as possible, we should be fine.

This is conflating two separate things, I think. Hawking and a bunch of other people are worried about the potential for AI that can recursively self-improve into being smarter-than-human. If such a thing did happen, sure, we might be totally fucked (depending on the AI).

The AI we have now being put in drones could be worrying on its own, but that's garden-variety worrying about government abuse of power and innocents being killed, not worrying about existential risk.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 12:38:10 am »
Nevertheless, we're drawing ever closer to a time when machines have true artificial intelligence.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 04:07:38 am »
I don't see what can be gained from this, but I see so many ways this could go wrong. The craft doesn't need to have complex thinking skill to be able to wreak havoc. A simple malfunction could lead it to target civilians or soldiers on our side. That's of course assuming it can perfectly discern hostile military targets, which last I checked, the humans doing it now can't even do.

If you want fully autonomous "sort of thinks for itself" drones, limit it to safe uses first. Things like robotic construction machinery, search and rescues drone, and so on.

Also, am I the only one who finds it weird that the word "drone" has become so sinister recently? I mean, excluding things like the Predator, they're almost always literally RC planes and helicopter with a camera strapped to it. That's fucking it. Even one of the military grade drones the border patrol uses and was shown on some TV was literally an RC plane that cost absurd money to develop, when the only thing of note was that it was made mostly of carbon fiber, making it crash and idiot proof. I could develop the same thing in my garage for fucks sake!* The Predator isn't that new, but people only think about it now for some reason. The recent rise in popularity of quad-copters strapped with webcams isn't anything new. The RC aircraft community has been making "POV" RC aircraft for a long while now.

*This is the same with the "pepperball" technology, which is literally paintballs filled with pepper spray. Again, I can develop this shit in my garage! I even know a paintball website that sells empty ball halves that you can fill with whatever, like how health food stores sell empty gelatin pill halves for people to fill with whatever. Appropriate, considering their made of the same thing.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 04:19:02 am »
darpa seems to be angling to create any number of things that could result in horrific consequences if things go too far.

I mean, who knows what that learning drone is up to right now.

It...it could be...flying...anywhere, really. The countryside, above a city...outside my house. Your house. Watching. Waiting...

...aiming...

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 09:16:31 am »

But will they be able to feel love?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 10:06:19 am »
Nevertheless, we're drawing ever closer to a time when machines have true artificial intelligence.

So long as we bother to give them proper moral programming, then we have little to worry about.  They'd be less Skynet and more Mr. Data.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 10:41:50 am »
The thing most people seem to forget is that for a robot or really anything with computing skills to do something it has to be programmed to, while Artificial Intelligence might be able to learn and rewrite itself it's probably still going to be bound by it's programming. Plus like Ravy said so long as we give it a good moral programming and teach it that humans won't try to kill it (or at least not all humans.) We won't get a Sky-net and I gladly welcome the coming of AI since they seem like the next step in robotics and computing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 05:01:43 pm »

Drawing closer doesn't mean that we are actually close (also, people have a terrible track record predicting AI developments).

@Ravy and Zygarde: True, but moral programming might be a really difficult problem. It could imply solving philosophical problems on metaethics that have remained unsolved for literally millennia. Of course, every problem was unsolved until it wasn't, but ethics is hard.
Σא

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 06:50:18 pm »
That's true, Sigma, but there are some general, basic rules that most every society has that would be less of a pain to implement.  Don't murder, don't steal, don't arbitrarily burn things, etc.  Most people learn those rules first, anyway, and decide on others along the way.  Most people don't turn into monsters, so it'd be reasonable to assume that a human-developed AI, one modeled after human intelligence, would likely have the same chance the rest of us have.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 07:08:44 pm »
I don't think a human-level AI would be modelled after human intelligence though. Human brains are a fucking mess.
Σא

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 07:50:01 pm »
As long as we keep Tony Fucking Stark as far away as possible from it, we'll be okay.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 10:52:07 pm »
There's also the fact that unless they can self-replicate, there's no chance of a Terminator-style machine takeover of the world due to AI evolving genocidal tendancies. For that matter,  even if they could reproduce, that would only happen if wiping out all humans would allow them to breed more. Unless the flying kill-bots are also capable of operating and building new mines, metal refineries, power plants and (most likely) a bunch of different part factories, wiping out the humans probably won't be advantageous to their survival.