Author Topic: Good/bad anime thread  (Read 70088 times)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
Re: Good/bad anime thread
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2012, 06:04:45 pm »
Serial Experiments Lain - If "mind fuck" were in the dictionary, this show would be in the description.

Ha, we were just watching this last night and calling it super mind-fucky. And I enjoy a healthy dose of that, for sure.

An old friend of mine used to call weird anime endings "Lain-ish."

Seen Evangelion and Rahxephon to the end? That's a slightly different, but still interesting type of mindfuck.

(click to show/hide)

Eva, yes.  RahXephon, no, but I could tell things were starting to get weird by the time I quit watching.  The UAH Anime Club lost interest around ep 10 or so and switched to DNAngel.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2012, 12:45:03 am »
Has anyone here played the visual novel "Katawa Shoujo" that was released last month? It's been gaining a lot of popularity in certain parts of the internet recently.

Here are some reviews, if you're interested. [1] [2]

The circumstances that led to it's creation are quite interesting, although I won't retell it here, as you can find the story online pretty easily.

I've never played a visual novel before, but I decided that since it was entirely free, I had nothing to lose. To say that what I experienced wasn't what I was expecting would be a vast understatement. I went into it expecting something cheesy, crass, and exploitative, due to it's potentially offensive premise. Instead, what I got was one of the most sincere, emotionally powerful, and downright heart-rending stories I've read in a long time.

Seriously. By the end of the whole thing my face probably looked something like this:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:47:28 am by VirtualStranger »

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2012, 12:54:52 am »
Has anyone here played the visual novel "Katawa Shoujo" that was released last month? It's been gaining a lot of popularity in certain parts of the internet recently.

The circumstances that led to it's creation are quite interesting, although I won't retell it here, as you can find the story online pretty easily.

I've never played a visual novel before, but I decided that since it was entirely free, I had nothing to lose. To say that what I experienced wasn't what I was expecting would be a vast understatement. I went into it expecting something cheesy, crass, and exploitative, due to it's potentially offensive premise. Instead, what I got was one of the most sincere, emotionally powerful, and downright heart-rending stories I've read in a long time.

Seriously. By the end of the whole thing my face probably looked something like this:

So far, I've only played through with Emi. But I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at how seriously they took a game about dating girls with disabilities. I'm not really sure about the treatment of the other girls in the game so far, but Emi certainly never came across as hindered by her missing legs. She was a powerful character, and the kind of girl I'd probably date for real. Even the sex scenes never looked awkward.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2012, 01:58:24 pm »
I recently found a new anime (as in, the first episode aired in January) that I pretty much instantly fell in love with: Bodacious Space Pirates. What I like most about it is that it feels a lot closer to many Western space shows, like Star Trek. The two leads are sort of like what Kirk and Spock would be if they were high school girls. Also, a word to the wise. Do not fuck with the Hakuho Academy Senior High School Space Yacht Club.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2012, 02:36:50 pm »
I recently found a new anime (as in, the first episode aired in January) that I pretty much instantly fell in love with: Bodacious Space Pirates. What I like most about it is that it feels a lot closer to many Western space shows, like Star Trek. The two leads are sort of like what Kirk and Spock would be if they were high school girls. Also, a word to the wise. Do not fuck with the Hakuho Academy Senior High School Space Yacht Club.

Watching that as well, along with Aquarion Evol from this season. It's nice to see a show with high school girls that isn't shameless fanservice or slice of life, the rather hard sci-fi aspect really works well though.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2012, 03:32:42 pm »
Anyone here tried reading Uzumaki?

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2012, 07:52:38 am »
Favorites: Dragon Ball/Z (up to the Frieza saga)(GT sucks ass), Naruto/Shippuden (the filler parts suck, but the story line is cool, and I have to add this, Hinata is fucking hot), Inuyasha/Final Act (I think the character development was awesome), Samurai Champloo (there's not enough words to say how great this was, even if Fuu was a whiney bitch), Full Metal Alchemist/Brotherhood (when I first read about it, I didn't think I'd like it, but it turns out it's pretty good so far), Bleach, Ninja Scroll (I don't care much for the sex scenes, but other than that, it's ok), Vampire Hunter D, Cowboy Beebop, Deathnote (the plot is absolutely amazing, and I love the characters)

