Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1630272 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #4005 on: December 09, 2013, 10:34:58 am »

WHEN POLITICAL CARTOONISTS REACH THE MORAL EVENT HORIZON!

Now, I need a shower....
I'm tempted to send that guy an email.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:41:09 am by I am lizard »

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #4006 on: December 09, 2013, 11:19:27 am »
Is that the challenger explosion?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4007 on: December 09, 2013, 11:23:09 am »
Yes the original cartoon was made to commemerate the explosion.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #4008 on: December 09, 2013, 11:29:07 am »
Send that to NASA. Let them take vengeance.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4009 on: December 09, 2013, 11:41:15 am »

Now, I need a shower....

I could send that to the retired support staff for that mission still living in Satellite Beach, down the road from me, but it would make them sob. My mom watched that explosion live from 10 miles off in Titusville. It was the one time she went to the trouble of dealing with the traffic and crowds to see a launch up close. You can see all Cape Canaveral launches from my front yard if there is no cloud cover in the 45 mile stretch between my place and the launch pads. You could here the shuttles, too, the rocket engines on them were so fucking huge.

ADDENDUM:

I am lizard, you have the right idea. Below is a paste of the email I just sent to 2013@creators.com

To Mr. or Ms. Ramirez, cartoonist for Investors Daily;

Using the photo of the STS Challenger exploding as the main element of a political cartoon is obscenely disrespectful. That event was a national tragedy, had no political overtones to begin with, and should never be used for expressing sarcasm. Notice the small objects in a loose group, streaming away from the right side of the main explosion smoke plume? Those are the crew members' bodies after their seats automatically ejected when the latched dome over the crew and cockpit compartment automatically popped off when catastrophic launch failure was recognized by the onboard systems a split second before the main explosion.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:00:00 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4010 on: December 09, 2013, 07:05:46 pm »

Now, I need a shower....

I could send that to the retired support staff for that mission still living in Satellite Beach, down the road from me, but it would make them sob. My mom watched that explosion live from 10 miles off in Titusville. It was the one time she went to the trouble of dealing with the traffic and crowds to see a launch up close. You can see all Cape Canaveral launches from my front yard if there is no cloud cover in the 45 mile stretch between my place and the launch pads. You could here the shuttles, too, the rocket engines on them were so fucking huge.

ADDENDUM:

I am lizard, you have the right idea. Below is a paste of the email I just sent to 2013@creators.com

Using the photo of the STS Challenger exploding as the main element of a political cartoon is obscenely disrespectful. That event was a national tragedy, had no political overtones to begin with, and should never be used for expressing sarcasm. Notice the small objects in a loose group, streaming away from the right side of the main explosion smoke plume? Those are the crew members' bodies after their seats automatically ejected when the latched dome over the crew and cockpit compartment automatically popped off when catastrophic launch failure was recognized by the onboard systems a split second before the main explosion.
If we don't get a sincere apology from hum then I say we consider him to have officially crossed the morale event horizon. 

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #4011 on: December 10, 2013, 12:47:43 am »
Yes the original cartoon was made to commemerate the explosion.

You mean this is another decent political cartoon that was re-edited with stupid stuff?

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #4012 on: December 10, 2013, 12:58:39 am »
Quote from: MellonORL

Using the photo of the STS Challenger exploding as the main element of a political cartoon is obscenely disrespectful. That event was a national tragedy, had no political overtones to begin with, and should never be used for expressing sarcasm. Notice the small objects in a loose group, streaming away from the right side of the main explosion smoke plume? Those are the crew members' bodies after their seats automatically ejected when the latched dome over the crew and cockpit compartment automatically popped off when catastrophic launch failure was recognized by the onboard systems a split second before the main explosion. (Bolding mine - SP)

You know, after all these years and all the hundreds of times I must have seen that same footage, I didn't know that was what those trails were.  I thought they were bits of exploded fuel cell or something like that.   That only makes my memory of the event more haunting, only after the fact.   Kinda feel now how I felt when I saw a guy jump to his death on live TV on September 11.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #4013 on: December 10, 2013, 01:07:43 am »
I thought they stayed in the detached cockpit & possibly alive during the descent. I'm confused.

