Author Topic: How About a "Like" Button?  (Read 14512 times)

Offline SomeApe

• Bishop
Re: How About a "Like" Button?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 02:57:25 am »
Huh I thought Ironchew was a legitimate poster?
just your regular ape

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 03:18:21 am »
At some point people were making fun of Ironbite and there were like 5 or so different accounts with Iron[chew/swallow/digest/etc] names.

...Is this a common occurrence here?
I like it.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 04:45:47 am »
Whatever happened to 'Chew? Did he get banned?

Huh I thought Ironchew was a legitimate poster?

He was, but apparently that's where he got his name
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 03:45:55 pm »
Not sure where Ironchew went or came from.  Frankly I don't care.

Ironbite-I've got all the Iron you need!

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 05:58:36 pm »
I'm pretty sure that Ironchew said that he used the name somewhere else first but the subsequent IronJaw, FerrousChomp etc were all taking the micky

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 06:01:59 pm »
Not sure where Ironchew went or came from.  Frankly I don't care.

Ironbite-I've got all the Iron you need!

I'd make an account called "Potassiumbite" or something but I don't want to tick off Sigma and Askold.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

pyro

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 07:56:07 pm »
We had a points system and some people were ganged up on and some got upset. There was really no real benefit to it and as the only outcome was either "meh" or sadness the system was removed.

I have seen a like mechanic on a different forum where it lists the members who have liked a specific post and it's being used as a way to say "me too, I also agree with this" and it seems to work.

GitHub does it this way, and so does any forum running on Discourse. It's really good for avoiding drama, since anybody that clicks that button can be asked why they voted (and know they can be asked), and people don't speculate.

(Personally, I have no complaints about Discourse other than how slow it is).

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 03:28:10 am »
I do not, at all, want the Karma system to come back. Too much drama. However, I do like the idea of a like button because I liked the Karma system when it wasn't being abused.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 06:27:04 am »
Like I've said: I would like if I could "like" a comment so that instead of making another comment where I just say "+1" or something the "like" would convey the same message without cluttering the thread.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 07:35:57 am »
This went on two pages... no we should not bring this back in any incarnation because someone will like something, or not like something, then feelings will be hurt, the offended will like/smite-spam back, and someone will call me a bitch or something like that in F&B.

Close the thread, and anyone seriously considering this should be put in time-out.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

pyro

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 12:08:18 pm »
This went on two pages... no we should not bring this back in any incarnation because someone will like something, or not like something, then feelings will be hurt, the offended will like/smite-spam back, and someone will call me a bitch or something like that in F&B.

Close the thread, and anyone seriously considering this should be put in time-out.

The problem isn't the "Like" button itself. It's the fact that Reddit and Facebook conflate "Like" with "Make this more visible."

The system that I want is literally just a less cluttering way to respond with an "I agree." It's how GitHub, Discourse, Slack, and I'm sure other systems that I don't use work. It's designed to not create as much dumb drama as the anonymous votes on Reddit, and to not generate filter bubbles like Facebook.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 06:13:22 pm »
That may well work on a site with a larger userbase than this one. In the past, even when we had significantly more members, it resulted in massive amounts of drama. It prompted people who were normally pretty relaxed to almost immediately step out of their pants and pull them over their heads while frothing from the mouth.

Let's not do it again crackers.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2017, 06:16:44 pm »
That may well work on a site with a larger userbase than this one. In the past, even when we had significantly more members, it resulted in massive amounts of drama. It prompted people who were normally pretty relaxed to almost immediately step out of their pants and pull them over their heads while frothing from the mouth.

Let's not do it again crackers.

Yeah, listen to the god damn squirrel when he talks to you.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

pyro

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 07:34:32 pm »

Discourse is basically a more Modern(tm) version of Simple Machines, I've seen it used for communities as small as two, and I honestly can't say I've seen the Like button cause drama. Similarly, while GitHub and Slack themselves might be large, an individual repo/team can vary wildly in size (from one-person repos to things like Bootstrap) and those are really just services for hosting your own community, not big monolithic communities.

Personally, I expect the non-anonymous Like button to cause more drama in larger communities, because once you break 100 likes, it stops mattering that the names are all available because nobody's going to read them all. Then again, once you break 100 "I agree" comments, the thread has been killed.

So I'm going to go direct question: Did the old Like system affect visibility, and was it anonymous?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:36:13 pm by pyro »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 07:39:10 pm »
I don't believe it affected visibility, since it applied to posters rather than posts, but it was anonymous. Plus, it was a like/dislike system, which caused yet more drama.

Just don't bring it back. Period. More trouble than it was worth.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.