Least Favorites: Trinity Blood (I don't know what to say about this, other than it gave me a headache, and was boring as hell), Princess Mononoke, anything Gundam (I don't really get into the tech things so much), Sailor Moon, Ghost in the Shell (no real reason other than I just couldn't get into it)

Honorable Mentions: Yuyu Hakusho (I think it's pretty good), Elfen Lied (that's one fucked up anime), Pokemon (early), Yugioh (early), Akira (some people love it, some people hate it, I kind of liked it)

One's to watch in the future: Slayers, Rurouni Kenshin (my little brother has been trying to get me to watch this one)

One's I don't plan on watching: Evangelion, Ranma 1/2, One Piece (this one just looks crappy, with a bad story line)

I try to only watch anime's that I think I'll like, so the not like list is kind of small.  I tend to like shonen, and particularly (as you can tell from my list) Shonen Jump.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:35:34 am by one-shot »
All things are no-thing.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2012, 08:34:41 am »
Honorable Mentions: Yuyu Hakusho, Elfen Lied (that's one fucked up anime), Pokemon (early), Yugioh (early), Akira

You know, I honestly feel Pokemon's anime has improved quite a bit over the years. It has much better characterization these days, and is a heck of a lot better about sticking to the rules of the video games. No Pokemon knows more than 4 attacks (for instance, Pikachu recently forgot Volt Tackle when it learned to use the new 5th-generation move Electro Ball--it hasn't used Volt Tackle once since learning the new move, but has continued to use Thunderbolt, Quick Attack, and Iron Tail), and Pikachu hasn't electrocuted a Ground-type in ages. Plus, they no longer just shove badges at Ash randomly whenever he loses a battle. Instead, he typically trains for a while to learn some new tactic, which will actually carry on throughout the series well after the gym battle he initially developed it for. That kind of character progress just didn't exist in the series before the 3rd generation arcs, and has gotten better as time goes on.

I've watched the first couple of episodes and have been rather pleased so far. I need to catch up with it, though.

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2012, 08:40:43 am »
Honorable Mentions: Yuyu Hakusho, Elfen Lied (that's one fucked up anime), Pokemon (early), Yugioh (early), Akira

You know, I honestly feel Pokemon's anime has improved quite a bit over the years. It has much better characterization these days, and is a heck of a lot better about sticking to the rules of the video games. No Pokemon knows more than 4 attacks (for instance, Pikachu recently forgot Volt Tackle when it learned to use the new 5th-generation move Electro Ball--it hasn't used Volt Tackle once since learning the new move, but has continued to use Thunderbolt, Quick Attack, and Iron Tail), and Pikachu hasn't electrocuted a Ground-type in ages. Plus, they no longer just shove badges at Ash randomly whenever he loses a battle. Instead, he typically trains for a while to learn some new tactic, which will actually carry on throughout the series well after the gym battle he initially developed it for. That kind of character progress just didn't exist in the series before the 3rd generation arcs, and has gotten better as time goes on.

Hm, I might have to check out the newer ones, it seems. 

All things are no-thing.

Offline BrandonL337

• Tyrannical Pervert Judge (MWAHAHAHA)
  • Apprentice
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2012, 03:49:11 pm »

mmm, heard of it before release download a couple weeks ago and it promptly ate my life for the next 4-5 day, finishes Emi's, Hanako's, and Shizune's route. haven't started a new route yet because Rin is next and i'm scared to start the tear-fest. dunno what i'm gonna do when i go for the bad endings for 100%

Offline Normandy

• Pope
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2012, 08:20:46 pm »

I definitely want to play this, but I'm waiting until I have more time for it, because I know it will consume me once I start.

I've been watching it too.  Honestly I was put off by the first few episodes and how slow it was to get to the actual pirating, but now that it's started I'm excited to see where it's gonna go.

The best anime of this season is definitely Another, though.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2012, 08:32:02 pm »
It was a short one, but I think I should give props to Ichiban Ushiro no Daimou. :3  SEA CUCUMBER~
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2012, 08:36:00 pm »
I haven't seen Claymore. I'm told it's interesting. Is it worth watching?

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2012, 08:50:26 pm »

I've heard it starts out awesome but is a letdown near the end, but other than that pretty good.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2012, 09:13:50 pm »

I've heard it starts out awesome but is a letdown near the end, but other than that pretty good.

As most anime usually do. lol

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!