But if that info is wrong and those "streams" were the bodies, then that footage becomes extra-creepy.

It's creepy and horrifying either way but seeing the occupants on-camera gives a whole new horrible angle to it.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #4014 on: December 10, 2013, 05:48:14 am »

Beautifully said, as always.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #4015 on: December 10, 2013, 10:27:54 am »
My brother is best friends with a retired mission control center technician (he monitored telemetry data -streams of numbers, not visuals - but they are all in the same room and they all talk). The media almost immediately quashed the early reports about the bodies and "corrected" it to small "debris" streams. There was already more than enough grief about the disaster, and I guess some higher-ups justifiably figured it was a matter of privacy and dignity for the deceased astronauts' families, and respect for the dead, to put a stop to a very extreme piece of TMI.

Understand, that the seat eject system was not designed to save lives - that is impossible when a Saturn 5 plus two boosters fails at high altitude and acceleration; it's not like the astronauts have a fighter pilot's parachute on their seats or suits. Because of the blown cabin roof and seat ejections, some few body parts were recoverable. The launch was aimed outward over the Atlantic, as they all are, so most partial remains that did not completely immolate and disintegrate on the way down sunk into the water and were not recovered. There were no monitored screams from the astronauts mics - they died instantly from the massive concussive shock force of the blasts.

Spuki, what you are recalling maybe are reports about STS Columbia when it broke up on re-entry.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #4016 on: December 10, 2013, 11:07:12 am »
My brother is best friends with a retired mission control center technician (he monitored telemetry data -streams of numbers, not visuals - but they are all in the same room and they all talk). The media almost immediately quashed the early reports about the bodies and "corrected" it to small "debris" streams. There was already more than enough grief about the disaster, and I guess some higher-ups justifiably figured it was a matter of privacy and dignity for the deceased astronauts' families, and respect for the dead, to put a stop to a very extreme piece of TMI.

Understand, that the seat eject system was not designed to save lives - that is impossible when a Saturn 5 plus two boosters fails at high altitude and acceleration; it's not like the astronauts have a fighter pilot's parachute on their seats or suits. Because of the blown cabin roof and seat ejections, some few body parts were recoverable. The launch was aimed outward over the Atlantic, as they all are, so most partial remains that did not completely immolate and disintegrate on the way down sunk into the water and were not recovered. There were no monitored screams from the astronauts mics - they died instantly from the massive concussive shock force of the blasts.

Spuki, what you are recalling maybe are reports about STS Columbia when it broke up on re-entry.

Here's what I'm talking about:
http://articles.philly.com/1986-04-15/news/26076331_1_stena-workhorse-rocket-booster-presidential-shuttle-commission

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-03-10/news/8601180147_1_crew-cabin-crew-members-challenger-cabin

The bodies & the cockpit were a torn up, unidentifiable mess but the crew were inside the cockpit.

However, Columbia is the one with the body parts scattered all over the place (forgive me for being blunt).

http://enquirer.com/editions/2003/02/02/loc_wwwdebris.html

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20030203/main1.htm

That said, both were genuine tragedies and my condolences to the families. That said, while mellenORL has written an awesome retort to the ghouls who cranked out that cartoon, I really don't want him to look kinda, well, wrong.

However, if mellenORL's brother worked for NASA, perhaps reports were wrong....or his brother confused the two.

Now, I'm confused.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #4017 on: December 10, 2013, 02:06:44 pm »
My brother's friend worked for NASA; my brother works as a surgical nurse in a county hospital trauma unit, and I think this is clearly a case of me switching the sets of reports in my memory of our conversations about the two separate incidents. In any case, I still hate that cartoonist, and that email bounced back at me as undeliverable, so Ramirez has not seen it. Fuck him, anyway.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #4018 on: December 10, 2013, 02:21:38 pm »
Bugger.  :(

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4019 on: December 11, 2013, 12:47:10 am »
My understanding is that no space shuttles after the first two prototype launches contained any ejection system. To include one of any kind would take up too much space for something that wasn't of any use. This is further proved by the fact that there was a lot of research in to refitting the shuttles with an eject system after one of the disasters and it was found to be next to impossible without totally rebuilding the shuttle.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov