Author Topic: ACLJ: Lying for the Lord!  (Read 1763 times)

Offline KingOfRhye

• Pope
ACLJ: Lying for the Lord!
« on: October 12, 2017, 11:49:32 am »
I was first going to just submit this on FSTDT, but it kinda requires a bit of explanation, so I figured I'd go into it here instead....

I'd actually not even heard of the "American Center for Law and Justice" until just now, when I saw a Facebook comment from one of my more conservative relatives regarding this story.

https://aclj.org/is-it-unconstitutional-for-hotels-to-place-bibles-in-their-rooms

"For over a year, an angry atheist group has been trying to ban the Bible from hotel rooms across the United States. They say that the Bible is “obnoxious” and insultingly claim that it "calls for killing non-believers.” They even make the absurd claim that it is “unconstitutional to have them” in hotel rooms.

Christian groups like the Gideons have placed Bibles in hotel rooms for decades and the Constitution protects religious speech. So what are these angry atheists basing their argument on? Is it really unconstitutional for hotels to place Bibles in their rooms? Fill out the form and download our free legal guide to find out what the Constitution has to say about this controversial issue."

Please note....that is the entire content of the story.  No citations, no links, no nothing.  Naturally, I had to check it out myself.....and they apparently either got confused and mixed up two stories, or they're just lying about it.  Of course, the "angry atheist group" is the FFRF.

https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/item/24917-ffrf-requests-bible-free-hotel-rooms

(the FFRF sent a letter to major hotel companies asking them to offer "bible-free rooms".  Nowhere did they claim having Bibles in rooms was unconstitutional.)

https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/item/29254-ffrf-ardently-protests-gideon-bible-distribution-in-texas-school

(THAT is what they were saying is unconstitutional.  And, well, it IS, being that it's public schools we're talking about here!)

Also note that the ACLJ was founded by Pat Robertson and is ran by Jay Sekulow (one of Trump's lawyers, and pretty much a total fundie).....so I guess this is the sort of thing we should expect from them.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: ACLJ: Lying for the Lord!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 12:45:45 pm »
ACLJ?  Sounds enough like the ACLU to confuse the dumbasses.

Ironbite-which is probably the point.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 01:12:07 pm »
Actually, they openly stand against the ACLU, calling it a bad thing in most of their commercials. (I used to have to listen to a lot of christian radio, which was the main place they advertised back in the late 2000's) They present themselves as "the Godly alternative" and the ones actually fighting for your rights, where the ACLU just wants to take your precious freedoms away.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 09:21:40 pm »
(I used to have to listen to a lot of christian radio, which was the main place they advertised back in the late 2000's)

I'm sorry to hear this.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 09:39:37 pm »
Meh. That's the least bad thing outlined in that post, honestly. They're trying to turn people against the ACLU because that organization fights for the rights of women, minorities, and LGBT groups.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 10:32:27 pm »
Meh. That's the least bad thing outlined in that post, honestly. They're trying to turn people against the ACLU because that organization fights for the rights of women, minorities, and LGBT groups.

http://www.aclufightsforchristians.com/

::)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.